Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edlakin

Cabinet add-ons and upcharges

edlakin
16 years ago

We're currently sourcing cabinets and are finding the various add-ons and upcharges maddening. we want painted cabinets with a glaze and distressing elements. each of those is a separate add-on and together they often result in a 50-60% increase in the price of the cabinetry.

which is a huge difference.

the remodeler that we're working with recommended us to one cabinet person who deals with Shiloh cabinetry. Shiloh--at least when sold through this vendor--does not charge extra for ANY of those elements. They're all included in the base price, as are all door styles and edge treatments.

The cabinet guy told us that it is usually not the cabinet maker who charges extra for these finish details, but the vendor, who sees it as an opportunity to make more money off the deal by adding on 'options'.

this seemed very surprising to me, as it seems like an industry standard that all of these details add on to the price.

anyone else have any experience or info about this? we're most likely going to go with the shiloh cabinets, especially because this dealer has a ton of experience modifying them and is willing to do all sorts of customizations for us with very little extra charge.

Comments (19)

• igloochic
    16 years ago

I'd disagree with your cabinet guy, from our experience. I will say that it does depend on the quality of your cabinets. For instance, with Karman, all of the things you list were upcharges. Also things like matching interiors, bead trim, etc., all upcharges. With Omega Custom...there are no upcharges for this stuff at all (they just charge a lot up front LOL).

Those things should be upcharges. If I want natural cherry, I don't want to have the cost of your glazed and painted cabinets fractioned into my costs. If I want shaker or slab doors, I don't want to pay for your highly carved and distressed doors either. Even with Omega, door styles significantly make a difference in the price (and why not...one takes more time to make so it should cost more). My family bathroom cabinets are rediculously expensive because I fell in love with a distressed, highly carved and glazed door :) But for the kitchen....shakers worked well and were much cheaper.

We interviewed several cabinet companies and private makers. All charged according to the work involved in making the cabinets (ie more for some than others, more for paint than stain, etc). That's really a fair way to charge in my opinion.

• berryberry
    16 years ago

I agree - your cabinet guy is wrong. Its pretty much industry standard, with a few exceptions, to have upcharges on items which take more work, cost more to produce, etc.

That said, Shiloh is one cabinet we looked at and they don't. They are a nice cabinet line however they didn't have a door that we really liked. We ended up going with a different brand - and while we paid for the upcharges, it really wasn't a whole lot more than what Shiloh would have cost. my point being while there is no upcharge by Shiloh, their base cost is likely higher

• try_hard
    16 years ago

My friend recently built a house and paid $1200 extra to have her kitchen cabinets glazed. She happened to be at the job site while the glazing happened and was shocked to see that it was just one woman who wiped some stuff on the cabinets and wiped it off. She was finished in 2 hours. My friend was a little annoyed that she had paid $1200 for something she realized she could do herself.

try_hard

• kelleg69
    16 years ago

My builder really likes Shiloh and has found that it is reasonably priced cabinet for good quality. I haven't begun to spec out my cabinets yet or decide what features I want, etc. so I haven't looked into them too much, but I will attest that our builder likes them.

I kind of agree that the fact that don't charge for a glaze is a bummer for those who don't want a glaze. We should get a discount :)

• sue_ct
    16 years ago

Sorry, I agree with the OP, at least partially. If it only takes one woman 2 hrs to do an entire kitchens worth of cabinets with a glaze, how much of an up charge could that really require? Add up all the time it took to manufacture all those cabinets, and determine what percentage went into the glazing. That percentage of an up charge would be fair. My guess is that it would not be worth the accounting costs to do it! EVERYONE wants a discount. Me included. But I certainly don't think Shiloh increases other cabinet prices significantly to cover a legitimate 50-60% increase in costs associate with glazed cabinets. Not unless they are employing Michaelangelo to do the glazing! :)

I do agree that painting, if the same quality of wood is used underneath, might cost more, but not as much as many charge. Most places do not charge a lot more for stained vs. natural cherry, and it takes more time and materials.

I also agree that doors that more routing and fancy woodwood that is time consuming, should also cost more.

But not glazing. It is a fast and cheap process.

Sue

• housecrazy1970
    16 years ago

I just had my Shiloh cabinets delivered!!! Very Nice cab!! HEAVY construction. All wood, no particle board. Dovetailed everywhere draws. No plastic cheap stapled plastic braces. The finish was VERRRRY well done. They where more expensive than some of the other cab I looked at but if you like a fancy finish and detailed cabinety than the price winds up being very reasonable. The cherry w/ black glaze is gorgouse

• teched
    16 years ago

I just ordered Shilo. The upcharges were only for the dovetail drawers and the paint finish. MY KD gave me a book with prices and everything (retail--my GC gets a discount, but it gave me an idea). The KD didn't know there was no upcharge for distressing or glaze, but it's in "the book" that it's all included. There are different charges for different woods, but much is included in the cost of the cabinet.

BTW, Shilo does a terrible job at glazing, so free glaze may not be all it's cracked up to be.

• edlakin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

housecrazy, do you have any pictures of your new cabinets? we're pretty close to ordering cherry with black glaze for a part of our project.

teched, why do you say they do a terrible job at glazing? what do you look for? i'm not sure i'd know a terrible job from a great job if i saw one.

oh, and what type of wood and paint color did you get? are you happy with your shiloh cabinets other than the glaze?

• berryberry
    16 years ago

teched - I agree, while I did think Shiloh was well made, I was not impressed with their glazing. Between that and a lack of a doorstyle that we found attractive led us in another direction.

• berryberry
    16 years ago

oops - let me clarify that before some shiloh owner takes offense - they do have door styles that would fit certain people's needs. however, for us, nothing really worked and the other 2 companies we looked at had better door options for the look we were trying to achieve

• teched
    16 years ago

edlakin--I should have been more specific. Sorry about that. We ordered the ivory paint finish with all the distressing, etc. All the painted samples looked like they had Hershey's syrup spilled down the front and the maid forgot her glasses. The look was really consistent, so one would think it was intentional. The KD said she thinks in the painted cabinets, the only glaze that looks right is the Pewter, but I personally do not care for that color glaze. I did see maple with a brownish glaze in their showroom and it looked very professional.

Berryberry--the door style was an issue for us too. Esp. when the price crept up to nearly $30K. I asked the KD if we should just consider custom since the price was so high to get the look we wanted. That's when she gave me the book and I discovered how much I could alter the door style. Not only was there not a charge for all that alteration, a lot of things I did made the cabinets cheaper. In fact, our final price was 35% less and I ended up with a much more attractive look than I thought I was going to have. I wish they had made those options clear from the start.

• edlakin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

interesting. we've already looked at samples with the specific paint color/glaze/distressing that we're interested and did not have that issue with the glaze.

we did, however, find their paint colors to be fairly limiting. we're interested in a green and they only have a fairly dark green and a very very light green. we want something in the middle.

has anyone had experience with 'lightening' a paint color by using a glaze? we looked at the darker green with a mocha glaze, but found it too dark. we're thinking if we used a lighter brown glaze or even the pewter (which looks light brown in their catalog even though you'd assume it would be gray) that might serve to lighten the overall color?

also, would adding sand-thru serve to lighten the overall color? we're using maple, so seeing that light colored wood through would serve to lighten the overall color, wouldn't it?

and thanks for the info, shiloh owners! it's great to have some concrete experiences to reference here.

• kbmas0n
    16 years ago

We are going with Shiloh, but painted white maple with no glaze. My MIL has the Hazelnut Maple with the Mocha glaze and they are gorgeous! The glaze looks beautiful. Shiloh is really popular in our area and the construction is great.

Our close friends just went with the medium maple with the mocha glaze and it looks great too!

• berryberry
    16 years ago

teched - thanks. Thats interesting. The Shiloh dealer / KD we dealt with never mentioned the possibility of altering the door. Basically said what they have on display is what is available. They also sold Omega - and from one of their display kitchens (with Omega cabinets) they knew the look we were interested in.

• edlakin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

it's probably one of those things where it depends on who you're dealing with and how much they either know or are willing to be bothered.

our cabinet guy told us that they can mix/match any door style with any edge treatment, any finish, glaze, distressing--all for the same price. only variable is wood species and extra features (pull outs, panels, full extention, etc)

• housecrazy1970
    16 years ago

My cabs are not yet installed but i have unwrapped a few. The glazing looks great. I cant speak about the painted glazed finish, but the cherry black glaze appears to be exceptionally well done. I can post a picture this weekend. I found these cabinets to be extremely well made.

• edlakin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

that's good to hear. we're nearly ready to order these cabinets, and we're getting cherry with a black glaze for the island and a bank of buffet cabinets we're doing in our eating area.

what door style did you get? please do post a picture when you can, housecrazy! i'll be interested to see them.

• ksfaustin
    16 years ago

I'll chime in on this. Like Housecrazy, I have Shiloh cabinets in cherry wood, the "red" stain, and black glazing. I don't think the glazing is bad on mine, although your mileage may certainly vary, especially on painted cabinets. The store I purchased my cabinets from had a display with the red cherry and black glazing, so I knew exactly what to expect.

I priced virtually the same kitchen in Kraftmaid from Lowe's, and with the glaze, the prices were almost identical. But I thought the Shiloh cabinets were better quality - all wood construction vs. MDF boxes, reversed-panel recessed doors vs. the very thin center panels on the KM. On some of the upgrades, Shiloh actually had a price advantage. For example, the upgrade the Blumotion soft-close feature was $40 per drawer on KM and only $8 per drawer on Shiloh. I have 23 drawers, so that was significant. (I also had Mariposatracionera's bad KM experience from a couple of years ago ringing in my ears - though I know that others on this forum have had good KM experiences.)