Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mustangs81

Full Granite Backsplash 2cm or 3 cm?

mustangs81
13 years ago

I'm replacing the 4" backsplash with a full backsplash. The granite company sent the layout and measurements for the template for me to review. When I questioned why 3cm instead of 2cm, he said 3cm thickness was the norm.

I was very surprised to hear this and thought I'd reach out to those who have full backsplashes for input.

I would appreciate any experience you have had with a project like this.

Thanks

Comments (8)

• Fori
    13 years ago

It won't matter for a backsplash (and not necessarily for a countertop either). In some parts of the country for some reason, one size is much more commonly available. What I recommend is finding a particular slab you like and not worry about the thickness.

• weissman
    13 years ago

I'm guessing they don't have 2 cm in stock. When I got my 3 cm granite countertop and asked about a backsplash they told me they would use 2 cm. I ended up going with matching granite tiles for the backsplash, which was significantly less expensive.

• 2golftoday
    13 years ago

We have a full granite backsplash that is 3 cm. It looks really nice. I had such a hard time deciding on tile. This way I don't have to worry if it matches or not :)

• momto4kids
    13 years ago

HI Mustangs! :)
    I had a full-height granite backsplash in my former home. It was 3cm...only because that's what they carried. If it's the same as your counters, at least it'll come from the same slab(s) and you'll know it matches.

A caution...for some reason, my builder insisted the backsplash go in before my appliance garage, because that's what he "normally" does. Due to the unplanned thickness (most people before me had 4" backsplashes and somehow the appliance garage measurements were "standard"), the sides of my garage had to be cut down to fit flush with the front of the upper cabinet. The extra thickness inside the garage reduced the amount of space I had.

Of course the shortfall of space meant my perfectly planned/measured, well-thought out toaster oven purchased specifically for that space...would NOT FIT!! Grrrr....I was so mad!!! Lesson learned. Put in appliance garage before backsplash...regardless of what builder "normally" does. Haha!

• mustangs81
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Waving to Momto4kids!!

Thanks for the responses, it makes me feel better.

The guy did say that "here in Florida it isn't unusual to use 3cm". Who would have thought it was a regional thing.

Weissman, I tried with the tiles and it was more costly because of the shipping. I checked county wide and no Verde Butterfly locally. I wanted the tiles as I thought installation would be easier because the cabinets and under cab lighting are already in place.

One of the problems is that the cabinets and granite countertop were installed years ago so the full backsplash will be replacing and the 4" backsplash.

• kaismom
    13 years ago

mustangs....
    I don't want to burst your bubble, but have you looked at the new granite slab with the existing slab. Ypu have to put the slab next to each other to see how they look together. If you are trying to go for the matching look, the differences may make them look not so good together.

When the full granite slabs as backsplash look best is when the veins match from the counter slab to the backsplash slab, IMHO...

• pharaoh
    13 years ago

3cm is a waste of material for backsplashes or shower surrounds. For that matter even 2 cm is a waste.

I have started seeing 1cm slabs (delicate to handle) that are used to wall applications.

The other new innovation is to glue 1/4" stone to an aluminum honeycomb substructure. It will arrive in the US soon, I hope!

• mustangs81
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kaismom, The template maker took one on my 4" back splashes to the shop to match the slab. Thanks

Pharaoh, "waste of material" that was my thought exactly. Plus it seems that it would be easier to install in my situation where the granite counter top and cabs are already in.

Thanks all!