Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beekeeperswife_gw

Come and Look again! Light over the sink...

beekeeperswife
12 years ago

So that other thread might not generate some of you to look again if I just bumped it up, so instead I've started over with a link to that thread.

I have realized I really do love the idea of some sort of clear bubble/sphere light over the sink. But I can't get past the glare issue. Then I found this on Houzz.

If you like it, let me know what size you think would be best.

Reminder: Sink is 33" wide, The faucet is 28" high. The light over the island is a Schonbek crystal chandelier.

Here is the info on 2 sizes I'm considering:

Medium option utilizes one 40 Watt 120 Volt Candelabra type Incandescent lamp

Medium Fixture: Diameter 10 In., Height 38.5 In., Overall Hanging Length Adjustable to 62.5 In.

Small option utilizes one 25 Watt Candelabra type 120 Volt Incandescent lamp

Small Fixture: Diameter 6.5 In., Height 28.5 In., Overall Hanging Length Adjustable to 46.5 In.

Photos from Houzz:

[contemporary pendant lighting design[(https://www.houzz.com/products/contemporary-pendant-lights-prbr1-br~t_610~s_2103) by lumens.com

(I think they show the one with smoked glass, there is a polished nickel with clear glass option)

contemporary kitchen design by orange county interior designer Benedict August

Here is a link that might be useful: Original Thread with lots of great choices.

Comments (19)

• sserra85
    12 years ago

Hows about this beauty from shades of light.... I just put it in my teenie powder room and I still find myself staring at it in awe.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    12 years ago

...and we have another contender! thanks twn!

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    12 years ago

twn--do you find it is too much glare? The only concern I'd have is that the light inside is too harsh. I think the style is great though. Will have to show dh that one. Very pretty.

• sserra85
    12 years ago

That cone in the middle of the other one is so.. different? It's nice, but it would be a bit too mod for my taste with the chandy.
    I don't think the light inside is harsh at all, I can take a picture tonight for you with the light :)

• drbeanie2000
    12 years ago

Ooh can't wait to see the picture, twn85!

I personally would be worried, bee, about the utter clarity of those clear globes over a sink. Would it get splashed? I mean, in your kitchen - in mine, it would!

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

I like that fixture! But, here I go being a Debbie again. Even the larger of the two fixtures emits a paltry amount of light. 40 watts isn't a lot of illumination for a work area. The small fixture is 25 watts. I think that's about the amount of light of an appliance bulb.

• babs711
    12 years ago

I had looked at that globe twn85 posted for our powder room. It's gorgeous. But the wattage isn't enough.

I think the mod look of the one you posted isn't meshing with the traditional chandy in the other thread. So far, I really can see the Juliska pendant MDBmom posted in your first thread with that chandy the best. Although it won't be directed light. But I see the two meshing well together. Plus it's got decent wattage.

I know you're worried about glare. Are you putting shades on that chandelier? If not then you're getting glare anyway so just go for the globe. If you really want a clear fixture, just do it!

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This is another one I was looking at. It takes 2 60 watt lights. It's 14" wide (too big?).

babs, yes, I will have shades on the crystal chandy. Besides cutting the glare, I found that by putting shades on it, the light was aimed downward. Good for highlighting the crystals, and putting more light on the counter.

breezy, not even as much light as an EZ Bake oven....yeah, I guess that's out for sure.

• tomcarter101
    12 years ago

My favourite lights for this type of lighting are Venetian Murano blown glass lights. Look at this link - there are several that would work and in a milk glass that cuts down glare. Visually interesting, works with many styles.
    tc

Here is a link that might be useful: Venitian Murano blown glass lights

• sserra85
    12 years ago

in terms of light output... what else do you have in the kitchen? I'm working on our kitchen now and I think that I have more than enough recessed, so the over the sink light is a bit more decorative than functional. This particular one uses a 60 watt bulb. Here she is...

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OH twn, that is really pretty. I think I will keep it on the short list. Thanks for posting those pictures.

I'm sitting on the couch watching TV and searching the web...just found this one. Takes 2 60 watt bulbs. 9" wide..anybody?

• sanjuangirl
    12 years ago

twn85's light would look lovely with your Schonbek, But I think that this new one you just posted is a perfect pairing with the chande. It's fun and maybe brings down the seriousness of the chande a little bit. I added grape clusters in place of some of my crystals to achieve a bit of the same feeling. Anything you put next to the Schonbek will be beautiful. I have one in my dining room and go in to admire it often! Have Fun!

• singingmicki
    12 years ago

I like these options MUCH better than the ones you posted the other day!

• lascatx
    12 years ago

I wouldn't put a lesser quality drippy style with the Schonbeck. I don't think I would like the combination in terms of style, but you'll really notice a difference in the quality and sparkle, even with the least expensive crystal on the Schonbeck. I have a Schonbeck on one side of the house and another not-inexpensive brand at the other. It isn't a huge difference, but I can tell there is a difference. I do like twn85s fixture a lot.

• lascatx
    12 years ago

I thought I posted here earlier, but it was on the other thread. I really like the Cristallo ones posted there as well. I would like the one twn85 posdte even better if your Schonbeck has a smooth ball in the center.

Have you looked at a flush mount or semi-flush? I would even consider just a recessed can over the sink and letting the chandelier really take center stage without competition from the wings.

I posted this on on your other thread -- super simple so it wouldn't compete for attention but with a graceful curve that plays well with the chandelier.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lascatx, that is beautiful, but I'm concerned about it's overall vertical-ness. With that tall faucet I don't want something above it that is vertical. Plus, I don't know if it will give enough light. I had a small light in last kitchen (beautiful, and it really didn't illuminate much of anything). Here it is, it was a perfect complement to the chandy. It looked like an upside down engagment ring.

I'm really beginning to believe I should book mark both of these threads, wait until we move in and look at the space. Then decide.

That Uttermost one I posted just above, actually costs more than I got my Schonbek for! (I got mine for steal at a lighting store because it was missing $14 worth of crystal, they ordered the replacement for me).

I guess I'm looking for something that doesn't attract attention. But yet, looks like a complement to the chandy over the island.

I've missed the recessed can opportunity already (although my dh could put them in AFTER we move in). The spec called for one can over the sink, but there is a beam there, so the electrician said, we can do 2, one on each side of the beam, and like a ding dong, I said "Oh, no, we were supposed to have a surface light, centered so I could put a pendant there:".....rats. Electrician is gone and I've called him back already to remove a stupidly located light upstairs--he does not want to hear from me again!

These 2 threads have given me so many good ideas. I think I will be able to find "the one". I need to find an online lighting store that doesn't charge restocking fees too. I did stumble upon one. But until things are in place, no sense ordering them. Not sure what looks good with...well, nothing since there is nothing in the kitchen yet!

Thanks everybody. I'm sure this question will be back!

Bee

• Mom23Es
    12 years ago

I love that last light. The "upside down engagement ring". It's so pretty! I don't know if it works or not, but i'd love to find a spot for that in my house. :-)

• lascatx
    12 years ago

I completely agree about the low wattage and lack of light concern, and I know the length wouldn't work in my sink area, but I liked the look of that one. I saw it when I was looking for this one that we might have hung in our gameroom dormer except we needed a darker finish. Seeing it again, it didn't do anything for me while thinking of your chandelier.

This is the one we did use, just FYI.

I think I might like something along those lines, but different. The clear ball is in the same vein, but none seems just right.

I have seen some pendants at our lighting store that I didn't find on the website (there are SO many). If I'm over there again and see something wonderful, I'll take a photo for you. Lighting is such an easy thing to add and often a good thing to add after you have things in the room and coming together, so no need to rush.

I don't know if I'm in a funk or enjoying looking at lighting too much. I love my chandeliers, but I'm doubting the wisdom of my choices at the moment. I think I need to go work on something else for a while.

• kpiazzale
    8 years ago

I am wondering what is the height you should hang a light over a kitchen sink - if there is a window in front of the sink? I love the look of the crystal chandeliers!