Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jellytoast

Help me escape Blue Tape Hell - please!!!!

jellytoast
10 years ago

I am trying to get over my fear of commitment when it comes to my cabinet hardware. DH is becoming increasingly fed up with my hemming and hawing, not to mention the hideous blue tape that has been in use WAY too long, and in the interest of marital harmony, I need to move forward with this, STAT! Cabinets are light cherry shaker with slab drawers.

Because the knobs that match my pulls look way too small on the uppers, I plan to use all pulls in a variety of sizes (96mm, 128mm, and 160mm). I've picked out the pulls (see pic below), but deciding about the sizes is giving me fits. This what I have planned ...

Apply the "rule of thirds" as far as which size to use on the drawers (using 96mm on the smallest, 128mm on the medium, and 160mm on the largest).

I do plan to use just a few of the knobs, on the smaller cabinets above the refrigerator and above the range hood.

Here are the areas where I'm stumped:

1) I'm thinking it would look best to use the 128mm on the upper doors as they are quite tall (39 in.) and because the 96mm look a bit dwarfed when I hold them up. But I'm not sure about this. Any thoughts?

(2) I have some lowers that have doors beneath a single drawer (sink cabinet and two others), and I don't know which size to use there. Since they are not nearly as tall as the doors on the uppers, should I use a smaller pull (96mm) on them? Or should I use the same size that I use on the uppers (128mm)?

(3) I have a tall pantry that has a larger door on the bottom with a smaller door on top. I plan to use the largest size (160mm) pull on the large door, but can't decide which pull to use on the top portion ... 96mm or 128mm? The top door of the pantry is in proportion size-wise to the lower cabinet doors. It is right next to the refrigerator cabinet with the small doors where I plan to use the knobs.

I need some opinions. Please help!!!

Comments (33)

• Muffett
    10 years ago

I know how you feel! To keep it simple, I used 128mm pulls on everything. I thought the 96mm felt too small when grabbing them to open.

If I had slab doors, I was going to mount all my pulls horizontally after seeing pictures of other stunning GW kitchens where they did that.

• canuckplayer
    10 years ago

jellytoast, can you post photos of cabinets? By the way, I love your hardware.

• jellytoast
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sure, if it helps.

This post was edited by jellytoast on Fri, May 2, 14 at 23:27

• badgergal
    10 years ago

Jellytoast, the pulls you are using have a contemporary look to them so I don't think you can make a mistake as far as size goes. I actually used even longer pulls (224mm) on my 39 inch upper cabinets and all my lower cabinet doors. The only door that has a smaller pull is the short cabinet above my fridge. I used 3 different sizes on my drawers. I used more of a rule of halves for the drawers.
    For your kitchen I don't think the 128mm pulls are too long for your shorter doors below a drawer. Love your cabinets! They almost look like twins of mine.
    This picture shows the 224mm pulls and the short 128mm pull above the fridge.

And this pic. shows a drawer run with 3 different sizes pulls.

Can't wait to see your full reveal.

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

Hi jelly toast, nice kitchen and I love your pulls! I too went big on the doors. In fact after I realized I didn't really have any drawers or doors smaller than 24" I just put big pulls everywhere -- 192mm or 7.5" even above stove/fridge. I think whatever you do is going to look great. I like the look of variously sized pulls as well.

• jellytoast
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, y'all are too kind! Badgergal, you don't think my pulls are too contemporary for my kitchen do you? I don't even know what style it is ... I call it California Casual for lack of a better word. It isn't exactly the look I was going for, but it is what I ended up with. I was hoping these pulls could be considered "transitional" and thus go with my kitchen.

I don't want to go with pulls that are too long because I feel they are too contemporary for my kitchen, so 128mm is the maximum, except on the large part of the pantry door.

So are you all saying that I should definitely use the same size pulls on both the upper doors and the lower doors? What about the smaller portion of the pantry door? If I use the largest pull on the big portion, what size do I use above? Any suggestions on placement there?

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

Jelly, I went with 5" pulls for everything, except the small drawer to the left of the sink. Like Muffet, I really loved the look of all horizontal in photos of other kitchens, but when I taped it up that way in my kitchen, it didn't look right at all.

I went with two pulls on my 34" drawer - I liked the look of the pulls lining up with those on the top drawers.

Good luck with your decision - there really are a lot of different ways to do it right. With all the kitchens I've seen here, I don't think I've ever thought to myself "What a beautiful kitchen - too bad they screwed up the pulls!"

• badgergal
    10 years ago

Jellytoast, I didn't think of the word transitional but that is a good word to describe the look. I just meant that the pulls are not traditional. If that's your pantry next to your fridge, I would use the same size your other uppers. And yes, I think you should use the same size on you uppers and your lowers but as they say on here, "do what makes you happy"

• greenhaven
    10 years ago

" With all the kitchens I've seen here, I don't think I've ever thought to myself "What a beautiful kitchen - too bad they screwed up the pulls!" "

That probably ought to be included in the design primer, lol! Words to live by...

• jellytoast
    Original Author
    10 years ago

" ... but as they say on here, "do what makes you happy" ... "

I wish I knew what that was!

Thank you all for your input and comments. I do like the way it looks using all one size and that would certainly be easier, but I'm still hopeful that I can figure out the best way to use a variety. I think I am getting even more confused (if that's even possible!). :-)

If only DH wasn't putting on the squeeze ... :-(

• kksmama
    10 years ago

Jellytoast, I agonized over handle sizes after trying (3 times!) to find the right knobs for upper uppers. I bought very wide ones for most of my wide drawers, and then used varied sizes of them vertically for the upper doors. I love your handle style and am sure you will be pleased when it is done! You could try photoshopping options, or make bars out of foil and tape them up. Here you can see the 160mm handles on the pullouts flanking the range, the 120mm on the 42" uppers, and the 96mm on the 18" upper uppers. I used the 120mm on the cabinet above the oven.

Hardware was one of the decisions that I spent a lot of time on, but but I haven't had any second thoughts since installation. I don't know if it is because I got it right, or because it wasn't really very important in the first place, lol!

• jellytoast
    Original Author
    10 years ago

" ... or because it wasn't really very important in the first place, lol!"

I hear you!!! :-)

Yes, of course I know it is not important at all in the whole scheme of things, and you're right ... once they are in I'll get over it (and move on to obsess about something else). I really don't know why I'm driving myself crazy over it. If there is one thing I've learned on GW, it is that there are a million and one ways to do the same thing! I did try to be very specific with my questions because I thought I almost had it all nailed down except for a couple of things that were stumping me. But so far I feel like I'm hearing I should go with much bigger pulls, or go with all the same size!

My husband is really going to freak out if he comes home and sees that I've added tin foil handles to the blue tape fiasco! :-)

This post was edited by jellytoast on Tue, Mar 4, 14 at 20:51

• deedles
    10 years ago

Maybe you can't decide because you don't like your pulls? They are really nice but I read this comment "It isn't exactly the look I was going for, but it is what I ended up with. I was hoping these pulls could be considered "transitional" and thus go with my kitchen."

Maybe you should look for pulls that have the look you are going for? Just throwin' it out there...

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 years ago

I used all 128mm pulls; I thought about using larger on the larger drawer and pantry, but felt they might look out of proportion in what is overall a smaller space. In a larger kitchen I think that I would have certainly used the larger size on the larger drawers and doors. I really do think all the same looks fine -- they carry their own symmetry and balance apart from the size of the cabinet.
    I also think the larger pulls of Badgergal look good. I notice that hers are slimmer than mine are, so they don't dominate the doors/drawers as I think my chunkier pulls might have.

I personally don't care for smaller than 128mm, unless it is a very small drawer.

• jellytoast
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hahaha ... no deedles, I meant MY KITCHEN wasn't the look I was going for but it's what I ended up with. Regarding the pulls, they aren't my first choice, but my first choice would have me spending over $700 on hardware for my small, modest kitchen. Eeek. Honestly, I just got sick of looking at pulls and knobs and I do like the ones I'm planning to use. But you're right, I'm not that excited over them. But DH would be over the moon to have something, anything, besides blue tape.

• scpalmetto
    10 years ago

I like your choice of hardware, could you share where you found them? .

• gr8daygw
    10 years ago

I like the handles on your refrigerator. I have seen pulls that are round but straight satin nickel or brushed to match the fridge. Like this:

[Traditional Pulls[(https://www.houzz.com/products/traditional-cabinet-and-drawer-pulls-prbr1-br~t_689~s_2107) by Meridian Kitchen & Bath Fixtures Simply Knobs And Pulls

This post was edited by gr8day on Tue, Mar 4, 14 at 23:46

• jellytoast
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hahaha, firsthouse_mp ... blue tape pulls. Are you trying to get me killed??

Would you mind posting a picture of your upper cabs? I like your pulls. I looked at some very similar but they were a tad (okay, a lot) too expensive. What size did you use on your upper doors? Which size on on the lower doors?

gr8day, I like those, but don't want to have them catching on my clothing so I ruled them out.

scpalmetto, they are Berenson Aspire.

This post was edited by jellytoast on Wed, Mar 5, 14 at 10:22

• kksmama
    10 years ago

Ok, looking back to try and help with your specific questions.

1) If the 96mm looks small to you, use the 128.

2) What are you using on the drawers? I'd be concerned about putting smaller pulls on the doors below a drawer than on the drawer itself. In general I think doors and hardware should be smaller as height increases.....like block towers, which have the larger blocks on the bottom. But I still have one set of doors (below my prep sink) that don't have hardware because I can't figure out what to use.

3) Sounds like 128 would work best, if the relationship between the upper door and 128 is similar to the relationship between the lower door and the 160.

Good luck! Tell your dh that mine feels his pain every time he wants to open the prep sink cabinet.

• jellytoast
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, kksmama!

I'm having trouble figuring out what you mean by this ... "I think doors and hardware should be smaller as height increases.....like block towers, which have the larger blocks on the bottom."

I also don't know what you mean in #3 (sorry, maybe I'm just tired. Or dense!).

As for the drawers-above-door cabinets, I was going to use a few different sizes. For instance, I have two 12-inch base door cabinets that have a drawer above them. I'd use the smallest 96mm pull on the drawer portion. Just can't figure out which size to use on the door part. And I have two others, and 18 inch and a 21 inch. I'd use the medium pulls on the drawer portion of those, but again, not sure what to use on the door portion.

• kksmama
    10 years ago

I'll explain, but it doesn't mean I'm right!

"I think doors and hardware should be smaller as height increases.....like block towers, which have the larger blocks on the bottom."

In this picture, I used 160s on the bottom doors (which are bigger than the upper doors visually because they are wider and solid even though the upper doors are taller), 128s on the upper doors, and 96 on the upper uppers.

I think putting handles horizontally on drawers and vertically on the doors underneath is very tricky and the reason I'm stuck on my sink cabinet, so I'm looking forward to seeing how you resolve it!

• maggieq
    10 years ago

We graduated from blue tape to cardboard cutouts the size of each pull, rolled blue tape around and used it "double sided" to attach the cutouts. Made our final size choices based on that, it really did help to visualize. We ended up using at least 4 different size pulls around the room. As stated above, there is no wrong choice!

• jellytoast
    Original Author
    10 years ago

" ... so I'm looking forward to seeing how you resolve it!"

Heehee, I hope you don't have to wait forever!

Thanks for explaining the "blocks" theory ... that does look good the way you've done it ... I would have never thought of that. I only have one lower cabinet with a door that doesn't have a drawer above it (it's the hinged door on my corner cabinet).

I'm going to do a search to see if I can find a reveal for firsthouse_mp to see how she handled the pull situation in the rest of her kitchen. Firsthouse, if you come back to this thread, please see my questions above!

• firstmmo
    10 years ago

I think this shows the horizontal and the vertical and the uppers.

My pulls are very plain but I like things that way. They are the Top Knobs Square Pulls in various sizes; here is what I paid:

3-3/4" $6.330/ea (mostly these)
    5-1/16" $7.65/ea (these second)
    6-5/16" $8.68/ea (these just for the oversized drawers)
    8-13/16" $12.42/ea (only needed 2 of these)

• jellytoast
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you firsthouse!

The pulls I was looking at that were similar to yours were from Berenson's "R. Christensen" collection. They are made from the same material and look pretty much identical, but they were priced way out of my budget ... $15.00 for the 96mm, $18.38 for the 128mm and $23.25 for the 160mm!!! The top knobs are in my price range so I'll order samples of them today. Do you remember where you ordered them? I am seeing somewhat higher prices on the site I visited then the ones you posted.

What I REALLY want to know though is ... what size pulls did you use on your uppers, and which size did you use on your lower DOORS? Do you have any base cabinets that are a door with a drawer above? What size did you use on the doors there?

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

You know, I seldom have kitchen envy because I'm evidently just not that kind of person. Really, actually, envy of anything. Just not my thing. I take real, vicarious pleasure in someone else's accomplishments, successes, windfalls, choices and beauty.

This thread, however, with all those gorgeous cabinets and hardware has tweaked a nerve. So beautiful! I find myself wishing for something finished in my home.

I am having trouble today reminding myself that blue tape handles are not fashion statements. [sigh]

Keep the handle eye candy coming, OK?

• firstmmo
    10 years ago

Here is where I ordered everything from. It was almost 4 years ago though, so perhaps things went up slightly (but not to the cost of the R. Christensen price!):
    http://www.topknobshardware.net/

Any pull that was vertical was the 3-3/4" both for the uppers and for the doors below the sink. I placed them 1" from the edge and 1" from the top/bottom of the door.

More uppers that have the smallest size pulls:

Here are some base cabinets with drawers above (warming drawer). I used the small pulls again on the doors, to the left of doors are the 5" pulls on the drawers and above them is the 6" on the warming drawer:

• jellytoast
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much ... that is a huge help!!! And thanks to all who contributed opinions and guidance. New samples are on the way ... wish me luck.

• feisty68
    10 years ago

My thought would be different pull strategies for different kitchens.

In a small kitchen I would strive for as much uniformity as possible, because one doesn't have as many repeating elements to work with, like banks of drawers or doors, as a larger kitchen does. Also, in a small kitchen one is likely to have less detailing like elaborate moldings, etc.

If your kitchen was my kitchen I would probably do all one size pull, or all the same on the base cabinets and smaller on the upper cabinets.

Also, I would really pay attention to how the pulls feel to your hand. If possible, mount some on scrap wood and grab them? I am liking the trend towards larger pulls for that reason. Thinking of my vintage dresser that has too-small pulls right now.

Badgergal - I really like the scale of the pulls that you picked, and how they mimic the fridge pulls.

Jellytoast - I like the pulls that you picked. If you wanted to nudge towards mimicking the look of your fridge pulls, however, you could look for bar pull-style handles without the clothing-catching ends.

• jellytoast
    Original Author
    10 years ago

feisty, I already have the pro-style handles on my fridge, range, and dishwasher, so I don't know if I want to mimic that all over the kitchen. I do like the Berenson pulls that I pictured above, and they do have a quality feel and finish that I really like, but I'm not madly in love with them for my space. I do want just a simple bar pull, though, and have ordered samples in firsthouse_mp's style. We'll see how they look when they get here, but I am hopeful.

• canuckplayer
    10 years ago

Post the pics please when you get those pulls.

• firstmmo
    10 years ago

Jelly: Anything come in the mail yet?