Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sageabf_gw

No upper cabinets? Where do you put your cups/glasses?

sageabf
13 years ago

Hi! Who has no upper cabinets? We are in the process of building, and I'm trying to figure out where I'll put our drinking glasses? The specialty (wine, beer, etc) will go in the butler pantry upper cabinets, but I can't figure out where I should put the regular drinking glasses. We are having open shelving on the sink and range walls, so that's an idea, but I just don't think the sippy cups will look so good in the open!

Comments (18)

• homey_bird
    13 years ago

Others on this forum have much more well thought out, planned kitchens with no uppers so they'll be able to tell you much more useful advice.

For me, I have virtually no uppers except a large pantry cabinet. I put all my cups, glasses, plates, bowls in lower drawers. Once you get used to the arrangement, it does not seem all that weird! :-)

I do not have shelves but I'd not put them on shelves even if I had them. One, they will collect dust and grime too fast and two, as you mentioned, they do not look all that great.

Hope this helps.

• jessicaml
    13 years ago

I've seen plenty of pictures of open shelves in kitchens with cups, glasses, plates and bowls lined up on the shelves (nicely matched in plain glass, white, or an accent color of course). Sippy cups, however, probably belong in a drawer, or in an organizer basket in a lower cabinet.

• ae2ga
    13 years ago

I haven't remodeled yet, but I don't use the upper cabinets because they're too high. I put drinking glasses and other dishes on the first shelf. I have a drawer for sippy cups and other grandchildren eating supplies in a drawer. My grandsons really like that they have their own drawer and can get what they need without having to ask for help to reach.

• ravmd
    13 years ago

We will have no uppers or just some around the stove area so we do not plan to put glasses there. All plates and glasses will go in drawers by the dishwasher using dividers that Ikea has. I like the look of shelves with white plates on them, but no room for that either-mostly windows.

• pirula
    13 years ago

I have some wine glasses on the open shelves, here:

And other wine glasses and drinking glasses in shallow cabinets on either side of the wine fridge, here:

• pirula
    13 years ago

The coffee mugs, and espresso cups are under the coffee machine in the first pic.

• ae2ga
    13 years ago

Pirula - you have a SPECTACULAR kitchen. It's so beautiful and homey and beautiful and comfotable and beautiful and bright and beautiful!

• lyvia
    13 years ago

I felt the same way about losing uppers. I had to break down into categories the stuff in my "glasses" cabinet. The water bottles and mugs will be fine in drawers. I'm a little leery of putting the glass glasses in a drawer, but there are really only about six of those that we use daily. I don't want them in the "open" due to dog hair issues. But I can sneak in a tiny upper cabinet for six glasses.

• carrie_eileen
    13 years ago

I'm with pirula - I have open shelves where I keep my wine glasses, cups, dishes and mixing bowls. Works great! It really makes the space feel open, everything is close at hand . . . and according to my husband, I had a problem shutting the cabinet doors when they were there anyway. Works great.

• Fori
    13 years ago

I keep sippy cups in a drawer, along with other kid dishes, bibs, wash cloths, etc. Kids can be really demanding when they get their own cups and shove them in your face and demand you get off the computer. And darn is that drawer sticky.

Sippy cups are well suited to drawer use. In theory, you get that drawer back some day.

(If I didn't have the sippy cup user, I'd have some glasses in drawers, but my sippy cup user is Big Trouble.)

Shelves are out of the question located on a highly stressed fault as I am.

• LDB63
    13 years ago

A pantry cabinet, or a section of the kitchen base run that is taller, will allow for glass storage and add interest. I have also taken an island and raised an end for this purpose.
    Putting your glasses in a standard base unit, as seen in the pretty cream kitchen above,is fine for a family that is under 5'9... a taller family, such as mine, would certainly be squawking!

Here is a link that might be useful: VA Cabinets

• sochi
    13 years ago

I have sippy cups, other kid glasses on a low shelf in my pantry. Some nice adult glasses out on a shelf. I do also have two small uppers in my kitchen, the rest of the glasses are there. I do think you get used to having glasses in drawers, lower cabinets. It seems strange, but it really isn't. The island we will build will also have some open storage for children's/juice glasses.

• momqs
    13 years ago

We have two 12" deep cabinets under the island (24" deep drawers backed by the 12" cabs). I told the designer he was crazy that I'd never use them. He told me I'd love them.

He wins! I love them.

One has glasses, cups, plastic kid stuff, water bottles, etc etc.... The other has lunch boxes, coolers, and all of the assorted things that go in them.

Next to the stove we have a small upper cabinet that has some nicer glasses (tall beer glasses, etc..) and random mugs in it.

The coffee mugs we use every day are above the coffee & tea makers.

Wine glasses are in a cabinet next to the fridge with the wine.

I wound up splitting up my old huge corner glasses cabinet into 4 places in the new kitchen and it makes so much more sense. Nothing is buried way in the back and everything is where we use it.

• bigdoglover
    13 years ago

I have regular boring old upper cabinets, but want to say....

pirula, your stove wall makes me want to rip them down and install open shelves!
    It also brings to mind the original meaning of a cupboard (or cabinet):

From Webster's 1828 Dictionary.
    Cupboard (cup and board). Originally a board or shelf for cups to stand on.

• blondie859111
    13 years ago

I have cabinets being delivered on Monday- but I have planned a U-shaped kitchen. To the left of the DW forming the penninsula, I have (2) 33" deep drawer banks for dishes, glasses, mixing bowels and storage containers.

• pirula
    13 years ago

Thanks very much!

Fun on the definition...who knew?

• sageabf
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for advice everyone. pirula - beautiful kitchen, and a lacanche! ours is on its way from France, cannot wait to meet it!