Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jgopp

New camera..new photos! A year into my white kitchen.

jgopp
12 years ago

Okay so I got a nice new camera which I have vaguely mastered. So now instead of my crummy old cell phone photos found in this thread - http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg071631188429.html - I am uploading some new ones which much better showcase my kitchen.

I tried a few different lighting scales, so hopefully it looks good.

If the images don't load for you properly the first time you viewed this page..come back in an hour or two and everything should be rendered properly.

Here you go...

I believe if you click on the images it might take you to a full scale but I'm not sure, I think these are probably plenty big for most of y'all.

Comments (73)

• mydreamhome
    12 years ago

jgopp-We have a similar set of cabs in our kitchen that has an HVAC air return hidden in it. We got our metal inserts last week & I am not very happy with them at all. DH & I are starting the hunt for new ones. One of the ideas we had was to use a metallic color vs. the white we had the originals painted. That's what it looks like you have based on what I can see of yours. If it's not too much trouble, would you mind snapping a pic of your radiator concealing cabs? Also, if you remember where you got the inserts, I'd love to know! Thanks!!

• mmhmmgood
    12 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen! Love all the colours, and really love the superwhite.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Beautiful.
    Renee

• rhome410
    12 years ago

Lisa's right... Nothing at all sterile or cold about this kitchen, even with the white/gray on white and cool-colored walls. This is very inviting. Even without the put-me-to-shame Christmas decorations! :-) Now it only takes the remaining decor: photos, artwork, nicely arranged shelves, lovely unfitted furniture piece, fabric stools, and little lamps to do that job... Congrats on the new camera!

• EATREALFOOD
    12 years ago

countertop. lovely. :)

• nmrboston
    12 years ago

What kind of tile did you use? Color, texture and company? I love your kitchen - all the elements work so well. I am in the process of finishing my "white" kitchen - and tile is one of those items to be done. I don't want it to match the white (dove white BM) cabinets - but want a little depth and texture. Yours seems to do just that.
    Thanks in advance -

• ILoveRed
    12 years ago

So pretty. Love your lights.

• Ilene Perl
    12 years ago

It's beautiful!

• SugarCookies
    12 years ago

"The lights are the benson pendant from RH."

LOVE the pendants! Could you please tell me what RH stands for? Thanks.

Beautiful kitchen! That SW is gorgeous!

• carp123
    12 years ago

pretty blue ceiling!! digging the bevelled counter on the range side. I'm curious to know what is behind the cupboards/doors by the range.

• jgopp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

nmr: if you're asking about the backsplash tile it is American Olean in Matte white.

Sugar: RH stands for Restoration Hardware.

carp: it's my laundry area, you can see a better picture of it in the old thread.

Thanks much for the compliments :)

• jgopp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This is what my kitchen looks like on a fairly regular day to day basis...for comparison.

• jgopp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh I left one person out...

mydreamhome: there is a photo of the radiator cabinet on the other page, it is really simple actually, the doors are hinged and swing open, and above there is functional drawers for compartmentalized junk.

Hope that helps.

• hobokenkitchen
    12 years ago

Another poster who would like the dimensions of your island please.

Lovely kitchen, just gorgeous - I'm saving it for future reference. : )

• hobokenkitchen
    12 years ago

Bumping for island dimensions!
    Thanks!

• shivy
    12 years ago

Love your ceiling- so cool! DH would love the beer tap! Great job on color!

• ucgal
    12 years ago

I'm glad this got bumped... I missed it a few weeks ago.
    Beautiful. And good to hear the bertazzoni is working well for you, since we just put one in. :)

• hobokenkitchen
    12 years ago

Ok, found the island measurements in another post - as a couple of people had asked, I'll post the here: 125 x 44 (at widest point of bow).

If the OP sees this I would like to ask how wide the island is at the narrowest points?

Our island will be a similar length, but a few inches narrower, so I am interested as I think it might look somewhat similar.

• jgopp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

hoboken: on the ends it is 40 inches wide.

• hobokenkitchen
    12 years ago

Thanks jgopp - it's still a few inches wider than ours would be. I wonder how much that kind of difference would make....

Thanks again. Lovely kitchen!

• jgopp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'd have to say the problem I could see with a skinnier island is that there is less area for prep while still retaining area for seating. My current set up allows me to cook for a group of 4 sitting with a full set up while I use the big part of the island to prep/stage.

Thanks for the compliment, good luck with your remodel.

• hobokenkitchen
    12 years ago

Thanks. Do you find it tight as it is, or do you feel you have plenty of space?

I can probably squeeze an extra inch out of the island to about 38" all the way along (no bow), but that's probably about it.

Thanks!

• jgopp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It does cut down on the space by dining on the island. I can use it for putting pots and pans for serving even if there are people at the table. It works fairly well, although if I could do it over I would have expanded the island probably to 50inches at the widest part. 38 should work alright but I can imagine it being hard to prep and serve on the island.

• L thomas
    12 years ago

My favorite part of the kitchen? The Oberon and UofM pilsner glasses. Just moved from Michigan to Boston, and those remind me of home, sigh.

• jgopp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

arch: Gotta love Michigan Microbrewing. I have been stocking up heavily on kegs of Dragonmead lately. Their beer is so so good. That is the tap handle tucked into the corner. Also been drinking some of the "Big Rock Brewing Company" beers. Got a tasty gift card for two kegs for my birthday!

Good luck in your new home, personally I love Boston!

• L thomas
    12 years ago

Ah, Dragonmead Corktown Red at Slow's. Memories. Don't get me wrong, I love Boston. But I can still miss the mitten. My personal favorite Michigan Microbrew is Shorts. Amazing. And I apologize now for taking this thread completely off topic. Your kitchen is *strikingly* beautiful, but I need not say that. Anyone with two eyes can see it.

• jgopp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

arch: Yeah slows is great, though always super busy. Shorts does make some good beers. You just need to find a store in your area to get on their distributor list. Thanks again for the compliment.

• Bon22
    12 years ago

Awesome counters!!!

Love the kitchen, you did a great job!

• jgopp
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bon: Thanks, I love the counters still to this day.

• casaloma
    11 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! I've been admiring it silently for the last year. The kitchen in my current house is painted Rosemary Sprig with natural maple cabinets, which I have loved. Your kitchen has inspired me to keep that color in our new white kitchen that we are remodeling.

My husband has fallen in love with your beer tap/ bar sink set up. If you don't mind, could you list all the individual components of that? Most kegerators we have found look like undercounter refridgerators. I love how yours is hidden behind cabinetry.

How does the keg storage/fridge not interfere with the piping for the sink? We'd like for the faucet at our bar sink to dispense filtered water, but that means even more equipment under there. Not sure we can make it all work, although we do have a larger space than you in which to fit it. I know we could move the sink over, but I like how your sink is also the drip tray for the beer taps.

We will have an ice maker and a wine fridge along the same run of cabinetry, inherited from previous owner, both stainless steel. Thanks in advance for your help.
    Pam

• threeapples
    11 years ago

I love the ambiance of your kitchen. Gorgeous space and great mood.
    Would you please let me know the color of your cabinets and whether they are glazed?
    Thanks.

• casaloma
    11 years ago

bumping this up in hopes my question from two days ago gets seen

I still would love any info you (or anyone else)can give me on setting up a similar kegerator/bar sink set up. Thanks.
    Pam

• jgopp
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pam,

The keg system is not actually behind the cabinets there as it may look. I have a separate chilled bar line that goes from the basement up to the taps. I converted a chest freezer into a fridge using a temp controller. I posted a brief layout of the system with photos here... http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0221102126879.html I can actually store two half barrels of beer in the system, as I have today :) If you scroll down on that link there are pictures of the whole setup.

It is a great system and it is always funny to see the look one peoples face when I open up the cabinets below and they see the usable space. I did it this way because A. I wanted to be able to hold more beer (mainly for my home brewing operation), and B. Having secondary water in the kitchen. It makes a huge difference sometimes, especially if I'm having a party.

I would put the cost somewhere near $1000. And yes having beer on tap at home is awesome, totally awesome actually. But it does come with a price, and that price is cleaning. If you don't want to put up roughly 45 or so minutes of cleaning after killing off a keg then it might not be for you. Some people can be lazy and get away with it, but for me, if a friend of mine were to get sick due to my laziness it wouldn't make me feel good about myself.

Cleaning consists of taking the taps off, cleaning them either by hand or in the dishwasher. Then you run a beer line cleaning solution through the line using a small pump. Keeping the fridge clean is something I do to prevent mold growing in the bottom. And cleaning your tapper itself. Overall I find it overwhelmingly worth it. I have almost zero clean up to do after a party. I only end up with 20 or so glasses which go right into the dishwasher.

Downside to the system is that it is hard to bring half barrels into the house. I can handle it by myself being a younger man, but they are pretty heavy. I have an electric hoist above the keg fridge to help me hoist them into the fridge. Also the sticker shock of buying craft beer can be pretty intense. I think a keg of Bells Oberon was $245. Molson or Labatt is about $90, which equals about 40cents a beer.

The fridge has been stickered up since I installed it ha ha. I have attached a photo of the current status of the fridge below.

Good luck if you decide to do it. It is a great thing to have in your home if you like beer. But like I said it is not for everyone, and if you don't drink a lot or entertain a lot, the beer might spoil. Kegs connected to CO2 last typically 3-4 months, and a half barrel contains 150 or so beers. Research online to find out more about pressurizing and stuff, there is a lot to learn, but it can be absolutely worth it! I recommend it to all my beer loving friends.

• jgopp
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bumping this back to the front in case Pam wasn't able to see what I wrote. Pam: Hopefully you decided to go ahead with the beer tap!

• BalTra
    11 years ago

Wow.
    I missed this kitchen 'reveal'

It's lovely!

I'd appreciate seeing more photos of what looks like a pantry cabinet set at an angle beside your frig. Can we see inside??
    Please?

Thanks for posting again!

• raenjapan
    11 years ago

I missed this the first time. LOVE IT! What a fantastic space, and I'm jealous of the beer tap! Awesome job.

• modern_mom35
    11 years ago

Jgopp - could you tell me what size Benson pendants you went with?? So gorgeous!

• jgopp
    Original Author
    11 years ago

BalTra: I will get you the pics tomorrow.

modern_mom: They are the 7 inch pendants.

• casaloma
    11 years ago

Sorry I didn't post a reply right away. I did see that you answered my question and I appreciate it. Basement fridge is not an option for us as we are on slab. Since we have a longer run of counter to work with, we found that Perlick makes a 48" refrigerator/beer tap combo. We'd have room for at least 2 smaller size kegs and shelves for bottles/cans as well. Only thing, we would have to abandon idea of the bar sink acting as drip tray to the tap. Thanks again for your help and for sharing your beautiful kitchen with us.

• jgopp
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pam, cheers, good luck with it. Perlick makes some great stuff. You're certainly shelling out the dough for something that fancy. Hope you enjoy it!

• jgopp
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is a long time coming, but I moved the photos for user mydreamhome of my radiator cabinets.

I also included a picture of my stair risers with Pewabic tile detail. My builder still loves that I came up with this one. Every time he comes by he goes "gee that turned out great, I'm gonna have to steal that one from you".

• geomeg
    11 years ago

Your kitchen is gorgeous! Can you tell me what color your cabinets are? Is that a glaze on them?

thanks

• go_figure
    11 years ago

Your kitchen looks incredible. elegant yet inviting and livable ! Great work.

Can you tell me what kind of floors you have? Mfg and color.

Thank you!

• aokat15
    11 years ago

Hi jgopp - I'm wondering if you could share the brand of your rug and where you got it? It looks very similar to a rug I saw online that I'm considering for my living room but it's hard for me to pull the trigger on an oriental I've only seen online... if it is in fact the same that would be great as it looks great in your kitchen!! Thanks so much!

• phiwwy
    11 years ago

Stunning! Some questions:
    What is the greenish paint color and manuf?
    The stair riser tile: did those tiles fit exactly or were they cut? Did you select the individual tiles? What manuf are they? Cute idea. We will have a step down from our kitchen to a tiled office and thos is really cute. What were the tiles adhered to, the regular riser or another material?
    LOVE your super white, we are putting that in our bathroom!

• wallycat
    11 years ago

DROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!
    What more can I say!!?!

• jgopp
    Original Author
    11 years ago

aokat: it is some hand woven rug from a local store, I don't know if it is a "brand" or something, sorry.

phyl: it is Rosemary Sprig from BM. The tiles are from Pewabic Pottery in Detroit. They are from the "stratton collection" and come in that size which is 3x3 and they are just fixed regularly with grout. I custom ordered the tiles from them, they have a choice of about 10 or 12 standard colors to pick from.

• go_figure01
    11 years ago

hi jgopp,

Can you please post info about your flooring. It is gorgeous.

You did an amazing job in your kitchen. Congrats!!!

• jgopp
    Original Author
    11 years ago

go_figure01: sure, they are "Virgina Hardwoods(brand), Hand scraped Hickory(type)".

• yalemichmom
    7 years ago

Among other things, I like seeing the Michigan pilsner glass in the last photo. My daughter is a freshman at U of M, so we now go to the football games, drink good beer in Ann Arbor, and spend too much money in the "M Den." Go Blue! ; )