Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fabricator said 2" marble backsplash is impossible! Is this true?

Posted by threeapples (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 27, 13 at 14:37

I am trying hard to achieve the Plain English Design Spitalfields look, which has a very short backsplash. The fabricator said the marble will crumble if cut that thin. Do any of you have experience with this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fabricator said 2" marble backsplash is impossible! Is this t

Granite is more likely to fracture that short, and marble is softer. I'd be concerned.

o

I wonder if it could be cut at 3-1/2 inches, installed first and the counter butted up against it, effectively submerging some of the height behind the thinkness of the counter.

o

That's an interesting option, palimpsest. If not, would the 3" backsplash throw off all we are trying to achieve?

o

The easy way to accomplish this is to cut the backsplash from the same slab in a series of smaller sections and then seam them. When you take the one slab piece and section it, if the fabricator is good, then it still looks like one long piece. Itt's what we had to do on our full height backsplash. As one piece, it was too fragile and difficult to install. So, they cut it into sections and then just epoxied it together as each piece was installed. It looks like one piece from 2' away. You can see the seam if you get closer, but the only time you'll ever do that is to scrub off the grease from frying the chicken.

o

A two inch marble backsplash is possible; breezygirl put one in her kitchen. See the link below to a gw thread where she included a post about it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Breezygirl's two inch marble backsplash

o

I have a two inch splash, no problem for my fabricator and no problems with it so far. My marble is 2cm Calacatta. If yours is 3cm, or a soft marble, maybe that is the problem?

o

It depends on the kind of marble and the length of the pieces. "Veiny" marbles are prone to breaking at the veins.

o

Our is Vermont Montclair Danby 3 cm.

o

Pentimento posted my kitchen with 2" splashlette. Macro view:

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I hadn't planned on going this route, but my fabricator made some mistakes in this side of the kitchen so I offered this as a compromise. My very veiny Carrara is 4cm thick, but my fabricator told me they couldn't make a small strip of marble with a stone that thick so they used a 2cm Carrara for the splashlette. I initially asked for a 1" strip, but 2" was as small as they could go to ensure stability.

I'm guessing that your Danby isn't so common that it's available in several thicknesses. Have you seen 2cm Danby in your area? Even if available, you'll have an issue over who pays for an additional slab just to get that thin splash material.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here