Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
neoggb

Two rooms with common wall- how to paint?

neoggb
16 years ago

My kitchen and dining room share a wall. There is an arched doorway separating the rooms but one wall is continuous from the kitchen through to the dining room. The previous owners had painted the kitchen one color and the dining room another complementary color. There is nothing separating the colors. I am repainting the kitchen Benjamin Moore Windham Cream (HC-6) and

would like to paint the dining room Sherwood Green (HC-118). It will not be easy abutting the two colors, making a perfect line between them, plus, will this look right, having a dark and lighter color next to each other? The previous colors were white and off white, so it was not so obvious. Does anyone have experience with a situation like this or can someone visualize it and advise? Would it be better to paint the dining room and the kithcen the same color(Windham Cream) and add a chair rail to the part of the room that is not in common and the darker green color to the bottom of the chair rail? Thanks for any advice you have to offer.

Comments (9)

• vwhippiechick
    16 years ago

Sounds like we have the very same situation. Before our remodel we had wallpaper in the kitchen so getting a sharp line at the dining room wall was easy. But now we have painted the kitchen "Cafe" and the dining room is a woodsy green (can't remember the name). I painted the inside of the arch the kitchen color and I am happy with how they come together. See what you think in the pix.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• divamum
    16 years ago

Goodness me, hippiechick - is it possible you have THE most gorgeous house I've ever seen? I swear, I could move in tomorrow. You already know I love your kitchen and your dining room table, but seeing it all together....gaWOW. Will you adopt me?!

• vwhippiechick
    16 years ago

Thanks Divamum. O.T. but . . . Though you can't see it in the pix, I have a small grand piano in the dining room so you can sing for me after you get settled in :-) It won't be your usual audience of thousands but it will be a very appreciative audience!!

• neoggb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I love your house also. What great decorating. Yes, we have similar styles of architecture but the arched doorway is only along two sides and the wall for the kitchen and dining room are continuous.

Can you tell me what brand of paint the green in the dining room is even if you can not remember the name of the color so I can search it out? I love it. Also, from where did you purchase the dining room light fixture? Thanks so much for sharing your pics.

• vwhippiechick
    16 years ago

Found the paint can in the garage. It is Ralph Lauren "Organic Green" matte finish. I bought the dining room light fixture at Lowes several years ago. Good luck with your painting!! Picking out paint colors is my LEAST favorite thing to do.

• mysterymachine
    16 years ago

Is there anyway you can fake a stub wall out only a couple inches (might be too big of a hassle for what you are trying to do) or use some trim or something? (we put trim around around a doorway to avoid this issue).

I can empathise - we had a problem with our remodel only it was worse becuase every room shared one wall or the other and they were wallpapered! So we ended up having to "unpaper" the whole house when we wanted just to tackle the kitchen and dining in the remodel - what a project it ended up being.

• mrslimestone
    16 years ago

Sorry this is off topic but I love your home vwhippiechick. You've done a great job of making a country decor seem both warm and contemporary.

• flatcoat2004
    16 years ago

I was wondering exactly the same thing about a week ago. My contractor has replaced several cased openings with arched openings, and bullnosed the drywall corners, so there was no clear place that I could see to transition paint colors. I was thinking I had to paint the entire interior a single colour !

Then his painting guys showed me how they tape off the edge of the bullnose, and it really looks fantastic. It is quite subtle (if the colours are reasonably close to each other) and accentuates the beautiful opening ...

This transition is from BM Elemental to BM Refined. The chair rail isn't finished in trim paint yet.

This is Elemental to Honeymoon ...

The edges look slightly uneven but this is a closeup ... it looks fabulous and subtle in the rooms.

• cc1977
    10 years ago

I am remodeling an old house. We painted the hall and then decided to gut the kitchen. I'm not sure what to do with the wall that continues down one wall of the kitchen. The chair rain will end at the door casing (not there yet). I don't want to repaint the hall...I love it, but don't want to have this color in my kitchen. I want to do a different color in the kitchen. Do I really have to repaint the entire hall? Ideas???

Please excuse the horrible mess in these pics...everything is getting redone floor to ceiling.