Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting Kitchen Cabinets

Posted by efghi (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 17, 14 at 14:24

Hi, I have vineer kitchen cabinets that are about 25 years old. If I am going to sand the cabinets down, do I still need to clean them with TSP? Wouldn't all the grime dirt get removed by sanding?

I also read on a few sites that if I am to use oil primer, then I should not use TSP to clean?

I would like to use the BM's Natura line for priming and painting. Has anyone else done this and have had issues with the results? I love BM's colors and would like to stick to BM's lines that are low/zero VOC.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting Kitchen Cabinets

I haven't painted cabinets, but I would say to definitely clean them before sanding. If you want the paint to stick, surface prep is the most important thing. Also the least fun to do, but its important. Scrub them well, rinse well and dry with clean rags. Sand, then wipe down with a tack rag, then a clean rag with something like denatured alcohol? Not sure about that part, I used denatured alcohol to prep my cabinets for refacing veneer, someone who's painted cabinets could tell you if that is correct for paint prep. THe denatured alcohol removes any oils or residue. Let dry well, then paint. Surface prep is tedious for sure, but so important if you want paint to adhere well. I would also suggest a good primer, then a good paint. I haven't stated painting my bath cabinets yet, but I have read on this site that BM cabinet coat is a good choice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here