Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amberley_gw

I. Am. Going. To. Lose. My. Mind. Shaw+Waste King=no water

amberley
14 years ago

Some of you have probably seen my posts about my troubles with the installation of my garbage disposal. I am now going on 3 weeks that I should have had water. Once again, plumbers came today and could not get it to work. We have a Shaw sink. I bought the Rohl extended flange. Rohl makes the sink and the flange. Rohl specs say that said flange will work with Wast King 3-bolt garbage disposals. THEY DON'T.

Called Waste King. They said they have had this question before. A simple fix! Buy the Insinkerator flange assembly minus the flange. It should work! IT DOESN'T.

Initially when the plumber went to install, we had the wrong disposer (I ordered it right and stupid me didn't think to check the model # on the box). So we got the "right" one. Didn't work either. So 3rd time he comes back and the "fix" still doesn't work.

Now I have paid to have 2 disposers shipped. I will have paid for 2 disposer to ship back. I have had to get one at Lowe's- no time to bargain shop as I need it NOW. I am also now out a very expensive flange and stopper from Rohl. And, I had to order Insinkerator parts, OVERNIGHT, which cost a FORTUNE. When all is said and done I think I am going to have a $1000 garbage disposer.

And the most annoying thing is the plumber is trying to pass the buck. He blames me for getting the worng parts, even though I bought it to spec. He said this wouldn;t have happened if HE bought them. Yes it would! I would have told him what I wanted, and then he would have bought what the manufacturer listed, and then we would have been right back to square one! He also doesn't bother to show up on time, or like yesterday, at all. He told my GCon Friday he would be here before noon yesterday. Then he LIED when I told him I was not happy today becuase he didn't show up yesterday, and said he never said he COULD be here yesterday. My GC looked at me and I could tell was thinking, WHAT!!!???

I don't think he had ever heard of a batch feed. I asked, BEFORE ANY installation of the rough in plumbing began if they had worked with the fireclay apron sinks before, and they said yes. If that was the case, he should have known all about the flanges. Not to mention that I had all involved components- the flange, the sink, the disposer, etc. ON SITE before construction even began. He should have looked at them ahead of time (especially if he was so concerned about customers buying their own stuff) to make sure everything was compatible.

I am so irritated. Thanks for letting me vent. Hopes this serves as a warning for those looking to get a Waste King for their Shaw sink.

Comments (39)

• countrygal_905
    14 years ago

amberley - Just wanted to give you a cyber hug. I checked out your thread because I've been feeling I'm going to lose my mind over this remodel/additon also. I just asked my husband if the treatment for a nervous breakdown was cheaper than that for alcoholism. Hang in there--I'm tryin to.

• beekeeperswife
    14 years ago

Wow. I am sorry you are having this trouble. Can you ask your GC to get you a new plumber? This one has lied to you multiple times.

Can you get a rep from the Shaw sink company come out to your house? There must be such a person--who comes if there is a warranty claim?

Other option you don't want to hear....ditch the garbage disposal all together. We have a septic system, and don't really use ours too much. A lot of our neighbors don't even have one. My sister's township doesn't allow them at all.

I wish you lots and lots of luck, this is such a mess. Hang in there, and have a BIG glass of wine tonight, or start now. A friend gave me a glass that holds an entire bottle of wine, now that's a good friend. Best of Luck.

• amberley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I would like a new plumber. But I only want one that has experience with fireclay sinks. I called my plumber I used for my basement fiasco, but they haven't dealt with these sinks. My GC is currently looking for a new plumber. He has already told me he done with these guys.

When I called Rohl last week they were VERY defensive about the sink and the flange they make working with the Waste King. I wasn't too thrilled with them either. I will be calling them again after this gets resolved. If I am stuck with hundreds of dollars of Rohl parts I can't use, I want them to refund it.

I CAN'T live without a disposer. We did for 6 months, and I thought I was going to lose it. I have always had one, so I am not used to having to worry about it. That is why I got a 1 HP- so I can put absolutely anything down it.

Oh bee- how I wish I could have a glass of wine!! I have Lyme, and it gets worse with alcohol for some reason. Haven't had anything in a year and a half. I really miss my cabernet and my Guinness!

• weissman
    14 years ago

Would an Insinkerator disposal work - particularly since you need to use their parts?

• Gena Hooper
    14 years ago

Craziness! I'm so sorry! What do other people with Shaw's sinks do? Surely a fairly decent percentage of them have garbage disposals.

Countrygal, I had to laugh. I haven't even begun my kitchen reno, and feel like I'm going to either have a nervous breakdown or drown in wine.

• amberley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I just bought the Insinkerator and all the necessary accoutrements today. Not my first choice, but hopefully should work.

Things had gone SO well until this debacle.

Even though it is so overdone in the shelter mags by now, I had been planning to get one of those English WWII signs: "Keep Calm and Carry On" for the new kitchen. I think I need it now!!

Funny too, I was just looking around the kitchen "side" of the kit/DR, and I realized that I have virtually no wall space to put such a print! So, I think I will put it behind the range, where I was planning to put a mirror anyways! That way I can remind myself to not sweat the small stuff.

• kompy
    14 years ago

Wouldn't it be nice if plumber's (and carpenters) could get a certificate of training for farm sinks? Then homeowner's would find someone with experience with them.

If Waste King says it should work, I wonder if your plumber is the problem. Have you considered having the plumber speak to the Shaw's customer service people?? Not the distributor....but Shaws? That's what I would do at this point.

Kompy

Ps.
    When he said: "this wouldn;t have happened if HE bought them". Maybe what he is saying is that if you had bought the sink, faucet, disposer...etc all from him, you wouldn't be out all that money. It would be his responsibility to get the right parts.

Regarding warranties: My plumber will warranty the labor on certain fixtures if the fixtures fail. But you must buy them from him. If you buy at a store or online, then it's manufacturer's warranty only and you'll have to install yourself or hire him again.

• amberley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Maybe I will do the Union Jack poster?

I need to have something to occupy my mind other than the absence of working plumbing.

Here is a link that might be useful: keep calm and carry on

• amberley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

kompy- do you mean call England, as opposed to Rohl North America? I called Rohl NA, not who I bought it from.

I don't think that the plumber meant anything about my own protection when he said he doesn't like when the homeowner gets their own stuff. I think he was directly implying that homeowners are idiots. He did not warranty the labor on any fixture if it is a manufacturer issue. That was actually one of the reasons I wanted as Waste King to begin with, since they do! Oh well.

• cleo07
    14 years ago

I can't believe this is still going on.

You will be fine with the insinkerator. I put everything down there; chicken bones, watermelon rinds, olive pits are no match.

Here's to hoping you recover some money.

Cleo

• PoorOwner
    14 years ago

Hi, as far as I know with waste king you either use their flange and 3 bolt system, all the way top and bottom, and the second opton is you can use ISE flange and then adapter too, the 2 setup is different. It would seem to me after you get your ISE extended flange, the WK should work for you with the second method.

I hope you get it sorted soon.

• warmfridge
    14 years ago

''My plumb*er will warranty the labor on certain fixtures if the fixtures fail. But you must buy them from him.''

This always baffles me. If we only bought from plumb*ers, we'd all have chrome Delta faucets and SS Home Dep*ot sinks. No bridge faucets, bronze finishes, Silgranit sinks, or matching soap dis*pensers. Ditto for elec*tricians and light fixtures.

Maybe it's a function of the area where I live, but I've yet to meet a GC, plumb*er, or elec*trician who really knew much about potential choices or had any interest in ordering from the internet for products not available locally. Maybe it's just the easy way out to not learn about new stuff or provide warranties on same.

• amberley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

poorowner- You know what really baffles me? I called Waste King customer support, and they actually told me to do this ISE "fix with the Rohl flange and their disposer. Why wouldn't they have told me to just use their flange? Doesn't make much sense.

Well, tomorrow I will have both a Waste King disposer batch feed and a ISE disposer Excel, with a Cover Control (bath feed) adaptor, a Rohl flange and an ISE flange. Hopefully SOMETHING in this stuff will work.

In the meantime I am prepping the living area side of the house to start finishing the floors in there on Thursday.

• petepie1
    14 years ago

Going with the ISE from Lowe's instead of Waste King may work to your advantage in the future -- if/when it ever breaks, you'll have an easy replacement using the existing flange etc. I have GE and every time I have to replace one, I just order the same model again -- very easy install, everything is already lined up. ISE is so freely available, you'll have more options in the future for replacements.

• grlwprls
    14 years ago

I just bought a blank book that says "Keep Calm and Have a Cupcake". :-) It makes me smile. I actually got a KCACO mug when the you know what hit the fan with my r enovation (so back on track now! and we're so happy).

Also, have you seen Hudson Goods? It's a little more industrial, but they might have some stuff that will take your mind off garbage disposals.

I am getting an Evolution after seeing this unfold. My Shaw's is in a box in my apartment's foyer.

• Gena Hooper
    14 years ago

Love the "Keep Calm" art. I ran across this at a boutique the other day. For some reason, it makes me feel calm and happy. I think I'm going to have to get it for my new kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sugarboo Designs

• pinch_me
    14 years ago

Just my wicked mind thinking in a different direction.......when you bought your plumbing supplies from someone else, how much did your plumber make on the purchase?

• amberley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

pickle- Love that slatted wood artwork! Sugarboo's website was adorable! Too bad you can't order straight from that!

grlwprls- I had come across Hudson once- awhile ago. I think it was bookmarked in my old computer that crashed. I had forgotten all about it. They have really expanded their selection since last I looked. The have some pretty cool stuff.

I think it is going to be like Christmas when I unpack all my stuff. I don't even remember what I have anymore!

I really can't wait for everything to be done so I can do the fun part- accessories! I just picked up some really neat chickenwire chargers at work the other day that are going to be the perfect complement to my chickenwire doors!

I digress...

• amberley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

pinch-

He didn't make anything on the goods. I bought them all. Except copper pipe, etc. for the rough in. I thought of that immediately when he first said that 2 weeks ago.

The guy has no business sense. He doesn't realize that he has lost alot of business by screwing this up. Not only is my GC not going to use him, but I certainly won't be recommending him. Normally this wouldn;t be a big deal to most people, but this guy livesin my neighborhood. My neighborhood is enormous- 1700+ rowhomes. If he did a great job I would have been singing his praises and he would have gotten alot of work as a result. His loss!

• altagirl
    14 years ago

amberley - Good luck tomorrow! I'll keep my fingers crossed that it all works for you. If not, is there any way you could do a continuous feed disposer? I have the insinkerator (badger 9, 3/4 h*p) with a Rohl extended flange, Franke air*switch, and the the Shaws sink. It all works fine together. I'm sure you don't want to buy anything else at this point but I was just thinking maybe as a last resort...

• warmfridge
    14 years ago

Amberley,
    I think Pinch was being just a wee bit sarcastic. Your plumber didn't make his accustomed 25% on the components you bought so he may not be trying very hard to make them fit together.

• amberley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

altagirl- I REALLY don't want to do a continuous feed- plus that would require yet another purchase, and also more $$ for the electrician to come out and add a switch....

I never would have guessed that this would have been the major issue with this remodel. Never a dull moment when remodeling kitchens...

• Circus Peanut
    14 years ago

I hate to say it, but I think I agree with Warmfridge and Pinch: " Your plumber didn't make his accustomed 25% on the components you bought so he may not be trying very hard to make them fit together."

It does seem awfully suspicious that this shady guy who was so bent out of shape when you didn't purchase through him just coincidentally can't seem to make the parts work together, at your cost, when all the manufacturers and spec sheets say otherwise...

This too shall pass!

• weedmeister
    14 years ago

You know, I could live without a GD, but not without my Guiness.

I wish I could send you some thin mints and a glass of milk. It calms me down sometimes.

• amberley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

weedmeister- LOL- cookies have been my "wine" during this remodel. And I LOVE thin mints. Good for the soul but not for the waistline!

• amberley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

FINALLY!!! It works!!!

Insinkerator Evolution Excel 1 HP (continuous feed) + Insinkerator Cover Control Adapter (to make into batch feed) + Rohl chrome extended flange + Shaw sink = running water and working garbage disposer!!

• countrygal_905
    14 years ago

Yeah!!! Have some cookies to celebrate!!!

• amberley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Celebration too soon. Seriously. This is ridiculous.

So I turned on the dishwasher to run a cycle, as directed in the instructions. 20 minutes later, by DW Floodstop starts beeping. The dishwasher is leaking from somewhere underneath!! And then I notice there is a small leak under the P-trap too!!

• warmfridge
    14 years ago

You really, really, really need to find a new plumber.

• rjr220
    14 years ago

I was so happy for you for the 20 seconds I read the "all's well" post. Then I just had to go get some chocolate. Hoping things will get better.

• weedmeister
    14 years ago

Dang Nabit!!!

The P-trap is easy. Just tighten a bit more. Not too much if plastic, you can strip it.

The DW is going to be either the fill or the drain. The fill should have a cutoff under the sink: turn off the water. This again may be a connection that needs to be tightened down a little more. The drain on the KA is just a hose, but it has a clamp on the pump/motor end and another at the airgap (do you have one of these?) or the GD end. (I assume the first time it drained you heard/saw the water going through the GD?)

In terms of 'high loop' (and no airgap) the hose needs to be mounted so that there is a high point in the line somewhere. It connects to a short section of hose at the bottom of the washer with a provided clamp. Maybe the clamp is missing or is in the wrong place.

Anyway, this isn't rocket science and you need perhaps someone else to look at it. A plumber is not necessary, perhaps just a handyman. Or someone else who knows which end of a screwdriver and pliers are to be used in this instance.

• wa8b
    14 years ago

Did the slug get punched out on the dishwasher drain line nipple on the disposer? If not, that may the root cause of your leaks problem.

• weedmeister
    14 years ago

BTW: the guy DID run the thing himself after he finished the install but before he put on the toe plate?

Oh yes, I forgot to congradulate you for puttin in a water sensor! Hooray!

• amberley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I was so flustered today when they were here fixing it (it took them an hour and a half to get here!!!!) that I was not in the kitchen at all. I had a million other things to be doing. My GC came out to to babysit them. He told me that the P-trap was slightly lose- no big deal there. The dishwasher hose, he said, was a 2-piece assembly that evidently was not tight enough at the joint. They said that it came that way from the factory and was faulty. This came from my GC, whom I trust, and he said neither he or the plumber have seen an assembly like this.

I am done with the plumber. My GC is currently looking for a new sub as he is done with them too.

I am looking forward to cleaning dishes in my now functional dishwasher, and being able to boil water for pasta.

• altagirl
    14 years ago

So, is it all working now? Glad to hear the dw is functioning. :)

• weedmeister
    14 years ago

It's funny. I'm a guy who actually reads the instructions. I learned that servicing avionics on 747s. The KA installation instructions show the two parts coming together under the washer. And it shows the required clamp. And if the clamp goes in the wrong place that it will leak. Oh, well...

Linguine and clams? Chicken cacciatore?

• amberley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

weedmeister- My first question was- "did you read the directions??"- I think you know what the answer was. Something I can't stand about contractors that are stuck in their ways and think that everything is made the way it "always" was. Just read the damn directions!!!!!

BTW, the first pasta requested from my little guys will probably be mac and cheese LOL!!

• lee676
    13 years ago

> Celebration too soon. Seriously. This is ridiculous.

> ..... And then I notice there is a small leak under the P-trap

I've had the same problem with the new series of Insinkerator Evolution disposers, particularly the top-line Excel. They're great in every way - grinds everything to tiny shreds incredibly quietly, doesn't jam, and is easy to install. But.... the new soft & flexible mount to the discharge tube (done to increase isolation and thus decrease noise) seems to be hard on the drain plumbing, and I've had several installations of these that are perfectly dry and leakproof when I install them, only to shake their way loose a few weeks after I install it and leak around the trap. The standard white plastic P-trap with the supplied slip-on washer doesn't hold; I need something that either screws on or is glued in place, which normally isn't necessary. Anyone else having this problem?

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

OH, amberley!! Where the heck are you?? Inquiring minds want to know if you survived!