Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calypsochick

please look at my estimates!

calypsochick
14 years ago

Hi, all. So, I have my estimates for kitchen cabinets, and I've narrowed it down to two. Except they seem to be on opposite ends of the spectrum! One is an estimate for gorgeous high-end custom cabinets from a showroom in NYC. The other is from a custom cabinetmaker who seems to mainly do a lot of commercial work, but also does residential kitchens. What do you all think?? I cannot make up my mind!!! Am I really just paying a premium for the fancy showroom? Is that all it comes down to? I'm just so concerned with quality!

High-End Cabinets

$24k for cabinets

$3k for installation

Individual Custom Cabinetmaker Guy (small company, also general contractors)

$14k for Cabinets

$5,600 for demo, installation and painting

Comments (13)

• sunnny
    14 years ago

Price doesn't always mean quality. If it were me I'd base my decision on quality, will they stand behind their work, are they easy to work with.
    Good luck with yoru decision.
    Sunny

• calypsochick
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, that's precisely my problem. How on earth do I know if the individual custom cabinetmaker guy is providing quality and that they will be easy to work with, etc? I visited his workshop. The owner seems perfectly fine. I saw some of their cabinet doors and furniture being made. I can't tell anything by just looking at it, though. They have been in business for only 5 years, and I don't know anyone who has ever used them. I have nothing to really base my decision on.

• chicagoans
    14 years ago

Can you visit some references and check out the work in person? $24k doesn't actually sound outrageously high for custom cabs, but that of course depends on the size of the kitchen, the materials used and the amount of customization that you want or need.

Do your quotes from each source include all the bells and whistles (e.g., inserts/pullouts for things like pans and spices, the types of doors you want, etc)? Just want to make sure you're comparing apples to apples as much as possible, since the demo is included on one and not on the other. What would you be getting with the custom that you're not getting with the small contractor, and vice versa? (If you go with the high end, who acts as GC? Who is ultimately responsible for things like permits, etc.? How do they handle change requests?) Sometimes the cost of custom includes the kitchen designer; if your design is already done to your satisfaction, you may not want that. If the design isn't final then the quotes will be ballpark figures anyway.

You are right to be concerned about quality, as either amount you were quoted is alot of money that you certainly want to be well spent. So reference checks/visits will be important. As will going over the contract with a fine tooth comb!

There was a thread not too long ago on what questions to ask a GC. That might help you determine how you feel about each source.

• Buehl
    14 years ago

Custom cabinetmaker: You need to see installed kitchens...several, preferably. I would also talk to past customers. If you could find at least one who had problems w/the cabinets, it would tell you how the cabinetmaker responds to problems and if s/he stands behind his/her work. No one is perfect all the time, but how someone handles problems when they do crop up is very important!

Commercial is very different than residential...so be sure you see his/her residential work, not commercial, when you check references & installed kitchens.

• calypsochick
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have only seen his workshop (nothing installed) and seen photos of his residential kitchens. How do I go about finding people who have used him? Can I ask him for contacts? Is that strange?

• weiss528i
    14 years ago

It's not strange to request references.

• chicagoans
    14 years ago

It's absolutely normal to ask for references, and they should be able to provide local, recent references. (Not just someone 15 miles away who used them 5 years ago.) Talking with an older reference isn't bad, because you'll get a sense of how the cabinets have held up. But if their only references are old that could be a red flag.

We have had several people walk through our house as part of their reference check of the builders we used. (That's my thank you to the builders for doing a good job.) The builders have always come with them, but I'm sure the people walking through would realize that I wouldn't offer up my house if we thought the builders didn't do a good job.

• kaismom
    14 years ago

I did exactly the same recently.

High end showroom cabients came in more than double local small shop custom guy.

I looked at the local small shop kitchen installed last summer. He was using plywood that was not as thick (1/2 in versus 3/4 inch). The finish quality was hugely different. The finish was not wearing well. The highend shop uses Tandembox with stainless for drawer boxes, and the local cheaper guy used 1/2 in birch plywood dovetail (not even hardwood). It just had a completely different feel to the cabinets. The quality was miles apart.

Another brand I looked at was chipping on the edges only a few months after the installation. This is grain matching exoctic wood veneer. I am not sure why but they did not get the cabinets with solid wood edge banding. When I turned down the company, the designer asked my why I went with the competitor, and I told him. He told me that I can ask the company to make it my way, ie solid edge banding, Tandem box etc etc, which will increase the cost (I am sure), and will come very close to the initial price at the high end company.

The expensive company did not even give you the option of having veneer edge banding because they knew that it would not last in the kitchen setting. Everything that they offered were high quality which was tested....

For example, I asked them if the magic corner cabinetry was an option. They do not use them because they don't last in their experience. If I want them, I can't have the warratee that comes with the cabinet hardware.

In the end, I knew exactly what quality of cabinets I would get with the high end shop, so I am going with them. The other companies were basically offering cabinets that were not to my specification. If I increased the specification from their usual, then there are no samples for me to check out since they are not the norm for how these companies make their cabinets. I am buying without seeing the quality.... I am also paying for them to learn how to do a certain level of work, which they are not used to.

If you are saying that the company does mostly commercial work, you are probably looking at slab doors with grain matched veneeer or laminate. By chance, are you looking at Henrybuilt in NYC?

• calypsochick
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This is exactly what my problem is! I am comfortable with the high-end people because I know and can see what they are giving me is high quality. I am totally confident in them.

The custom guy is saying that he can do whatever I want him to do...but I don't know exactly what I should be telling him to do...I don't necessarily know all the details that should go into making a very good quality cabinet. I want to be told. And I don't know if what he is using is the absolute best quality stuff.

If I am doing my cabinets in MDF, does any of that matter? Is there just one kind of MDF?

Kasimom--I didn't check out Henrybuilt but have heard the name and they were recommended. Did you use them?

• kathycooks
    14 years ago

I used Angies List to locate my contractor. If they have a chapter in your area, it's a great way to find out if the contractor has a good reputation. Remember, if you ask a contractor for references, he's only going to give you the positive ones. I have used Angie's List now for six different projects and had good experiences with them all. www.angieslist.com

• User
    14 years ago

There is nothing wrong with the "magic corner" hardware. The units that first appeared from Kessebohmer last century are very stout and and worth their nearly $1000 price tag. We have never had a single service call on one in 20 years.

Extrapolate what you wish from that .

• kaismom
    14 years ago

calypsochick
    I am using Henrybuilt. There is a showroom in NYC. Go ask for Chris. He is quite good at pricing. Have him explain to you what sets their cabinets apart. I am sure he will spend some time with you. They build beautiful cabinets, but they only do one style. Modern slab veneer.... I don't know what kind of style you want.

Henrybuilt

Also check out Viola Park. The cabinets are manufactured in the same plant as Henrybuilt and the quality is very high. Viola Park does not provide design service, so you are on your own. They come it about 1/2 of Henrybuilt... Their shaker style walnut doors are absolutely beautiful!

Here is another company I found in my town that does something similar. cabinets

I am not sure what type of finish they they use, which makes a big difference. I think you need conversion varnish type of finish. Many of the small shops cannot do this type of finish.

• calypsochick
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for the recommendations! I'm actually looking for a more traditional look, more specifically Shaker style.