Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lcaroline12

Input appreciated... Is this kitchen going to be too dark?

LCaroline12
10 years ago

Give it to me straight, please! :)

Here is my current kitchen. The new one will have the same layout. There will be can lights in the soffit over the peninsula and in the ceiling, and a pendant light over the sink.

Countertops will be Formica jamocha granite:

Cabinets will be light rustic hickory:

Countertops and cabs are ordered, so I can't change those. However, I *can* change my mind for the sink, faucet, wall paint and hardware. So far I have this and I'm so unsure about it.

La Fonda Olive wall paint. No backsplash.

Black composite granite sink (I've seen the white film problems these tend to have, but DH wants it). We have purchased this, but not too late to take it back. I'm really nervous about it.

And a venetian bronze Delta Sevilla faucet (I love this) to match bronze hardware.

So what do you think of these combinations? As you can tell, I'm not too hot on the sink for several reasons. 1. The white film 2. Clashing with the bronze faucet and 3. Overall looking too dark against a dark countertop. I'd love thoughts and suggestions. Thank you!

This post was edited by LCaroline12 on Fri, Mar 14, 14 at 14:54

Comments (24)

• canuckplayer
    10 years ago

I would lighten that paint color a bit. Whose paint chip is that? I know BM will do a 3/4 formula. I did this in a previous kitchen, as the color I liked was just a shade darker than I wanted, but couldn't find a chip to match my vision. The 3/4 formula worked perfect for me.

• LCaroline12
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you canuck! It's a Valspar color.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

Doesn't Blanco have a brown Silgranite sink? I think there's enough warm colors in the countertop for brown to work.

• crl_
    10 years ago

Lovely choices!

I would also consider a lighter paint color. You can wait until the cabinets and countertop is in to finalize that choice. Paint big swatches on poster board (or scrap dry wall if you have some around from the project) and look at all the colors together in all lights.

My mom has a black cast iron sink and she's a decent housekeeper (much better than I am) and I have never seen that sink look nice--it's always got water spots, etc. I don't know if the different material would help or not, but I would be very hesitant to put a dark sink in.

I wouldn't worry about the faucet, I don't think it will have a big impact on how dark the kitchen feels overall.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

I would say no to the paint, both the darkness and the green. I would go with a cream, the lightest color in your counters. I would shy away from Darth Sink and pick a lighter color. I think your faucets will be fine. Love your hickory cabinets!

• fishymom
    10 years ago

Those cabinets are very nice! I would go with a lighter shade of paint, maybe a light tan. I have the Silgranit in Cafe Brown with a bronze faucet and darker countertops, just so you can get a feel for how it may look.

• ianace
    10 years ago

There is a thread on GW that talks about the granite sinks. Most people who have them say the residue isn't an issue. Based on the feedback from this site, i bought the Elkay granite in black. It's not installed yet so can't give you a first hand account. But I will tell you I was thrilled that the granite I finally selected will look awesome with the black sink. I have a chrome faucet.

Fishymom's brown sink with the ORB faucet and dark countertops looks beautiful. My personal opinion would be to swap the black sink for brown. I also agree with the others to go with a lighter paint. Good luck!

• greenhaven
    10 years ago

I have no idea what kind of sink it was, but my last kitchen had a black sink and black faucet in a dark laminate countertop on builders grade oak cabs. It was WAY too dark, especially before I painted over the ketchup red walls. I hated it and had plans to first paint the cabs a cream while waiting for a chance to reno.

Kitchen was a good size and decent layout but the dark was too much...and the black sink showed every crumb, water spot and piece of lettuce.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

I would not go with a black sink despite how pretty it would be WHEN it is clean since it will show dust, water marks and be difficult to keep clean. I think you need to go with a stainless steel sink. The wall color may look nice if you add more lighting in your dark kitchen or you need to find a lighter wall color. I love the granite counters! I can't wait to see your finished kitchen.

• williamsem
    10 years ago

I think it will feel lighter than what you currently have, so if you love that paint color the go for it! Worst case scenario is you repaint, which is relatively easy and not expensive.

• feisty68
    10 years ago

I just don't care as much about sinks as many do - for me it's all about function.

The wall colour though - I would pick something much lighter. Get colour samples, paint large posterboards, and move them around the room in different lighting conditions. I did this in my neighbour's kitchen today - you cannot believe how different the paint looks on the chips vs on sample boards. Your formica and cabinets work really well together.

The green that I liked best of the ones my neighbour was considering was CIL Sea Drops - bottom left in this photo:

• Texas_Gem
    10 years ago

Darker wall colors work great...if there is plenty if natural light flooding the area.

Since it doesn't appear that you will be swathed in natural sunlight, I would go for a lighter shade of green.

Also, I agree with your reservations on the sink, particularly with regards to it clashing with the faucet. We have an oil rubbed bronze faucet and we chose to go with a stainless steel sink. For one, it is easier maintenance and for two, the stainless steel matches our appliances while the oil rubbed bronze faucet matches our light fixtures.

• eibren
    10 years ago

You might want to consider the direction your kitchen window/s face in relation to the sun and time of day as well. If you get afternoon sun through the windows you can go a bit darker than if you only get morning sun. However, you also want a kitchen that will be bright and cheerful. Visibility is as you know very important during food prep.

In general, direct afternoon sun into a kitchen in a hot climate can be extremely unpleasant, and needs to be mitigated a bit in some way or other.

• fishymom
    10 years ago

Some have mentioned difficulties in keeping a dark sink clean, just wanted to say that I have had the opposite experience with my cafe brown Silgranit sink. I had a Blanco stainless steel sink in my last kitchen, and a white solid surface sink in this kitchen before renovation and the dark Silgranit has been the easiest to keep clean! I have had no issue with a white film that I have read some people have. I clean it no differently than I did my other sinks, rinse after use, wash with dish washing liquid after dinner and clean with Barkeepers Friend once a week or so. Sometimes I dry it, sometimes I don't, but it doesn't seem to make a difference in the way it looks. I'm pretty sure some of these issues have to do with your water, but if your water is hard, you will have the same issue with any sink, maybe less visible on a lighter color. Some people complain that you see everything on a dark sink, and I agree it is much easier to see food particles, etc. I look at that as an advantage, I want to see everything in the sink, it makes it much easier to clean!

I personally dislike the look of mixed metals, so I would not but a bronze faucet on a stainless steel sink. I think a dark sink will look very nice with your cabinets and countertop selections, especially if you go with a lighter paint color!

• badgergal
    10 years ago

I have a black silgranite sink in a dark counter top and I do not think it looks Iike a black hole. IMHO it actually disappears and makes the countertop look more continuous. I don't have any issues with water spots. My daughters stainless steal sink does show water spots.My previous cream colored sawnstone sink always looked dirty. My black sink never does. I have to remind myself to scrub it.
    I think either a black or brown would look great with your countertops. Love your new cabinets. I tend to like darker and more intense paint colors so I wouldn't be afraid to use one. I have a dark tan (BM Hillcrest Tan) I think the color you are considering might be a little too yellow-green,unless the picture of it is a poor representation of the actual color. When I take pictures of my kitchen the photo usually makes the color look a little greenish.
    Here is a pretty good representation of BM's Hillcrest Tan if you want to consider it.

• lam702
    10 years ago

I agree with the other posts, I would choose a lighter paint for the walls. Having said that, I do like your choices in countertop and cabinets. Very warm and welcoming, which to me is what a kitchen should be. I wanted a dark sink too, at first. I have formica antique mascarello counters and felt the dark sink would look good with that. But, we have hard water and a water softener, so that means a lot of water spots and we felt the dark sink would be a lot of maintenence keeping those clean. This is also why we didn't choose an ORB faucet. But that is just me, lately I try to incorporate ease of cleaning in my remodeling choices, I guess I am getting old and lazy.

• andreak100
    10 years ago

Yes, I agree with many about a lighter paint color for the walls.

As for the sink, we're only 2 weeks with having our Silgranit cinder sink installed and so far, I love it. Absolutely no issues in keeping it clean with normal cleaning and we have hard water. During the day, I do a quick rinse out with the sprayer after use to get rid of any debris. And then at night, I use the dishrag with liquid dish soap and wipe it out. Then take the towel from the day and wipe the faucet and sink mostly dry quickly. The whole "night cleaning process" takes about a minute. I would consider it much easier to take care of than the stainless steel sink we had before.

• amykath
    10 years ago

I also think a lighter more airy color would look better. Maybe a soft creamy yellow⦠more cream than yellow.

• chickadee4
    10 years ago

I love your choices!!
    Do not be afraid to use color on the walls.
    You have rich tones and going beige or light may be a mistake.

Love the selected items except for the paint color.
    Paint changes as other colors surround it along with natural light.
    I like the valspar olive but from experience what I found to look great on paper looked horrible on the wall.
    Flooring , items in the room and light effect wall color.
    Plan on painting a small swatch before investing in an entire gallon and hours painting.

Your chosen wall color may be perfect but you will only know once you apply it.
    I had 12 shades of brown painted on the living room wall before choosing caramel.
    I had 12 shades of blue before finally choosing BM Little Falls.
    The wood floor and my persian rugs dictated my final color . All looked great on paper but once the natural light hit it you could see the under tones.

Love your proposed kitchen choices.
    Just be ready to tweak the wall color.
    OOps will you be adding a small three inch back splash out of the granite?

I tell my niece that when something works in design you smile. I smiled seeing your ideas but this is your kitchen . If the design truly works you smile.

• laughablemoments
    10 years ago

I think your hickory cabinets are going to lighten things up quite a bit. : ) Testing a color swatch of your paint choice is a good idea. Have you considered painting the soffit on the dining room side the same color as the dining room walls? I think this would help it feel lighter and airier and help the soffit to disappear more.

Have you read up on the threads comparing single sinks to double sinks? A lot of people on GW have switched and have been very pleased about it. We switched to a super single several months ago and we are very, very happy with that decision. I don't want to go back to a double sink again.

Here is a link that might be useful: Threads on single vs. double sinks

• LCaroline12
    Original Author
    10 years ago

WOW, I haven't been on GW for a couple weeks and I didn't realize I had so many replies to this! Thanks for your input everyone. I returned the sink and faucet and went with a plain 'ol stainless sink with a Moen stainless faucet. I just wasn't comfortable with the black composite with the bronze faucet. Secondly, you inspired me to look at the paint color again and now I will paint swatches on the wall. All I know is I would like a nice earthy green color, but I'm trying to stay away from a "pastel" look. The rest of my home is earthy browns, greens and deep reds and I'm trying to stick with it into the kitchen.

I'm stillll waiting on my countertops to come in. Once they are in, we can yank everything out and hopefully have it all put in within a week. I don't know how I'm going to do this with two 18 month olds running around! :) Thanks again for your input!

• ajinnh
    10 years ago

Your cabinet and countertop choices are lovely.

I agree with many others here and say you should rethink the paint. And the sink. I'd trust your gut about the sink.

You can always repaint, and a drop-in sink is easier to replace than an under-mount, but you probably would just live with it for a long time and hate it. I could never live with a dark sink. But that's me.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Stainless steel, I think, is the best choice for a sink, so long as you get a good-quality steel (and padded underneath.

Best way to keep it clean is with a stainless steel scouring pad and Comet, or the like.

Also, before I read that you returned the other sink, I was going to suggest rethinking the double basin. I have a double basin stainless and just loathe it. Once my plumber recovers from a skiing injury, he's going to install a single basin stainless sink for me. There is no room in those double basin sinks to clean larger pots and stovetop grills, etc., easily.

Finally, I agree with those who've given a thumbs down on the green paint. Goes fine with the countertops, but I think it clashes with the cabinetry.

If there isn't a lot of wall area, I"d paint it Benjamin Moore Midsummer Night. Otherwise, either a rust color or something like BM Himalayan trek.

• blondy6082
    10 years ago

I have the black Siligranite sink with a bronze faucet and love it. Our kitchen is on the dark side and feels very comfortable and warm. It depends on the rest of your house also. You want it to flow in to the other rooms. We went with a grayish taupe paint and are very pleased with it