Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindalp_gw

Show me your Glass tile backsplash..... Please

lindalp
14 years ago

I'm looking into backsplashes now...I'm thinking I'll go with some glass or all glass tiles, but I need some inspiration. Thanks

Comments (11)

• theanimala
    14 years ago

There are lots of great glass backsplashes, with tons of color. You can try looking at the gallery at theglassmosiacoutlet.com.

We went with a very simple White Glass subway tile. But many people here have done some things with lots of colors to pop.

Here is a link that might be useful: glass tile store

• hgluckman
    14 years ago

Unfortunately ours isn't installed yet (a long, sad story that I may yet post today), but I can show you our prototype:

From Kitchen Remodel

The field tile was our special find. We found it on close-out from the manufacturer Unique Building Concepts at $2/SF. They had a little more than we needed, and we bought it all. The mosaic strip is cut from a 12x12 sheet also from UBC, and is called Nutmeg Versailles. Some of the tile matches the field tile. We couldn't leave well enough alone, though, and the teal 1x1s are added in, as is a copper 2x2 from Landmark Metalworks that will go in each section. The bronze liners are from Dal-Tile Maniscalco (I think that's the brand). We also have some copper quater rounds from Landmark that aren't in the prototype to be used in exposed outside corners.

The switchplate that you can see at the lower right of the prototype was handpainted by an artist who has a company here in Denver called Taken for Granite. His specialty is matching granite patterns, but I think he did a great job matching the glass tile, given the difference in materials. We're going to have him do all of our switchplates/outlets.

We thought we'd be done this week, but now it's looking like April at the earliest.

• padola07
    14 years ago

Yes please do show... i'm at the same point now. I have cherry cabinets,decided on white stone counters and about a dozen 1x1 glass samples in the house and just can't pick one.

I found this site recently. The prices are very good, best i've seen, and you can get 3 free samples so I ordered the following.

Sicily Mosaic Glass Tile 8mm $8.99 SQFT
    Green Supreme Mosaic Glass Tile 8mm $8.99 SQFT
    Green Mosaic Glass Tile 8mm $12.88 SQFT

All 3 look better in person than on the site. Another thing about these tiles is they're actually a full 1 inch the other 1x1 samples i have are more like 7/8 x 7/8.

Just not sure about green yet with cherry (although if all my other accents are green it could work) or the light brown in the red tile with white white counters.

Here is a link that might be useful: glass tiles

• rebeccainchicago
    14 years ago

@ theanimala - Love your design choices! Very nice.

• cat_mom
    14 years ago

Here's ours:

• melis1251
    14 years ago

Ignore the cabinets; they're a work in progress...
    I do really like my backsplash though :)

• dvdre
    14 years ago

Our kitchen isn't finished but here you go. This glass tile is not subtle, it is Oceanside Coppertone. We chose it because we had just one wall with backsplash and it was our focus wall with the range hood. I know it is not for everyone. The granite is Typhoon Bordeaux, also not subtle, but believe me, the tile tones down the granite. You notice the tile, which changes color from all angles.

{{!gwi}}

• lindalp
    Original Author
    14 years ago

WOW, these are all gorgeous! That's my problem...I love the look of the glass tiles. How am I going to be able to choose just one?!?
    Thank you all for sharing your photos, they are so inspiring.

Cat mom...Your's look like ice crystals. I can't tell, are they all the same width or varying widths? Are they white or are they clear, and may I ask what they are called.

hgluckman...Can't wait to see yours when they are installed...What a find plus the hand painted matching cover.

theanimala...I've been seriously thinking about the glass subway tiles like yours, only in a shade of tea green. LOVE your stove backsplash with your stainless...I don't have stainless, but yours made wish I had.

melis1251 I'd like to figure out how in put tile like yours with the larger glass subway tiles. Wonder how it would look to use tiles like yours, like theanimala used the stainless tiles?

dvdre...When I saw your backsplash on one of your posts, I was convinced that the glass tiles would be what I was going to put in. I LOVE the shimmer of yours. I have a little more area, so It might be too much, but just maybe I could get away with it!!!!

Padola 07 Thank you for the link...good deals!

• rjr220
    14 years ago

Linda; check out this site as well. I am looking for future inspiration as well -- these are not glass, but such pretty tea green subways in a variety of colors. Their glass tile colors are great as well, and you can't beat the price. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: tea green subways

• padola07
    14 years ago

cat_mom,
    Your backsplash is gorgeous. If I ordered a sample of that tile I probably would think "Oh that might be too bland" however its just so perfect. I was going to with 1x1 but now I'm really considering the sticks installed vertically.

Very nice!

• cat_mom
    14 years ago

The tile we used is from Artistic Tile: Opera Glass in the Stilato pattern in Wolfgang White. They are varying widths and lengths. Our tile guy was just awesome at making sure the pattern and tile matched up/fit together and repeated as needed. They are clear glass, painted white on the backs. They do read slightly green-ish (blue-ish?) in certain lighting. Someone on the forum used the same tile in an actual blue-green color.

Since we got ours, I've seen other glass stick tile mosaics from other manufacturers/distributors (AKDO is one that comes to mind). Some with more similar tile sizes/patterns than others. If you do a search, you'll find a bunch of 'em.

I am so glad you guys like ours!