Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lalithar

What kind of backsplash that goes with SS

lalithar
12 years ago

Need suggestions please. I have to figure out the backsplash soon. What kind of backsplash goes with Belvedere soapstone counters? The floor will likely be terracotta color pavers and the ceiling is wood panels. The cabinets will be painted. Something pale as most of my light is filtered light through big skylights and windows.

Comments (8)

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

I think I'd wait to choose the backsplash until the cabinets are painted. It would be a shame to choose a backsplash that did not go well with the cabinets, since they will be next to each other.
    Renee

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

That stone is gorgeous.

When you say pale painted cabs? Pale what? Pale peach,
    beige, brown, white, gray, green.... Any specific color?
    Do you want something to go with the terracotta floors?
    What style is the kitchen? Spanish colonial? Transitional?
    English Country? Contempoary?

I have a plethora of tile ideas. Let me know what you
    are looking for.
    ~boxer

• lalithar
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Boxer..
    The house is a spanish ranch with Adobe bricks. The kitchen is currently rustic and will hopefully end up a happy marriage with rustic elements like rough cut exposed beams, wood t&g plank ceiling, and classic elements like large (57" red hood with polished stainless bands).

I was originally thinking warm white cabinets. DH still likes that idea.. Now I feel I need some color..so inspired by an earlier post where I got a lot of pale painted cabinet ideas.. I am thinking pale green with yellow tones (as opposed to gray tones). The light in the kitchen is filtered with windows, and french doors and 2 big skylights.

see rustic planks and beams on the ceiling

the courtyard from the kitchen

DH liked the idea of carrera slab as a BS.. I am not sure how cost effective that would be. It would kind of have the mirror opposite look of the soapstone I think.. Creamy with smoky veins

Thanks again for inspiring us visually. I am just amazed at how you have organized all this info..

Hosenemesis: I agree about waiting till the counters are on.. but I am not good at the visual elements of the kitchen and really wanted to filter my choices. The tile stores make me feel small and stupid :)

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

We have been hearing that complaint a lot about the tile stores, lalitha. You are in very good company!

Your home is my favorite style. I love the turquoise doors.

If you give us more information people will all chime in with ideas.

For instance, is any of that brick coming out to make way for new cabinets, or are you going to paint the existing cabinets and keep all of the brick?

If the brick is staying, can it be painted or whitewashed, or is it sacred?

Are you happy with the current layout, and just looking to redecorate the kitchen, or is it going to be a full remodel?

What kinds of appliances do you have, or will you buy new ones?

You have so much texture already, that these issues will help people give you good color and backsplash choices.

Renee

• lalithar
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Renee, The kitchen is a total gut and redo except for the wood ceiling and the structural Adobe bricks. Sorry, the pics are old from before the demo. The layout is done and the cabinets ordered. See current kitchen after demo. It will basicaly be a galley. Your are right about the texture.. that is my big concern. I have the texture on the wood plank ceiling and 1 wall is adobe brick. I have to choose if I am doing backsplash on that or leaving as is.. I am currently thinking I will do backsplash as it feels dark now.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Wow! It does seem a shame to cover up that adobe, but if it's too dark it's too dark.

So you have soapstone with a lot of gray, and probably terracotta pavers and a red hood. Cabinets painted either white or a pale color, maybe green.

I like the rustic look very much and would be inclined to stay with it. Have you considered Mexican hand-painted tile for the backsplash? Perhaps you could find one that would tie the terracotta floor and the red hood together. If you go in that direction, off-white cabinets would look very pretty. Have you chosen your cabinets yet?

Renee

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Here's a pretty kitchen in some of the colors you like.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spanish colonial kitchen

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

So many beautiful features in this space. I love the adobe
    bricks and I love even more the ceiling. Gorgeous.
    A rustic yet elegant space.
    Here are some visual ideas. Not backsplash specific but more
    about the space and ideas. Others have used brick,
    terracotta and pale cabinets with wood ceilings too.
    Maybe these ideas can help you with the general plan
    and from there we can see what you love specifically.
    ~boxer

Spanish Colonial kitchen with a bit of brick. Not with
    rustic elements. But pretty none the less.

A mix of textures with color in the range

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio