Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Backsplash Ideas

Posted by Errant (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 6, 14 at 14:54

My granite is in and I'm looking for backsplash ideas!

The granite is River White. It's not nearly as white as others I've seen, though, so now I'm wondering if my first choice backsplash is still good. It's a split face marble (Jeffrey Court Churchill White @ Home Depot).

My plan with the BS is to go all the way up the wall that has the pass-through, and cabinet height on the wall with the window (which will have a valance at ceiling height to elongate the teeny window).

My cabinets are oak, that is painted a very dark green (although it almost looks black in the pictures). The floor is Brazilian Cherry (not quite as red as the picture looks, however). The walls in surrounding rooms are sort of a sage green.

Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Backsplash Ideas

You will have to judge the color with samples that you bring home & put in your lighting. You could go with a simple white subway, or something more interesting.

o

Wow-never would have guessed those are painted oak cabinets. Your countertop is mitered? How thick? Beautiful! Love your stainless apron front sink & island. Thinking like you should have something more dramatic for your backsplash.

o

Both of my pics are from the glasstileshop.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Glass Tile Shop

o

That first one you posted, teachertile, is really interesting. It makes me think of bamboo. I might have to go check that out in person!

Yep, Romy, those are just your basic 80's golden oak cabinets. This is what I started with 3 years ago:

The granite is Mitered to look 2.25" thick at the edges. I also had them miter the backsplash/bartop pieces so the grain was continuous.

o

We went with a tumbled marble that comes in sheets (it's from Lowes). It has lots of interest, but doesn't steal the show from our giallo ornamental granite. (This was taken the night before grouting.)

o

Errant, WOW...that's a pretty dramatic difference by just painting the cabinets. It looks GREAT!! I had to keep scrolling up and down to see that they were the same. The other changes look good too! I'm useless with the BS, but had to comment on your kitchen.

o

Another thought, fog grey subway?

I sort of feel like subway is overdone, but is like the fact that it will be easier to clean. I also hate the look of grout lines, so I'd want very tight grout, the same color as the tiles.

o

IMO a Calacutta marble looks very nice w/River White granite. We are installing a mosaic calacutta/milk white tiles to go with our River White.

o

Do you have pictures or a thread I can take a look at, erdr669?

I'm still leaning toward the Jeffrey Court Churchill, which is a marble, although I'm not sure if it includes Calcutta. It's a mix of split-faced and polished, which I think looks nice.

I'll need to find a good penetrating sealer that I can apply both before and after installation. Any recommendations before I make myself crazy googling all the options?

o

Search River White granite on Houzz. We are going to use Encore tiles. Hope this helps.

o

erd,

what color Encore? (I think I have 6 sample colors).

o

bookworm, we are using milk white and calacutta marble.

o

Sounds pretty, erdr :)

I picked up all of my tile on Friday. I had to hit 3 Home Depots to get enough, as stock was low. I hope that doesn't mean everyone here is doing the same thing :o

o

Sorry for not posting sooner, but I went ahead and did the Jeffrey Court split-faced marble. I think it came out great, but I still need to grout and caulk. I'm sort of stuck there, wondering if I want white grout and clear caulk, white/white, or white and light grey. It seems like a bright white caulk would really stand out between the BS and granite and clear might look odd (somehow our gap seems larger than anticipated).

o

If you have extra tiles, make yourself a little tile board of each choice. Looking forward to pics!

o

This isn't a very good picture, just a quickie with my iPad (somehow my camera has run away).

o

Wow-it looks absolutely stunning! The thick mitered countertops and that gorgeous sink just jump out at you. You nailed it. That is the perfect backsplash. I still can't believe those were golden oak cabinets. Give yourself a big pat on the back!

o

Thank you, Romy! I'm quite pleased with how my kitchen facelift turned out. I was afraid that not being able to replace the cabinets would make everything else look like lipstick on a pig, but I think I've done a fair job of blending new with old.

o

Thanks so much for posting this! I found that backsplash on Home Depot's website, and figured it would be easy to find someone who had used it, but it must be pretty new. This was the only thread I could find. Any chance of a close-up? I'm trying to figure out how uneven the surface really is...the close-up on HD's site looks like it's pretty smooth overall. Any challenges or suggestions for grouting? Does it seem like it might be hard to clean? I'm hoping to put it floor-to-ceiling on a narrow strip of wall where the counters end, and I'm also hoping to get a puppy in the near future. :-D

o

Really nice transformation! Love your final backsplash choice - looks perfect for your kitchen!!

o

Errant,

Like doctorgirlfriend I am thinking of ordering the same backsplash but can you post a higher quality close up and overall picture. Also what colors are in it? White grey and a hint of brown?

o

Please!!!

o

Here's a pic Errant posted on another thread.

o

I'll try to get a better picture after work. But really, you'd want to go take a look at the tile in person at HD. The overall coloring is white and gray, but there are plenty of other colors in there, as well. Ivory, brown, even some red and blue. About 60% of the marble is split-face, the rest are polished. I'm guessing the max depth variance to be about a 1/16"

The overall surface is quite rough, so I would not want it near a stove where it could get spattered with grease. I did manage to splash Au Jus from Italian Beefs all over it without it being sealed. It cleaned right up with a damp kitchen towel. Same thing with some blueberry smoothie. I'm guessing a soft bristled brush would work well for difficult spots and the occasional dusting (as I imagine it will capture a lot of dust).

o

Errant I saw it in person and ordered. It's absolutely gorgeous the pictures you posted don't begin to really show what it looks like in person. It is mostly white grayish with some slight brown in spots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here