Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thenickster_gw

Favorite BM Paints - I have 24 hours to decide!

thenickster
13 years ago

I have to pick paint for an entire house by tomorrow and all I have are paint chips.

What are your:

Favorite yellows

Favorite beige

Favorite blues

Favorite red

Or any favorite!!

Thanks!

Comments (41)

• itsallaboutthefood
    13 years ago

We hired some "foo foo" ladies (as my DH called them) when we first moved into our house 10 years ago who picked the colors to paint our house. We wanted warm, sunny colors...this is what they chose for use:

BM Straw (warm yellow) - kitchen
    BM Filtered Sunlight (one shade down from straw) - hallway
    BM Mexicana (rich, deep, brownish red) - living room
    BM Camel Back (beige) - family room
    BM Mayonnaise (white) - all trim, doors and ceilings

We love it (except I am not too fond of the camel back, but I am not a beige person...my DH loves it though).

• ideagirl2
    13 years ago

Provence Creme is a really nice light yellow.

And if you're looking for rich or darker reds, Classic Burgundy is really nice.

• lizzard2you
    13 years ago

Rich Cream, Desert Tan and Cork (all on the same strip) are lovely non green-hued yellows.

• michellemarie
    13 years ago

I used BM Waterbury Cream on most of first level. I saw it on the cover of a Kitchen magazine I liked so I bought a small amount of it.
    I think it looks pretty all day and evening. So many of the paints I would bring home would look great and then later as the amount of light in the room changed it would look horrible or vise versa.

• senator13
    13 years ago

BM-Paper Lantern
    BM Front Porch
    BM Sea Haze

• melissastar
    13 years ago

Cream Yellow and Rich Cream...both soft, but non babyish yellows, with no green tones.

Oklahoma wheat, a sophisticated yellow with undertones of apricot, that seems to change in different lights

Two all time favorites: Quiet Moments and White Rain.

• maruha
    13 years ago

Yellow-Hawthorne Yellow
    Blue-Pale Smoke
    Beige-Smokey Taupe

• rem1970
    13 years ago

White Satin is a lovely light blue, despite the name.

Cedar Key is a wonderful oatmeal beige, especially when paired with Cloud White (which is a creamy white). I've received many compliments on this color combo.

I'm using Linen Sand in my kitchen, it is a nice pale yellow.

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

We used BM Aura/Affinity paint colors:

Yellow--Handmade
    Blue--Constellation
    Darker than Beige--Pensive (?)

Love all three!

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

Seconding (is that a word?) the Constellation and Sea Haze

• dretutz
    13 years ago

Love Aura Honeymoon. Soft apricoty yellow.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Mine are not on your list but, my 2 faves are BM paints.
    Best color ever - Purple Rain - it is a deep dark purple that looks like velvet and is striking, esp with bright white trim. Our mirror looks amazing with it on the wall behind it. It leans slightly to the burgundy side, but it is a real purple.
    Wales Green at 75% or 80% (forget which) - it is a bright perky green with yellow tones. You can't be unhappy when you see this color. I may have even liked it at 100%, but someone else in the decorating forum used it full strength and freaked out. I chose to be a chicken and tone it down. I am not sure it was the right choice.

• Angela
    13 years ago

I love, love, love Creekside Green. Not sagey, not army, just a great green. As for beige, I've found Shaker Beige to be a nice beige in pretty much every room I've seen it in. In an issue of BHG a few months ago they said that the perfect, no-fail yellows are BM Hawthorne Yellow and Restoration Hardware Saffron.

• gamecock43
    13 years ago

I just used BM Gray Cashmere on my DR ceiling. I love it!

• katieob
    13 years ago

Hi.

How fun!

I like paint to be crisp & clean & airy, so my favorites are not deep pigments or hues.

Favorite blues (I like blue/greys): All BM: Cashmere Grey, Wickham Grey, Quiet Moments

Favorite beiges: BM Edgecomb Grey, BM Bleeker Beige

Favorite creamish/yellow: BM Papaya, BM Coronado Creme

Favorite greenish/yellow: BM Abingdon Putty

Favorite Green (very, very subtle): BM Silken Pine

Good luck!
    Katie

• hungryheart
    13 years ago

I was looking for a yellow that was creamy and not too yellowish for my kitchen. I went with BM Straw and am quite pleased.

• francoise47
    13 years ago

Another vote for BM Silken Pine, if you want a very subtle green.

For a mellow off white with yellow and orange undertones I love BM Cameo White. It looks great with my oil-finished red oak floors.

• megradek
    13 years ago

ugh! I feel your pain. had to pick a whole house 2 years ago when we built. It might have been one of the decisions I pondered longest!!

tans/beige:
    Revere Pewter-used this in my kitchen, family, hall, etc. it's a great beige that also has grey undertones
    Shaker beige (as already mentioned) is a nice beige
    baja dunes
    cabot trail: a darker tan, but if you have enough light it is a gorgeous color

blue:
    adagio - I love this blue

yellow:
    mushroom cap - really pretty muted yellow

• artemis78
    13 years ago

@dianalo, our new kitchen is Wales Green at full strength, and we were worried it wasn't bright enough! All relative, I guess. ;) I do like it a lot, but I think it's decidedly green rather than yellow.

Some that I like:

Deep beiges/tans: Golden Retriever and its little brother Dark Beige

We're considering Old Pickup Blue (partly because the name is awesome!) for our bathroom but I haven't seen it on a wall yet so hesitate to recommend---but worth a peek.

We also have Sea Haze, but I don't find it reads blue at all---it's pretty gray in our space, and green-leaning at that.

• ingridntexas
    13 years ago

You should check out a website called decorpad.com, there is a paint gallery where you can click on a color and then filter BM paints to narrow it down. You then click on the picture of an actual room and it will give you the name of the paint. Hope this helps, I love this website, so helpful.

• ellendi
    13 years ago

Check out all the BM Pottery Barn colors.
    My favorite beige was a Potttery Barn favorite. Shaker Beige. I have it in my foyer.
    My living room is BM 205. This was recommended by Ethan Allen and was supposed to be a light beige.(That is how is it appears on the card) But it reads light yellow and we have been repainting this color for the past 15 years. (Looks great with my green couch, green, beige and cranberry chairs.)

• jessicaml
    13 years ago

Palace White OC-100 - it's a subtle warm beige that practically glows in sunlight

• mcgillicuddy
    13 years ago

I'll add a vote for Constellation. It's a beautiful, very pale aqua with a high light reflectance value. Chantilly Lace is a great trim color to use in blue and gray rooms.

Crystalline is Constellation's greener cousin - a gorgeous soft muted color.

• chispa
    13 years ago

I could not make a choice like that without buying some sample pots/quarts and doing some larger sample boards. Colors can look so different in each house.

For example I needed a light beige for my previous house. I tested several BM colors and none worked well with the marble in the foyer. Finally I tested SW Kilim Beige, which I had avoided because many people on this site said it had pink/skin undertones. It was perfect in that house with no weird undertones.

Now we have a new house in a different State. I tried the Kilim Beige again and it looks terrible here, bandaid beige! Not the look I was going for! It looks like SW Softer Tan and Macadamia will work better here.

You need to test the colors we recommend. It is a bit more work, but well worth the extra money, time and effort. And it will end up saving you money in the long run when you don't have to repaint!

• swhite10
    13 years ago

Favorite blues: Van Courtland Blue, Nimbus Gray, Wedgewood Gray, Soft Chinchilla
    Favorite yellow: Believable Buff
    Favorite beiges: Manchester Tan, Bleeker Beige, Clay Beige, Greenbrier Beige, Revere Pewter
    Favorite red: Caliente

• joyjoyjoy
    13 years ago

These all sound so lovely!

• Angela
    13 years ago

I was going to add some more but just realized that SWhite added exactly what I was going to say! So ditto to Wedgewood Gray (although it looks very different depending on the light in the room), Bleeker Beige, Manchester Tan, Greenbrier Beige, and Revere Pewter.

• sas95
    13 years ago

I agree with chispa that it is impossible to make a good selection without seeing actual samples of the paint in your home. Many of the colors that looked wonderful in the homes of fellow gardenwebbers looked awful in our home, due to light and other issues. You need to look at the color over a period of days, at various times, with both natural and artificial light. After seeing a zillion colors on our walls, we ended up going in a totally different direction than we originally anticipated.

• nancyaustin
    13 years ago

Favorite yellow: BM Jicama
    Favorite blue: BM Tranquility
    Favorite beige: BM Hush

• csremodel
    13 years ago

Plymouth Rock - a beautiful shade of green with a soft gray undertone

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Favorite yellows Benjamin Moore Moonlight Yellow

(this is not my home a Pottery Barn add, I wish I could
    find the right picture to really show the color, this ad does a much better job.)

Favorite beige Baked Scone Behr

The main areas of my house hallways etc. are painted this color. This is the one color I always come back too. In all my houses there is something about this color. The way the light hits in the morning or evening light melts the color to feel warm, gentle and always light. I have two story windows so there light is always coming in. I love this color.

Favorite blue Glass Slipper Benjamin Moore
    It looks great with white marble and dark ebony floors.

Glass Slipper Benjamin Moore

Favorite red (I have so many favorite reds)

Sangria BM

Rosy Apple Benjamin Moore

Cherry Cobbler Super Glossy Behr

• babushka_cat
    13 years ago

another vote for creekside green.

as posters stated, you need to paint swatches and live with them in various times of days. can you buy yourself some time to make this decision? otherwise you may end up doing a lot of repainting.

• cjc123
    13 years ago

Alexandria Beige (dining rm / master bed room)
    Bleeker Beige (stairwell/family room)
    Fieldstone (green/gray) (kitchen /hall)
    Hodley Red (formal living room)

on a side note: If you have Anderson windows, my paint store has a special mix called "Anderson Windows White", I use it on all our trim. Check with your store to see if they have it also, beautiful match to windows.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    13 years ago

In Ben Moore, my faves are:

yellow - straw
    dark green gray - hampshire grey
    medium grey - revere pewter
    creamy whites - cotton balls (less white then that sounds), halo (green gray undertoness) and ancient ivory

• pps7
    13 years ago

All BM:

gray wisp: blue/green/gray. One of my favorites.

hot apple spice: brick red

silver fox: medium gray with a touch of purple

lenox tan: caramel color

Grant beige: beige with cool undertone. sorry no pics

dill pickle: wonderfull fresh green. This color makes me happy.

Kingsport gray: cool brown

• thenickster
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks to all the great suggestions! We spent hours and hours with paint chips today - I might have to put off the final decisions.

Living room - Rich cream or Mannequin cream - that is my biggest open decision. Let me know if anyone has any other favorite colors - I find it all so interesting!! Thanks again!

• ejbrymom
    13 years ago

What are your:
    Favorite yellows - I have Pittsfield Buff BM (quite yellowish gold) in my family and kitchen and love it!
    Favorite beige - Coastal Fog (BM) it is a green grey taupey beige LOVE IT! Get lots of compliments on it.
    Favorite blues - I have Sherwin Williams Silvermist in my bedroom and Restoration Hardware Silver Sage in my laundry room love them both!
    Favorite red - I don't do red paint.

Favorite green gray - Nantucket Gray

• babs711
    13 years ago

I'm thirding (or fourthing??) Quiet Moments for a soft blue/gray/green. It's just lovely on a wall as is the shade below it, Beach Glass (which seems to have a bit more blue to it).

• Circus Peanut
    13 years ago

Palladian Blue at 25% for ceilings is amazing.

I must have tried a zillion BM whites before hitting on Soft Chamois that doesn't turn pink or yellow against cooler colors.

Hawthorne or Cambridge Heights for warm kitchen yellows that are yellow, not ivory.

Eye of the Tiger if you want a more mustardy, squashy yellow.

• thenickster
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok, in part due to the great help here, I have some great colors:

Beige - Shaker beige
    Brown - Alexandria brown
    Blue - Quiet Moments
    Yellow - Cork.
    Red - Still looking
    Other beige - Adobe Beige
    Green - Palisades Park (office - great color)
    Blue - San Franciso Bay (son's room)

Thanks so much to all - great suggestions from all!

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource