Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jackfre

Gooseneck high-rise kitchen faucets

jackfre
10 years ago

I've been living with the new kitchen, baths and laundry remodel for about 4 months now and have a couple things to offer on selecting a faucet.

We have a high-rise faucet in the kitchen that has a full 180* bend so the spray nozzle on the faucet is facing down into the sink. In the Laundry I have a Moen that is high rise, but only at 90* so the spray nozzle is facing down of course, but is horizontal to the sink bottom.

The big difference is as follows. ALL of these removable spray head faucets are on a flexible hose so you have a male/female threaded connection and over time removing and twisting the spray head the threads tend to loosen and leak. On my kitchen faucet this is not a problem as the water drains down into the sink. I simply pull the head out and tighten the threads. No harm-no foul! the laundry sink however, which sees much less use leaks in exactly the same manner at the same connection as the kitchen faucet but because it is horizontal the water that leaks runs back down the flexible supply tubing inside the faucet tubing and leaks back down the supply tube into the cabinet below. This is a real problem because unless I or the boss catch it right away the water is going to pool in the cabinet and create a problem. I've thoroughly caulked the seams of the base cabinet, but this is no end of aggravating.

Net/net, my suggestion when buying one of these type faucets is to make sure it is a 180* bend and not only a 90* bend so you don't have the wet cabinet base. You want the inevitable leak to drain into the sink.