Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
for Peke - pics of undersink drawers

Posted by carolml (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 5, 13 at 14:58

Hi Peke,
I posted this in your original post from January, then wondered if you would find it.

Home again. Here are the photos I promised you. As you can see, the main sink, which is quite deep, has two drawers, one shallow one - note the small cut out at the back to accommodate the drain, and a standard 12" one below. The counter is 27" deep, so the drawers are full depth.
The prep sink has a very shallow cabinet - only 21" deep because of a book case built in the gable behind it. The drawer here is only just big enough to fit my trash, compost, bird seed and a few cleaning products. We have put it on a servo drive, so the door glides open with just a touch. It is fantastic when preparing food on the adjacent counter. The cabinet maker built a shelf to raise the level of the compost bin so that it comes just under the sink bowl and does not require bending to deposit green material.
There are also photos with the drawers removed to show you how the plumbing pipes are pushed against the back of the cabinet.
We love this set up. For the first time ever, the undersink area is fully functional. Hope this helps.
Carol
main sink photo P1020085_zps22f8e4ff.jpg
shallow top drawer photo P1020086_zpse3d7ff68.jpg
plumbing photo P1020088_zpsc0d4c5d9.jpg
prep sink photo P1020090_zps4c7c5406.jpg
compost and trash photo P1020091_zpse9b1cd25.jpg
plumbing photo P1020094_zps1802b6bf.jpg
shelf photo P1020095_zps0a37eb0c.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: for Peke - pics of undersink drawers

Carol, thank you so much! It is perfect for what I need too. No, I couldn't find the other post so I am glad you posted here. Now I have something to show my cabinet guy and plumber what I need. They are famous for saying, "NO....I have never seen something like that....it can't be done."

Your kitchen looks lovely especially the countertop. Great colors.

Thanks again for posting! Peke

o

My one bit of advice is that it took my husband considerable time to figure out exactly how to put together the various pipe pieces to fit in the smallest space. Plumber time is expensive, so if you can experiment with this yourselves and come up with a shape that works, you might save a few dollars.

o

I'm so happy to have seen this post today. I'm currently trying to lay out my cabinet runs, and cursing the wasted space under two sinks. I am hopeful that this could be a solution for me too! So clever, thank you!

o

This is really cool! Love it! I think, I'm stuck with a curtain rod to hold all the spray bottles and plastic to contain everything else. Meeting with a contractor this weekend, and interested to see what he suggests. I'm forwarding this post to him!

Thanks!

Suzi

o

I wish I had seen this before reno - thanks for sharing

o

Further advice: my cabinet maker was sceptical but willing to attempt this. Essentially, he built the boxes but did not do anything with the drawers until the counters, sinks and plumbing were in place. Then, he measured the space that was left and made the drawers. This was truly custom work, but should be doable by anyone with a little flexibility.
Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here