Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mives714_gw

Double wall ovens plus cooktop vs. range

mives714
15 years ago

Which is more desirable in a kitchen? I know I am fine with only one oven but for resale purposes?

Comments (27)

• lisa_a

For those of you who prefer the wall oven/cook top (especially double ovens) over a range, would you still feel the same way if the only place for a cooktop was in the island?

Here's why I ask. We currently have a single 27" wall oven and an island cooktop. I love having the separate cooking units, however my current oven is not big enough. I have baking pans I haven't used in the 15 years we've lived here. 'Bout time I did something about this. It started out with me merely replacing the single 27" with another single 27"; the new models are 3-4" wider than my current one, solving my pan issues without requiring cabinet redo. Then I thought, well, why not get double ovens while I'm at it? Oh, and let's add a warming drawer in the cabinet next to the new ovens. That's minimal cabinet redo.

And while we're at it, why not improve our island cooktop venting? We rarely use the 7" pop-up - it sucks the flames and it's noisy. Oy, what a headache that brought on as I read all the pros and cons of an island cooktop and how to properly vent it (hood over downdraft). Better yet, move the cooktop to the wall!

We don't have the space to do that (my kingdom for a measly 2 more feet of wall space) so moving the cooktop to the wall means going with a range with one oven. I can't rationalize the fancy 2 oven ranges (talk about sticker shock!). I just don't think I'm cook enough for them. ;-)

So here are my options:
    double oven/island cooktop
    Pros:

• Current layout so very little cabinet redo

• No need to move gas or water lines (see below)

• Hubby prefers to look into the room not at the wall when he's at the cooktop (yes, I know most time is spent prepping, not cooking but he is so easy going on most decisions that when he voices a preference, I listen and accommodate his wishes whenever possible).

• Great oven set-up in one area. Double ovens stacked next to a warming drawer and built-in look microwave.

Cons:

• Venting island cooktop is not as effective as venting against a wall

• Venting will likely be much more costly whether it's a hood or a 14" pop-up

• Can not visualize how a hood will look in such an open kitchen. Not sure we'll like it.

OR
    single oven range against the wall

Pros:

• More effective venting for cooktop

• Cheaper venting

• Can wrap it with wood, fitting with our style and white appliances better (count me as one not keen on stainless for looks or upkeep)

• Island surface unbroken by cooktop gives me great prep space, definitely better than I currently have.

Cons:

• The best place for the range is where the refrigerator is, so we'd have to move the refrigerator to where the wall oven is. That means moving gas line and moving water line.

• Even our CD refrigerator will stick out a few inches too many. Would require recessing it into the wall - another expense.

• Much more cabinet redo required.

• Facing the wall while we cook.

• No second oven.

• Have to shift microwave to another part of the kitchen - no...

• lisa_a

For those of you who prefer the wall oven/cook top (especially double ovens) over a range, would you still feel the same way if the only place for a cooktop was in the island?

Here's why I ask. We currently have a single 27" wall oven and an island cooktop. I love having the separate cooking units, however my current oven is not big enough. I have baking pans I haven't used in the 15 years we've lived here. 'Bout time I did something about this. It started out with me merely replacing the single 27" with another single 27"; the new models are 3-4" wider than my current one, solving my pan issues without requiring cabinet redo. Then I thought, well, why not get double ovens while I'm at it? Oh, and let's add a warming drawer in the cabinet next to the new ovens. That's minimal cabinet redo.

And while we're at it, why not improve our island cooktop venting? We rarely use the 7" pop-up - it sucks the flames and it's noisy. Oy, what a headache that brought on as I read all the pros and cons of an island cooktop and how to properly vent it (hood over downdraft). Better yet, move the cooktop to the wall!

We don't have the space to do that (my kingdom for a measly 2 more feet of wall space) so moving the cooktop to the wall means going with a range with one oven. I can't rationalize the fancy 2 oven ranges (talk about sticker shock!). I just don't think I'm cook enough for them. ;-)

So here are my options:
    Pros:

• Hubby prefers to look into the room not at the wall when he's at the cooktop (yes, I know most time is spent prepping, not cooking but he is so easy going on most decisions that when he voices a preference, I listen and accommodate his wishes whenever possible).

• Great oven set-up in one area. Double ovens stacked next to a warming drawer and built-in look microwave.

Cons:

• Can not visualize how a hood will look in such an open kitchen. Not sure we'll like it.

OR

Pros:

• Cheaper venting

• Can wrap it with wood, fitting with our style and white appliances better (count me as one not keen on stainless for looks or upkeep)

• Island surface unbroken by cooktop gives me great prep space, definitely better than I currently have.

Cons:

• The best place for the range is where the refrigerator is, so we'd have to move the refrigerator to where the wall oven is. That means moving gas line and moving water line.

• Even our CD refrigerator will stick out a few inches too many. Would require recessing it into the wall - another expense.

• No second oven.

• lisa_a

So here are my options:
    Pros:

Cons:

OR

Pros:

• Cheaper venting

Cons:

• No second oven.

• lisa_a

So here are my options:
    Pros:

Cons:

OR

Pros:

• Cheaper venting

Cons:

• No second oven.

• jenn1a
    15 years ago

My opinion? I hate double ovens. I think they are too small and take up too much space. Plus, any smoke from broiling etc. goes into the room because there is no range hood. We are actually ripping ours out and replacing with an induction range. Just an opinion.

• afr66
    15 years ago

I don't really think it matters all that much. If your kitchen is nice looking, updated and functional that should be fine for resale. These days you aren't likely to get back much out of a kitchen remodel anyway and 5, 10, 15 years from now anything we've done (I did my kitchen 6 months ago) may look dated. Do what YOU like and what will make you happy. BTW, I decided on a cooktop/ovens because it fit better in my space but I wouldn't be deterred from buying a house just because it had a range instead. Just my .02

• rhome410
    15 years ago

All things being equal, I would be happier to see dbl wall ovens than a range, IF they fit well into a workable layout. But I don't think it would sway me to buy a house if it wasn't otherwise the best choice for my family. If you do what you like and what works best in the layout, it will also be desirable to a buyer...You can't suit every person's preferences, and you only need one buyer.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Personally, I much prefer a wall oven...it doesn't have to be a double, btw. Wall ovens are mounted higher and much easier to use. It's rare that smoke comes out of an oven...at least when I bake & roast...but I don't broil.

I have double ovens and we use both quite a bit. The top is a speedcook type (GE Profile Trivection), the bottom is convection.

If you put in a single wall oven, you could put your MW above it in the same cabinet. Not so w/double ovens b/c the MW would be too high if mounted over two ovens.

One thing I, personally, do not recommend is mounting a wall oven undercounter. An undercounter mounted wall oven is even lower than the oven in a range.

I haven't noticed any difference in size b/w my 30" ovens now and the oven in our 30" range in our old kitchen.

Are you planning to sell in the next couple of years? If not, then get what you want. But, if I had a choice b/w a house w/a range and one with double wall ovens then all else being equal, I would choose the one w/the double wall oven.

• 59 Dodge
    15 years ago

What we did about 3 years ago was do a separate cooktop, and then a built in Convection oven and also a built in Speed oven. The speed oven is on the other side of the kitchen from the cooktop and convection oven----that way wife and I don't collide (LoL) The speed oven does everyting, microwaves , convection cooks broils etc etc etc. We use it the most and right now are using it even for boiling spaghetti as the cooktop has been a royal pain, and as we speak (er type, I mean), is getting replaced by an Induction Cooktop. All are Electrolux,(cept the freakin' cooktop that died--new one is Electrolux Icon Induction.
    Again I cant say nuff good stuff about that speed oven, amazing device and pretty good interior size too and yes it bakes too--so kinda like having double ovens but one with all the bells and whistles.
    Good Luck!!

Gary

• lascatx
    15 years ago

For me, it is wall ovens. The ovens in a range are mounted lower and they are too low for me. But I love the look of a range. Would I buy a home that had only a range? Can't say that I wouldn't, but everything else would have to be more perfect. ;-)

• zelmar
    15 years ago

Definitely go with what you like. I don't think it's going to make a huge difference either way. We went with a range and I'm really happy with it. I like having all the heat sources in one spot (under a vent hood) during the summer. I feel as though a range adds visual warmth to a kitchen (I guess it's a substitute for our old wood stove, even if we don't huddle around it.) Since my oven racks slide out, I don't miss the ease of having a high oven. I like having both oven and range top close to my prep area (just a matter of turning 90 degrees) so that I can keep an eye on things on top and inside. There are a few dishes I prepare in heavy cast iron pans over the burners and then put in the oven and I'm glad I don't need to carry the heavy hot pans any distance. The burners make a nice landing zone when things come out of the oven. We ended up with 2 ovens because we got a 48" range which gives plenty of room for 2 cooks. I use the one smaller oven about 90% of time.

There are pluses and minuses to either set up and the one that is best for you depends on how/what you cook and the type of space you have. I would have had to give up window or hutch space to get wall ovens.

• huango
    15 years ago

Ditto on what buehl said.
    I also like rangetop and separate oven, because I don't like the heat coming out of the oven when I'm using the stovetop, like when I'm doing a roast in the oven and stir-fry veggies on stovetop for dinner.

My GF currently has double oven and a cooktop; she never uses the 2nd oven anyway. Because it's a better layout, she's changing to a range and removing the DO to fit the fridge. For me, I'd prefer a better functional kitchen than having DO.

• wintertime
    15 years ago

I am going through this same dilema right now. I have always had a range in my kitchen (since that's how it came) and am now finding myself ready to renovate and this issue has me stumped.

The only reasonable place for a wall oven in my layout would be over by the pantry/fridge; a ways from the range.

I do a lot of my cooking in the oven, more than the rangetop, and find the existing oven somewhat small. I have, however gotten by just fine with a single oven for years.

I agree that a range looks fabulous as a 'peice' in the kitchen.

Like one poster suggested, I have been considering doing a giant range with double oven underneath to solve both the 'look of a range' and 'more oven space' dilema. I know that 6 burners would seem like overkill but I would use the oven space.

To be honsest, I find the upper in a set of wall ovens a little hard to reach.

Sorry, more questions than answers from me!

• southernstitcher
    15 years ago

I was happy to see a wall oven after years of working with a range that had the broiler on the bottom -- I hated that.
    Now that we're redoing, though, the wall oven is in a space that was once double ovens, and they totally messed up the cabinet doing that - one of the reasons for the redo. I considered replacing that with doubles, but want to put my fridge there. Since we bought an electric cooktop last year, I was thinking about putting an undercabinet model in underneath it.
    Buehl is right -- I'm now reconsidering because I realize how much lower they will be. I saw some at Lowes installed as under cooktop, and wow, I was amazed at how low they are. At least 3 inches lower than a range. I'm not getting any younger -- so I may need to back off that plan.

• chefnewbie
    15 years ago

It is a personal preference. If you are going high end, and want dual fuel, be prepared to spend quite a bit of money on a range. For us, it made much more sense to put in a 30" double oven, both self clean, both convection, and a gas rangetop. I love cooking at the rangetop and not having the heat of the oven beneath me. Also, the height is nice. I do not have any problem with smells or smoke even when broiling.
    Good luck, whatever you decide.

• pharaoh
    15 years ago

Double ovens + warming drawer + range top. That is what we got and very happy with that combination.

• loves2cook4six
    15 years ago

Love my DO's and often have both going at the same time but then again I love to bake. It's also great to have chickens or turkey roasting in one and another for sides and dessert.

Having seperate ovens and a cooktop also allowed up to better map out the zones in the kitchen and it definitely makes it easier for two people to cook and prep in our smallish space.

• steff_1
    15 years ago

You need to make sure you will maintain enough counter space and the ovens are at least 30" wide. Otherwise, wall ovens can make a kitchen look more custom unless you have a very high end range.

• cooksnsews
    15 years ago

Why not get what you want, and what works in your kitchen layout, rather than try to out-guess some hypothetical future buyer???

• biochem101
    15 years ago

Check out the real estate comps in your area on the MLS. Most people on this forum seem to prefer double wall ovens. But in my zip code all the properties similar in price to mine have electric ranges, with microwave/hoods above them to boot.

I had a double oven before reno, and went to a double oven GE range ( with a hood over it). The little top oven is great and we use it for almost everything. Although I like, and use, both at the same time on occassion.

One of the commen comments has been, "Is that a double oven?!" It doesn't matter to them that it isn't in a wall (and no, I'm not in the slums or anything! LOL!) The other rather amusing question I've ACTUALLY been asked is, "does it really work?" (meaning my hood). Then they admit their over-the-range-microwave-hoods DON'T, and that's why they are asking.

So my little double-oven-free-standing-range-with-a-real-hood is quite the novelty. I expect it will fetch a nice offer some day. :) It's all about the comps.

• melanie1422
    15 years ago

I'm going to be the voice of dissent - I would NOT want double ovens. I do a lot of cooking that starts on the the stovetop and then finishes baking in the oven, using a cast iron dutch oven. I couldn't do this if the cooktop was across the room for the oven. Also, I only know two people in real life with a double wall oven, my grandmother and my aunt. Both only use them both if they are having a holiday meal with more than 10 people. Otherwise, they seem to be a huge waste of space. I'm short and I can't reach the top one very well, and I hate the pull down door on top - its right at my face, and I'm always burning my arm on it when I try to put something in or take something out. I have to get someone else to that job when I'm cooking with the family.

I love my range, however. If I had lots of extra money, I'd go with something like a Lacanche, with two ovens. But I'd never ever want wall ovens. It just doesn't suit my cooking style.

I say get what you want. I never worry about resale, except when I'm trying to justify having to spend a ton on something...oh well, if I have to put in new HVAC, at least it will up the value of the home. Well, if I have to redo the entire roof, at least it will up the resale value.

• msgreatdeals
    15 years ago

You should get what you really want. Myself, I have a 30" gas range with microwave above. In my remodel, I will have a double oven (GE with micro combo) and 5 burner 30" range top. Range top will be where old range was (facing a wall). I really wanted to put it in the island but it was going to be alot of extra stuff to do and I was not sure if I would like the downdraft. My oven will be about 4 feet away from my range. It's been years since I had a wall oven and I guess I'm ready for a change.

• lisa_a
    15 years ago

Hoping to hear comments regarding my question posted above: for those of you who prefer the wall oven/cook top (especially double ovens) over a range, would you still feel the same way if the only place for a cooktop was in the island?

Of course, I'll make the best decision for myself and our household but I'm curious to know what others think. Perhaps someone will spout a suggestion that hasn't occurred to me.

TIA!

• ebse
    15 years ago

I also prefer separate cooktop and ovens, but I'm not a gourmet cook or anything. I just think it looks sleeker and I believe that an induction cooktop will be much easier to clean than a gas range top or gas cooktop. A lot of people I know actually prefer the cooktop on the island so they can visit with guests while they prepare food.

• twoscoops
    15 years ago

We could have put our cooktop along the wall but we put it in the island with a pop-up vent, and the ovens across the aisle to the left, a pivot away.
    This is the first time I've had wall ovens and it would be hard to go back to a range because I love not having to stand on my head to get things in and out of the oven. We went with a mid-line double oven from GE, the top has a convection option and proofing mode and the bottom is conventional. The bottom oven is wonderful to handle overflow or as a warming spot and the small drawer beneath is just perfect to store the griddle and pan lids. The island cooktop works for me because I like having people around me while I cook, and when my daughters are home every meal is kind of like a cooking class:)

• boxerpups
    15 years ago

I think it depends on the size of your kitchen.
    If I had a huge kitchen 20 by 20 or even 15 by 20.
    I would definitely have kept my Double Ovens.
    I have a small kitchen. 15 by 10
    We just tore out and sold our old JennAir double
    ovens. It was lovely but wasted precious space.
    (I agree with Jenn La)

I just put in a Bosch dual fuel range with a warming
    drawer. I am alreay loving the feel of more space
    even though I am in the middle of kitchen reno.
    I just know I did the right thing for my tiny kitchen.
    The Bosch has been so fun to use too.
    I won't miss the doubles.

• timber.j
    15 years ago

I would have had to give up my big windows to have a layout with double ovens, so we went with a 36" range. I also didn't want a cooktop or sink on my island. If we built a house from scratch, I would consider double ovens, but I also like the thought (but not the price tag!) of a 48" range with two ovens. I'm short, though, and double ovens just feel too high to me.