Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hopeb1

Now that I have X I would never go back to X

hopeb1
16 years ago

There was a thread on this a while back and it has fallen off. Does anyone have this copied, or can we start a new one?

Thanks!

Comments (40)

• cpang74
    16 years ago

Now that I have a slide in range I would never go back to free standing! I love the clean built in look!

• november
    16 years ago

Now that I have a big window in the kitchen, I could never go back to a teeny one. Now that I (finally) have a gas rangetop, I wouldn't go back to electric.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

Now that I have a gooseneck faucet with pull down spray and a soap dispenser, I could never go back to a side spray.

• fern76
    16 years ago

Now that I have pantries with pullouts, I won't go back to deep pantries without...

Now that I have supersusans, I won't go back to blind cabinets...

• glad
    16 years ago

now that i have an undermount sink, i'd never have a self-rimming one. in addition to easier to keep clean, you pick up a lot of usable counter space not having all that metal sitting on your counters!

• saskatchewan_girl
    16 years ago

Now that I have a smoothtop range I'd never go back to coil!! Same for the large size of my fridge. Oh and my single handle pullout spray faucet and undermount sink are here to STAY!

• bethv
    16 years ago

Now that I have a micro/convection combo I would never go back to just a microwave. It's so easy to quickly heat up oven things because the oven heats up fast and when I use the combo cook, frozen pot pies are really fast (20 mins)!

• flatcoat2004
    16 years ago

Now that I have a kitchen, I would never go back to not having one.

No wait ... I *still* don't have one !

But seriously ... now that I have a skylight and French doors to the deck, they would be hard to give up. They turned a dank, dark, creepy place into a bright and cheerful space.

• amcofar
    16 years ago

Single-bowl sink . . . double bowl!

• salonv
    16 years ago

interesting amcofar- so you prefer a single bowl sink. which one do you have?

• determined_sammie
    16 years ago

LOVE my induction cooktop...instead of my smooothtop electric!

Would never go back to a double bowl sink now that I have my single bowl, deep one!

I had just enough space to put a 12" deep pantry on the one side of my kitchen - it's perfect for canned and boxed foods! Nothing gets lost! I'll never go back to a regular deep pantry again!

• zelmar
    16 years ago

dish drawers (dish washer).......never go back to a regular dw......unless I end up with lots of service calls but only one minor mishap in almost 3 years.

prep sink........never go back to one sink.

• rockyperko
    16 years ago

single bowl sink (Franke Orca)...double bowl sink

induction cooktop ..... coil cooktop

wolf single wall oven ...... frigidare double wall oven

grohe faucets ....... whatever we had before

braun hood ...... ceiling exhaust fan

• pbrisjar
    16 years ago

determined_sammie - I know what you mean about the pantry. Growing up we had a huge expanse of shallow-ish pantry. In my last few houses we had walk-in pantries. I much prefer the shallow ones and we're planning on a really big one for our remodel. I can't wait!

And to keep with the thread:

Now that I have my huge 10" deep double sinks, I'd never go back to my tiny 7" deep ones!

• hollister2
    16 years ago

Now that I have an Instant Hot, I'll never go back to a teakettle (except for show).

• muscat
    16 years ago

Great layout.........fridge door that could not open fully

Gas range........old electric cooktop

Instahot........tea kettle

nice lighting........single fluorescent fixture in the center of the room

I could go on and on........hood compared to bathroom fan, mahogany cabinets with lots of drawers compared to beat up old ash cabinets.....but it is those functional things above that make me smile every day.

• try_hard
    16 years ago

bethv: I have to quickly hijack this thread. When you cook frozen pot pies in the convection micro is the crust soggy or crispy? I usually cook mine in the oven so that the crust isn't soggy. I have never used a convec micro but am having one put in my new house.

try_hard

• vwhippiechick
    16 years ago

Now that I have my soapstone counters I hope I never have to go back to pink laminate.
    And now that I have my Tapmaster I don't want to go back to no tapmaster. I love it!

• clancyspad
    16 years ago

Now that I have a pull-out trash can I would never go back to a moveable trash can placed under the sink.

Now that I have vertical storage above the refrigerator I would never go back to horizontal storage for baking pans etc.
    Now that I have granite I would never go back to laminate.
    Now that I have pull outs in all of my pantry cabinets, island cabinets and storage cabinets I would never go back to shelves without.
    Now that I have cabinets flush with the microwave I would never go back to shallower depth cabinets.
    Now that my refrigerator is in a box wood frame I would never go back to an exposed refrigerator.

• sherilynn
    16 years ago

Now that I have 95% drawer bases, I would never go back to 100% base cabinets.

Now that I have a single 30" wide x 12"D sink, I would never go back to anything smaller. :)

Now that I have a trash compactor, I hope to never go back to anything I've had before.

Now that I have two undercounter refrigerators and ice maker, I hope I never go back to door only ice.

Now that I have an Advantium 220v Speed Cooker/Micro Oven that can cook 4 times faster than a regular microwave and brown crusts, cook cookies and baked potatoes perfectly, I hope to never have a lesser micro-oven.

Now that I have dish drawers, I hope to never go back to the other types I have owned.

Now that I have windows above my upper cabinets, I hope to always have a home with natural light coming in like this because it's a happier kitchen.

Now that I have a walk-in pantry with a counter to hold all electric appliances I don't want sitting out in the kitchen, yet they are ready to use on a dime, I am thrilled. I hope to never have less.

Now that I've found Garden Web, I hope to never build another kitchen without all of you great people willing to share your trials, tribulations, wisdom, and friendship. I wish I knew you were here before I built this kitchen.

• susan4664
    16 years ago

Now that I have a convection/microwave combo, I'd never go back to a traditional microwave oven.

Bethv-The convection setting allows for crispness the same way a regular oven does - in less time! Just be sure to use the convection bake feature, not the convection/microwave combination bake.

• dixielogs
    16 years ago

LOve my Orca sink, love my Kohler ProMaster faucet, love my DishDrawers, love my microwave drawer, love my suspended barstools, love 6 burners, love the JA steam assist oven...

heck, I love it all!

• dd70
    16 years ago

pull out trash.....can in kitchen
    pantry with pullouts......storing food in wall cabinet
    slide in range.....freestanding
    hardwood floors.....laminate
    corner super susan.......blind corner
    no soffits.........soffits
    built in M/W....counter top model
    a functioning (well almost) kitchen.........another remodel

• westsider40
    16 years ago

Dixielogs, not to hijack, but what are suspended barstools? Thanks Beverly

• sherilynn
    16 years ago

Here's a link to some for view.

Here is a link that might be useful: suspended bar stools

• rmlanza
    16 years ago

ditto on amcofar's...but to add to that, now that I have a single SILIGRANIT sink, I'd never go back to a double STAINLESS STEEL one. I absolutely hated my ss sink!

• dixielogs
    16 years ago

Sherilyn posted the ones we used. we did a row of herbs for chairs and made sure to put them in the order of the old song...parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme

• bobm91001
    16 years ago

I've see several messages about pantries with pullouts.... Anyone have some pictures to share? Is it one big pullout or separate shelves? How wide/deep/tall?

• Fori
    16 years ago

dishdrawers---normal DW.

(Actually I DID have to go back when I moved but chose to replace the new DW instead of doing a minor repair and suddenly my remodel isn't quite so pressing...)

• zelmar
    16 years ago

bobm91001, I have 2 pantries with combinations of drawers and pull out shelves. The first pantry is 36" wide. I find the drawers handy for things that don't stay on shelves well, the bottom drawer is used for pastas and the middle drawer is used for snacks (bags of chips, trail mix, granola bars, marshmallows...). The 2nd cabinet, 24" wide, is used for baking items. Both cabinets are 24" deep and 8' tall.

{{gwi:1574534}} {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}} {{!gwi}}

• beatrix_in_canada
    16 years ago

+ Pull-out pantry -> never go back to fixed or roll-out shelves

+ Induction -> never go back to coils or gas

+ Drawers in base cabinets -> never go back to fixed shelves in base cabinets, especially for my pots and pans

+ Insta-Hot -> never go back to kettle

+ Cabinet Uppers with glass doors on one wall -> too much wood with all wooden doors

Here's a pic of my pantry:
    {{!gwi}}

• amck2
    16 years ago

Large single sink(soapstone) ............double stainless

Dish drawers.................stacking dishes in upper cupboards

Stuffing food/canned goods in cabinets......walk-in pantry

Over the range microhood.....built-in MW and outside venting hood

• bobm91001
    16 years ago

Zelmar, thanks! Your cabinets are great! I like the drawers underneath. Our designer has reserved a 48" area for the pantry, this gives me great ideas on how to fill it!

Beatrix, that's more what I expected to see. I take it you would prefer yours over zelmar's?

• lynninnewmexico
    16 years ago

Now that I have my . . .
    ~ Vinnata BN pull-down faucet . . . side spray SS faucet
    ~ KA French door fridge w cabinet cover doors . . . SS fridge
    ~ MW drawer . . . reg. MW
    ~ SuperSusan & Pull-out Pantry . . .blind cabs
    ~ ***** Blanco Silgranit Sink in anthracite . . . SS or white sink, ever ever ever!

• boxiebabe
    16 years ago

I am very pleased to see that so many of you appreciate dish drawers as opposed to dishes in a cabinet. I opted for a dish drawer - because I ran out of upper cabinet space when I chose to have 3 glass front doors. My dishes aren't fancy schmancy and I didn't feel that they warranted being behind glass, as if they were a show piece. hehe
    I am also pleased that Lynn likes her Blanco silgranit sink in anthracite - that is just what we chose and have had a couple of doubts on it; mostly doubts placed in my brain by my plumber who is not a fan of them.

Great thread! I'm sure I'll be adding to it, once my kitchen is done and I've lived in it awhile.

By the way - TGIF!
    ---Boxie

• friedajune
    16 years ago

Another one with a large rectangular single bowl sink, would never go back to D-shaped double bowl.

Now that I have wood floors, would never go back to tile (ugh the grout, and the icy winter mornings).

Now that I have a hood, would never go back to OTR MW.

Now that I have clear glass cabinet doors without mullions, would never go back to the glass doors with mullions - the look of the shelves that never quite lined up with the mullions was a constant annoyance.

• c9pilot
    16 years ago

Now that I have 30" deep base cabinets I would never go back to standard 24" cabinets.
    I love, love, love my 32" deep countertops!
    I love the extra storage in every drawer & pullout.
    I love that none of my appliances "stick out" for the look I wanted in my kitchen.

• beatrix_in_canada
    16 years ago

bobm91001

yes, I prefer my pantry style over the one zelmar showed. I had a few pull-out shelves in my old kitchen and really didn't like them. I'd always bang them against the doors which looked really scratched.

With the pull-out pantry you also have the choice of going higher. You can't have pull-out shelves above a certain height or you risk smashing them into your head ... but won't have this kind of restriction with the whole pantry coming out.

• zelmar
    16 years ago

Actually, I wish I had used roll outs for the upper shelves. I guess rather than let them clonk me in the head, I would stand to the side when I pulled them out (much like standing on the side to access any of the shelves of the entire-pantry-pullout.)

I love the look of the systems where the entire pantry pulls out. I thought about putting one in our mudroom or laundry room but in each case, I decided the function of individual roll/pull outs suited my needs better.

One of the best advantages of the individual roll outs is that no dead space has to be left between shelves for accessing items, as long as the glides are full-extension. Vertical dead space is necessary in a fixed shelf system in order to have reach room for items in the back--it's also required in the whole pantry pull out system due to the ceiling created by the shelf above that pulls out unnecessarily. Basically, it's a fixed shelf system with access from 2 sides rather than the front. I need to make use of every inch of our pantry space.

With the individually controlled shelves, I like gaining the advantage of having no front panel blocking the front view. Also, for the lower shelves and drawers, I like getting a view from overhead. It seems when all the shelves pull out together, the overhead view would be restricted. And for me, the combination of drawers and doors works well because I often unload groceries from my car and plop the bags on the floor in front of the pantry. I still have access to the entire pantry except for the lowest drawer. A pull-out pantry or a pantry with full-height doors wouldn't allow me to do this.

After almost 3 years of use, our doors still look great. If they did have scratches, they would be on the inside and I would feel it was a small price to pay for such a highly functional space. I don't think I would enjoy pulling out my entire pantry just to grab on jar or can.

Most of the threads above refer to "pantry with pull-outs" rather than "pull-out pantry."

• elljays
    16 years ago

Now that I have lower drawers for pots and pans, I would never go back to storing them in cabinets.
    Now that I have a walk-in pantry, I'd never go back to storing all of that stuff in cabinets.
    Now that I have an Advantium 240, I'd never go back to a regular microwave.
    Now that I have a double bowl sink plus a prep sink, I'd never go back to my single bowl sink.
    Now that I have good undercabinet lighting, I'd never go back to having none.
    Now that I have a kitchen desk area, I'd never go back to having that stuff on the kitchen table or counter.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths