Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
runninginplace

White Traditional Galley Kitchen (Lots of Pics)

runninginplace
13 years ago

Since I'm taking my own mini-staycation this week during our school's spring break, decided to finally upload some pictures of our remodel. The project started at the beginning of September 2010, and was basically done just before Thanksgiving. My kitchen still had the original 1950 layout, cabinets, sink, counters and backsplash. I didn't change the layout at all but with the help of GW managed to create a room that is much more user-friendly and has enormously more storage. So, here are the before and after photos. As will quickly become clear I am not a very good photographer nor stager, but hopefully at least these will show some of the very major changes to this room:

Sink wall before:

Sink wall after:

Stove and Refrigerator wall before:

Stove and refrigerator wall after:

Hallway storage area before:

Hallway pantry after:

Microwave and tv area before:

Microwave area after:

Refrigerator before:

Refrigerator after:

Hidden storage idea gleaned from GW:

Original tile countertop before:

Wine River granite countertop atop new dishwasher after:

Sink before:

Detail of original uncleanable grout around sink before:

Raw and unedited view of single bowl sink after, complete with actual kitchen sponge and debris on patio:

Ceiling with fab '80s fan before:

Ceiling with new can lights and Rejuvenation fixture after:

Just to make life interesting, view of plumbing pipes originally placed through the MIDDLE of lower cabinetry(!) before--pipe is the white item just below shelf:

Plumbing rerouted normally after:

And last but not least...what happens when you decide that since you have a couple of hundred bucks worth of granite left you might as well use it. $3500 later you get that outdoor kitchen counter/drawers and sink you didn't know you wanted:

Details-

Kitchen:

Cabinets: Executive Cabinetry, Traditional style, maple factory painted Super White

Countertop: Wine River granite, polished with ogee edge

Refrigerator: Jennair 42" side by side integrated

Stove: GE Profile

Microwave: GE Profile

Dishwasher: Bosch integrated

Sink: Kohler Bakersfield undermount

Faucet: Kohler Revival series

Knobs/pulls: Top Knobs

Lighting: 6" can lights with 60-watt spotlights in ceiling, Rejuvenation fixture above sink, undercabinet flourescent lighting

Paint: Benjamin Moore Quiet Moments, mixed at 50%, matches rest of house

Flooring: Armstrong engineered red oak, matches rest of house

Patio:

Cabinets by Crystal: the toekick is on clips so it can be removed for cleaning floor of patio

Countertop: Wine river granite, polished and with standard edge

Sink: Swanstone bar sink

Faucet: Price Pfister one handled bar sink

Comments (31)

• 2golftoday
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow, your kitchen is gorgeous! What a beautiful transformation.

• Fori
    13 years ago

Beautifully done!

I think your old kitchen certainly did its job and deserved to be retired. Way worn out!

• laxsupermom
    13 years ago

Wow! Gorgeous transformation! That before sink area - Eek! Love the handles you chose, and that broom/cleaning pullout is fantastic! Great job!

• elba1
    13 years ago

Congrats to you on your new kitchen with all that additional storage!

• ironcook
    13 years ago

you must feel like you're living in a dream now! wow... that must have been a difficult kitchen to live with before the remodel!

just beautiful. congratulations! :)

• juniork
    13 years ago

Absolutely stunning! And you really are a great photographer! I was definitely able to get the pre- and post- versions of your kitchen!

• blonde1125
    13 years ago

Love the transformation!!

• jalsy6
    13 years ago

Wow - totally amazing! I'd love to know how you like the Bosch integrated d/w...I'm thinking about that one for my re-do.

• mskitchen
    13 years ago

Beautiful job and I love the granite, have to check that stone out for my new kitchen. I never heard of that one. Also, love the handles and pulls on the cabinets and appliances. Was the one on the refrigerator the same company?

• never_ending
    13 years ago

Simply lovely in every sense! I can see all the "GW-ness" of it, and hope mine comes out as beautiful!

I love your choice of pulls and knobs...can you share or maybe you did! I am going back to steal another peek and see!

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

To go from that to THIS is quite a change! Great classic style. Better function. Pretty stone. I love your bonus outdoor space!

Enjoy all your hard work, and thanks for sharing!

• runninginplace
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much for all the kind comments! I still can't quite believe I actually HAVE this beautiful and functional kitchen.

I wanted to show my before/after because it really is such an incredible difference. When we moved into this house 20 years ago there seemed so many other priorities that the kitchen could wait. To my everlasting chagrin, it did indeed wait...for 2 decades! If I have any advice to people about remodels, it is: do it early, instead of waiting. I really regret making do with that fugly and less than functional kitchen for so long.

To answer the questions asked:

I love the dishwasher, but then again the bar was set pretty low since I hadn't had one at all. The Bosch works great, is quiet and I do like having it integrated. As you can see because the kitchen is such a small galley, having as much uninterrupted line makes a difference.

All the pulls and knobs came from Top Knobs. The ones on the drawers are from the Edwardian collection. Unfortunately there wasn't a refrigerator pull available; although the people at pullsdirect kept checking the availability date also kept moving backward. By the time everything else in the kitchen was done, the thought of waiting another month or more to open the fridge was just not bearable. So I bought something simple in the same antique pewter finish. I guess eventually I could match but I probably won't.

Again, thank you to everyone for taking the time to be so kind and generous. This truly is an amazing online neighborhood.

Ann

• cardamon
    13 years ago

Really, really nice change for you. I am a fan of white kitchens. Your cabinets and granite are beautiful together. I imagine you are having a great vacation just being with your kitchen. It has been almost a year for mine and I still love walking in to it. Great looking kitchen - enjoy it.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    13 years ago

Really handsome kitchen, runninginplace. I like the Revival faucet, too.

• shelayne
    13 years ago

OH, you must be sooooo happy--it is so beautiful! The before and afters of your counters and sink area are especially striking! And to get that great outdoor set-up as well? Way to go!

Congratulations and happy cooking!

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Your old one was kinda cute - from a distance, lol.
    Your new kitchen is lovely and seems to be so much more functional and balanced.
    Very pretty!

• kiffgirl
    13 years ago

What a beautiful and happy space, and so much new storage! Enjoy!

• Angela
    13 years ago

I love it all! You made beautiful choices. It's beautiful and functional. Excellent job!!

• scootermom
    13 years ago

Oh it's beautiful, and you deserve it for living with that grout (I'm familiar with that grout, myself!). Love the patio fixtures!!

• blfenton
    13 years ago

I love this kitchen. We too, did a white galley kitchen and everytime I walk in I love it more.
    The hooks on the bottom of your pull-out storage - is that for brooms/mops? We did the same thing and it is the best use of an extra 7" ever.
    What a difference - so bright, so cheery,so perfect!

• noellabelle
    13 years ago

so beautiful and bright! Congrats on your new dreamy kitchen!

I have your same granite; you're the first person I've matched! LOL I've had it for a few months, and I still pet it and smile daily.

• runninginplace
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Noellabelle, wine river does seem to be a fairly un-utilized stone. I liked it because it was quiet which fit the serene vibe I wanted, but it had enough movement to be a bit interesting next to all the white of the cabinets and backsplash.

And yes, the hooks on the bottom of the pullout storage area should be mounted for brooms, dustpans, etc. Just haven't gotten to it yet. That corner of the kitchen really bedevilled me. There was a bizarre little niche there, with about a 6" unusable stretch that the contractor originally wanted to drywall in to form a solid wall. With such limited storage space anyway, it was killing me to give it up. And then...I happened to see some photos here of a broom closet hack from I believe an IKEA project. I asked the contractor, he found something in the cabinetry catalog and voila, more storage. It's one feature that always impresses people when I give them a tour of the new space.

And, finally, I have to explain why I included those truly gross pictures of the old countertop and grout. People who didn't have to actually use my kitchen would occasionally comment that it was so 'retro' and charming. What they diddn't see was the constant aggravation of trying to keep the grout and tiles clean and sanitary. The stuff was so old, much of it had cracked and worn away. No matter how I scrubbed and cleaned it would quickly go back to being grimy. And, reader, I drew the line at regrouting 60 year old tile! Anyway, I don't want people thinking I raised my family in an untended petri dish kitchen environment. I fought the good fight, until I happily watched that sad old tile get carted out the door in the workmen's buckets.

And as so many folks have commented, yes I still walk in or glance around every single day and marvel at how pretty and clean and functional this kitchen is!

• babushka_cat
    13 years ago

beautiful! tons and tons of storage! woo-hoo!

• Adrienne Gray
    13 years ago

It's lovely! What a stunning granite. And I love your hardware choices!!

I hope you enjoy your new outdoor utility area - it sure is a beautiful surprise!

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

What a nice new kitchen! Yes, your minor-change really was a major-change!!!

• melaska
    13 years ago

Wow - what a transformation! Great pics.

Can you tell me the dimensions of your utility pull-out (the one holding your cleaning supplies). I'll have a space like that & I love what you did. Thanks! :)

• stogniew
    13 years ago

I am also interested in the size of your pull out :-) How wide and tall is it?

• littlesmokie
    13 years ago

I have to comment on your "I'm not a really good photographer" comment, I really enjoyed your great before and after pictures to see the transformation one area at a time. (I wish I would have thought to do these kinds of before photos in more detail in our renovation!)

Thanks for putting together a fun reveal for all of us to see & congratulations on finally getting your new kitchen-enjoy!

• User
    13 years ago

Whoa...you have a gorgeous space now !! Just think if you had done the kitchen 20 years ago you would be doing it AGAIN now ! LOL . You deserve this one for sure and I love the outdoor kitchen too. c

• firstmmo
    11 years ago

runninginplace:
    Wondering about your ventilation issue with the Jenn-air. I know you had some issues with fit and the fully integrated look....how did it all resolve itself? I am considering this refrigerator and wondering if you would buy it still after all that you went through?

• steph2000
    11 years ago

Wow, I'm not seeing ANYTHING minor about this renovation. Love, love, love your paneled fridge and DW. And your white cabinets. And your granite. And your hall area, with all of that storage. It looks great.