Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
storyofmylife_gw

Any downsides to having 2 cm thick soapstone counters?

storyofmylife
11 years ago

Hi everyone

We were set to go with brushed absolute black granite countertops, when our builder got a quote from the fabricator for soapstone that was unbelievable... (so unbelievable that even the salesperson at the stone place didn't believe it and we had the fabricator confirmed his pricing again).

At the stone warehouse, we saw two different types of soapstone - a grey Barroca soapstone and a dark green soapstone. The dark green soapstone is the one we like (as well as being harder than the grey), and comes in two thicknesses - 2 cm and 3 cm but we only saw 2 cm at the warehouse though).

What are the downsides for using 2 cm soapstone for the kitchen counters? We really have no overhangs in the kitchen so the thinner slab isn't an issue there.

One potential downside is that with a 2 cm slab, we'll have to laminate the edge, which adds some cost (whether that total cost is higher than a 3 cm slab without the need to laminate, I don't know).

I have always seen 3 cm soapstone and this is the first time I've even seen 2 cm soapstone (the other soapstone, the grey Barroca soapstone, was only available in 3 cm size, probably because it was a less hard stone).

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Comments (5)