Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Forever granite seal

Posted by jjnv (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 19, 13 at 14:39

My previous tenant destroyed the kitchen of our rental property, so we were forced to remodel a kitchen without much planning. I got a reasonable quote for cabinets and installation from the shop did our kitchen last year. I did not plan on using granite countertop. I think the granite requires too much care for a rental property. The KD told me they can have the granite sealed by Forever Seal in their shop for $3 extra per sq ft and they would guarantee the seal will be good for 15 years. I can't find any information about forever seal in this forum. Has anyone heard them? I'd appreciate any information you could offer.

Thanks,

Jane

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Forever granite seal

" I think the granite requires too much care for a rental property."

The correct stone should not require much of any "care."

o

Our fabricator includes the 15 year seal in the price of all their jobs. I'm not sure how it holds up though.

o

For a rental kitchen I would go laminate. It looks good, wears well, and is a good deal less expensive than granite, quartz, or solid surface. I don't necessarily agree that granite takes too much care, but I don't really see the point of using it for a rental that could once again be trashed.

o

Thanks for the suggestions. I've seen greasy granite too many times. We have dark brown granite in our kitchen and I am constantly wipe out water drops near the sink area so that it won't show water marks.

I have not purchased laminate before. Are you talking about the ones I can just buy from home depot? Do I have to hire another contractor to fit it after the cabinet is in place?

Thanks,

Jane

o

Get a bulletproof granite like blue pearl or uba tuba and it won't need sealing or any maintenance. Those lifetime sealers are a bit of a scam - what's the remedy on the warranty if they don't work!

o

Uba tuba is the granite they used to quote me. I thought it must be the lowest price. What makes it low maintenance?

o

Dark granites like uba tuba and blue pearl are dense stones that don't absorb liquids so they don't stain and don't need sealing. There are charts online that show the density of various granites.

o

We had laminate for years and years, but we've never actually installed/had it installed. People DIY it all the time, so it can't be too tricky or require special tools. If you're not doing it yourself, then I presume you do need someone to come in to install it. Maybe someone who's done this can help out here?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here