Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I put a 9" cabinet in this corner?

Posted by front (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 19, 14 at 14:12

I'm referring to the corner next to the refrigerator. Currently, I have it as a 12 three drawer and then a 33"x33" corner easy reach. The corner will be where I put all of my tall bottles of oil, vinegar, etc. (I shop at warehouse clubs sometimes). I'm not sure that a 12 in cabinet is necessary, since I have a 15" on one side of the range. What are your opinions on 12" all drawer cabinets?

I am thinking about putting in a 9" full door cabinet and then going with an asymmetrical corner (36x33). This will give me more room in the corner cabinet. The 9" cabinet will be used to store baking sheets, cutting boards, etc. What do you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I put a 9" cabinet in this corner?

I have a 9" full door for baking cutting boards and trays and it works well for my needs. I think if I had more options I may have done something different, but it actually serves me well as is.

o

I also have a 9" full door cabinet that stores almost all my flat baking sheets and cutting board. It works well for our needs.

o

I also have a 9" lower for large trays, etc. that works well for me.

I also have two 9" floor to ceiling cabinets. One has a pullout in the large lower section that I really like for pantry items and the other is more in the laundry area and holds a broom closet in the lower section and the AC filters in the top portion.

o

I was happy to get rid of my 12" base cabinet. It had a shelf, so stuff was divided top and bottom. But I found that things got hung up on each other or migrated to the back of the 24" cabinet. But it's better than a 12" drawer yada yada yada.

o

I also have a 9 inch full door, works well for cutting boards, trays, etc. I wish someone made a shelf for the top portion though, wasted space that could be used for foil, wrap, parchment paper, wax paper, etc. I guess I am just going to have my husband rig something up for me.

o

Add my vote to 9" door over 12" drawers (I had those, they were pretty worthless). My 9" base cab contains cookie sheets, pizza stones, and cutting boards.

My 9" has a drawer above, which is also mostly useless (though I did find a use for mine). I wish I had thought of a shelf behind the door instead.

o

Thank you

o

You're spot on regarding the other benefit of the 9" cabinet. The exposed opening on the asymmetrical 36x33 EZ reach corner lends to far more accessibility over the standard 33x33.

HTH, tmy

o

In my 9" cabinet, I have my cutting boards, trays, pizza pans. I put a "divider" behind them, (shortening the depth by 3") so I wasn't fishing for something that had fallen to the back.I moved the shelf up to 15" from the cabinet floor (instead of the standard 12") and it holds my oils and vinegars.

o

Thank you everyone for letting me know that you love your 9" cabinet!

o

Fishy - I like the idea of a shelf up top. If you do rig something please post. I'd be interested to see how and what you do. Thx.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here