Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cabinet advice

Posted by bridgetmalone (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 15:00

Hi everyone. I have been shopping around for cabinets and I have decided to get kraftmaid from lowes... No more time (or patience to keep meeting with more people) and the kd at lowes was great. I have 3 little kids but we are not particularily hard on things. I live in a 1927 colonial, but not a very formal one. I want white painted shaker cabinets and I need to order 30 cabinets in total. I need to watch my budget so i am debating between doing all plywood boxes but the cabinet door would have a veneered center panel, or i could do the all wood cabinet door but furniture board cabinet box. I would like to be able to paint them down the line. Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cabinet advice

Congratulations on having made a cabinet manufacturer decision! It's a great feeling and Lowes is known to be helpful if a problem arises with interfacing with Kraftmaid etc.

Thirty cabinets is a lot. Should you wish, I believe the evidence for furniture board as an alternative to plywood is well established in it's favor. With painted cabinets, a wood door with veneer center helps protect against cracks in the stiles due to expansion, contraction of the door wood. So a veneer central panel is also a strong consideration.

"I would like to be able to paint them down the line." One thing to check into is if Kraftmaid uses POC paint technique: post catalytic opaque conversion varnish. This is the most durable cabinet paint finish currently used, but it's not easily touched up. For that reason too, I wonder if it would be able to be painted down the road with good results.

Hope this helps a little, and that others will weigh in on this issue.

This post was edited by SparklingWater on Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 20:50

o

Plywood with veneered center panel for paint-- you can't go wrong. Sand the finish with 400 and a red 3M pad and prime with white epoxy primer/sealer if you are worried about the finish.
Check the white shaker doors and boxes from IKEA for a budget wakeup call.

o

The painted white shaker will work just fine for veneer doors. I'd go with the upgraded all plywood boxes.

o

I don't agree with the veneer core for the panels. An mdf core is much more stable and flat. If you can afford ply boxes, then go for it. Sometimes in my installs, i see just certain panels with ply and the others that are not prone to damage are PB core. The ply is for direct damage, especially on edges. MDF and PB will have a tendency on the edges to break off. Very unlikely in ply.

The center door panel edges are protected, so no worries there. The face will take damage much better than ply.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here