Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texas_gem

How much did your remodel or renovation cost?

Texas_Gem
10 years ago

With the other thread asking whether people paid cash or took out loans, I was just curious how much it cost and what you got for it?

We built a new 12x12 kitchen onto our slab house, a new 12x15 covered back porch, both of which required modifying the roof line and reshingling that entire side. We converted the old back porch into a dining room with french doors out to the covered porch. We tore down 4 different sections of walls, put a breezeway off of the mudroom, expanded the mudroom and built a walk in pantry. The only thing we contracted out was the slab pour and the cabinets. Total cost so far has been about 27,000.
I feel like we have done really well to get so much for only 27,000 but I'm just curious what others have paid.

Comments (16)

• dcward89
    10 years ago

We are not quite done but are on track to be right around $35,000. It was a total floor-ceiling gut job including removing 2 walls to open up the kitchen to the lr/dr and losing a hall closet to add much needed additional square footage.. All new electrical including a new sub-panel and completely rewiring every outlet and switch and adding additional ones and adding 9 recessed lights and under-cabinet lighting. Completely different heating system for the kitchen. We had 7 sections of baseboard hydronic heating in the old kitchen. Those have been removed and replaced with 2 toe kick heaters. We are replacing the kitchen window and the door going from the garage into the kitchen. We are also removing an exterior door and using that space for a pantry cabinet...new flooring, new cabinets, new countertops, new backsplash, new sink, new faucet, new range (new refrigerator if I can talk my hubby into it...he wants to wait until the old, little skinny fridge dies to replace it). My goodness, that's a lot of new!!! If it all comes together in real life like it is in my mind it will be beautiful and worth every penny!!

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

We remodeled a 10' x 11' U-shaped kitchen, plus a 5-ft-wide floor to ceiling pantry wall. Cabinets built by a local cabinet maker, 42" uppers, Cambria counters, undercabinet lighting, tile floors. We got a new fridge and range, but kept our DW. The Cambria counters were our big splurge, but once we fell in love with it in the showroom, we couldn't find anything else that even came close.

Grand total was about $31K. Worth every single penny!

• lenzai
    10 years ago

wow dcward89, that seems like a great deal. Can I ask are you in Washington DC (based on your name)? We're in MD and have been quoted way more for a small kitchen gut job.

• Texas_Gem
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow CRL, I know it was 14 years ago but dang! That's impressive that you could get flooring, counters, lighting and appliances for 6000.

• dcward89
    10 years ago

lenzai...sorry, no, we are not in DC area...those are my hubby and my initials and our last name. We actually live in NE OH...west of Cleveland. This has been a partial DIY job...we contracted out all the electrical work and we hired my hubby's brother (he is a licensed plumber and does GC work as well). We couldn't let him work for free but he wouldn't accept full GC pricing so we came to an agreement. He is helping us with whatever we need at however many hours it takes for a flat fee that is drastically below what we would pay someone else. My hubby and I have done 100% of the demo work and we will be doing the work of replacing the window and the garage door. His brother is doing all the plumbing work...which included the hydronic heating issues. They have done/are working on the drywall, flooring, cabinet installation and backsplash together. We think it would have cost us between $50,000 - $60,000 if we had contracted out the complete job.

• lenzai
    10 years ago

Thanks for the details dcward89. That's more on par with what we've been quoted (I'm not confident enough in my/husband's DYI skills to tackle this job and we have no handy relatives :)

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

You might want to read the below report that uses data from all across the nation. It's sortable by region or city. The national average kitchen remodel is 55K. That's not a "refresh", that's going all new from flooring up to the paint on the ceiling. Using licensed and insured contractors, not DIY.

Keeping any portion of the existing kitchen can help to bring the costs down (or could be very unwise, depending on the circumstances).

DIYing can help to bring the costs down, IF you are a capable DIYer. Starting out DIY and switching to a contractor halfway through usually costs more.

Keeping your needs in mind and not indulging a laundry list of Houzz wants can keep your costs down. Even on a budget kitchen though, you should make room for at least one splurge that will make you happy. It's when you say yes to every splurge, and everything is a stretch for your budget that trouble comes to visit.

And, average is just that. Average. Some under that number. Some above.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cost Vs. Value 2014

• Texas_Gem
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks live_wire_oak. The reason I'm asking us because that is the only type if data I have found and only deals with gutting existing space.

We added 12 feet to the entire back of our house, modified roof line, ran all new plumbing, electrical, HVAC, gutted the old kitchen, repurposed it and the old back porch into new spaces which involved more demo and rebuild, got new cabinets, new countertops and some new appliances.

I know I'm not the only one who has done something like this so I was curious how much it cost others, particularly if they actually built on to their house during their remodel.

• crl_
    10 years ago

Texas gem, it was a tiny kitchen which had the advantage of keeping the materials cost down. When you only have an 8 x 8 space, it doesn't cost much to buy flooring and countertop materials. I think the appliances were just around $3500 for a low end Bosch dishwasher, the tiny 10 cubic foot LG refrigerator and a low end GE gas range.

• melissaki5
    10 years ago

We did a gut and remodel of our entire house for around $65,000. A LOT of DIY with some hiring out. Our house isn't very big, the dreaded 1970 era raised ranch with about 1100 square feet on the top and 1100 on the bottom. Our garage is attached but to the back of the house. The kitchen cost us about $11,000 in materials (not including appliances.) Our plumbing is all new, electrical mostly new, we kept some drywall, and the hardwood floors upstairs we saved but had them refinished. New roof, windows, doors, trim, etc. I didn't want to go over $75,000 for the whole job and we still have to do a driveway and landscaping which will definitely push us over a bit.
    I think the things that saved us the most money is DH is very handy and imaginative so we were able to use his skills in places that could have cost us a lot more and two was our ability to shop around for materials. For almost everything we bought from light fixtures, to cabinets, to appliances I shopped around until I found I was getting a good value. Whenever you are remodeling there are so many wants that can push the budget up. You have to step back and splurge on the ones that are really important to you and try and cut back on things that are less important..

Did anyone look at the chart from live wire? I am sorry but I can't believe some (not all) of the prices. I checked Chicago and it says a mid range master suite addition is $127,000. Upscale was $257,000. I would love to know what that includes.

• williamsem
    10 years ago

We came in at about 37,000 for the kitchen and half bath. That included new cork floors, new drywall, a lot of electric work (moving outlets, adding recessed lights, moving the fan, UCL, running a new 240 v line for the new oven), new drywall on the ceiling, new frameless cabs, granite counters, new powder room fixtures, our beloved Orca sink, etc, etc, etc. It was a bit more that I anticipated, but I did tons of research ahead of the budget and all the overage is in cabinets. Double angles end cabinet, pull out pantry, extra deep upper and oven stack and I wouldn't change it if we did it again :-). No DIY, all via GC. Nothing but electric moved.

• User
    10 years ago

IF you click on the projects, it will show you what is included.

''Add a 24-by-16-foot master bedroom suite over a crawlspace. Include walk-in closet/dressing area, whirlpool tub in ceramic tile platform, separate 3-by-4-foot ceramic tile shower, and double-bowl vanity with solid-surface countertop. Bedroom floor is carpet; bathroom floor is ceramic tile. Painted walls, ceiling, and trim. General and spot lighting, exhaust fan; electrical wiring to code.''

Before

After

• Nicole
    10 years ago

Under $10k. It was completely DIY though, but I feel we did great for that amount. We did a complete gut, removed a load bearing wall, foam insulated, moved plumbing, electrical, etc, etc., etc. Our area of the world would never support $30k+ renovations on a kitchen. You could build a barn to hold a lot of dairy cows for that. LOL

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

$45 for gut and remodel of kitchen, powder and laundry. Included some unexpected expenses. We are not diyers and went through a gc with local mid-low end semi custom cabs. Moved kitchen to a new room and that added a lot. Built a couple of walls, took down a load bearing wall, added three interior doors and one exterior, new windows and so forth. We really tried to keep costs down on the finishes so we could get the guts right, and didn't get new appliances except a cheap vent hood from Costco. The previous owners cut a lot of corners so we tried not to do anything that would make future owners hate us (e.g. ran flooring under cabs this time).

New kitchen 11x15, old kitchen (new laundry) 12x10, powder 5x5.

We live in a fairly low cost city in Nova Scotia Canada.

This post was edited by robotropolis on Wed, Mar 12, 14 at 21:19

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

It's interesting to read these numbers in light of the numbers an acquaintance of mine is getting for rebuilding a porch. One significant part of the expense is seven standard size, but custom lite-pattern sliders at a total of $30K (and he gets a rate because he is an architect). The rest of the job is coming in at around $75K-90K for totals up to $120K so far. It costs as much to redo a porch where I live apparently, as it does to build an entire house some places.