Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joyce_6333

White canisters

joyce_6333
12 years ago

I'm thinking of getting a set of canisters to put on my counter, sort of as decoration, but also large enough to hold flour, sugar, etc. Would like something a little unique, maybe even vintage looking. I've spent a lot of time looking at ceramic, porcelain, stainless, even clear glass. Can't seem to make up my mind. If you have some you really like, could you post a picture? Thanks.

Comments (22)

• kitchenaddict
    12 years ago

Hi joyce..

I admit..I have a canister problem..love them. I have 5 white/cream ones... 2 clear glass ones..and I use them all.

Cream colored from Target..Clear glass ones on the left use to have candles in them..

Marshall's... odds and ends but I couldn't resist them.

Pier One Imports,Home Goods, Marshall's, Ross, Target..all good places to find such things..

KA:)

• buckheadhillbilly
    12 years ago

I have some truly vintage canisters - a relic from my childhood home. One sits on the counter with sugar and the others are in the pantry with other things in them.

I picked these up recently at an estate sale:

I loved the look and I had the perfect spot for them.

Kinda twisted, but it makes me laugh.

• marcolo
    12 years ago

I doubt many guests open those canisters to see what's inside.

• friedajune
    12 years ago

Crackin' me up Buckheadhillbilly!

There are so many beautiful canisters out there. Though be aware that most of the decorative-for-countertop-display canisters are not airtight, so they will not protect against meal bugs and the like. If you want to store safely your flour and sugar, look at Lock & Lock, which are BPA-free and airtight, though they're not decorative.

You'd-likely-find-these-at-Downton-Abbey Canisters (but they're a bit small, and no flour)

Les Canisters Francais

So Cheerful and Fun Striped/White Canisters

Retro King Arthur Flour Crock

• lawjedi
    12 years ago

I just picked 2 of these "large" ones for flour and sugar a bit over a month ago. My old canisters had bit the dust and I just wanted plain white.

I don't think they go for the vintage vibe - but they are very plain, unassuming white.

Here is a link that might be useful: canister at Crate and Barrel

• Linda
    12 years ago

I saw some at J.C. Penny's the other day that I thought looked nice, and were fairly reasonably priced compared to some look-alikes that I had seen a while ago on the web that were ridiculously expensive.

Here is a link that might be useful: JCPenny's canisters

• oldbat2be
    12 years ago

Great thread, great question. Love yours buckheadhillbilly! Hope to see many other suggestions. It's something for which I continue to search....

• poohpup
    12 years ago

Okay, isn't anyone going to ask buckheadhillbilly just what is kept in those canisters? Love them! lol

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

I love mine!
    ~boxer

• joyce_6333
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, my, such pretty ones! Buckheadhillbilly, I love the one with the red knob. Wonder if you can buy those? Any idea what they're called. Love your bathroom ones! Bet you get lots of comments on them. Boxer, I also like the simplicity of yours. Do you keep flour,sugar, etc in them? Do they have to be sealed? I didn't really think about that before. I really need to accessorize my kitchen, but having lots of trouble with that.

• pudgybaby
    12 years ago

Got a BIG chuckle from your post, buckheadhillbilly.

I have one small and one large of these canisters from bauer pottery (mine are in bauer yellow). I love them, although they do not have seals. I use the small one for salt next to my range and the large one for dog biscuits. Don't let the 'spice canister' name throw you - the large one would hold a 5 lb bag of flour, I think. They aren't cheap, though.

Here is a link that might be useful: bauer potter canisters

• shannonplus2
    12 years ago

Joyce - you can still buy those slant jars at The Container Store. They're still made by Anchor Hocking in the U.S.A. Though now with a metal knob, not a red one. You may be able to find one with a red knob on eBay; in fact eBay should be where you should look for truly vintage-y canisters, though I like several linked on this thread too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Container Store Slant Jar

• joyce_6333
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Shannon. I might just have to order that one!

• melissastar
    12 years ago

Do I have cannisters...yeah, I have cannisters, and I guess they're sort of vintage!

Of course, I also have these, but they store only batteries, cookie cutters and other nonfood items. Too small for actual foodstuffs.

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

Yes, I use my canisters for tea, coffee, sugar and chocolate.
    These were a gift 23 years ago from one of my bridesmaid's.
    I love them.

And now here are a few more beautiful canisters.
    ~boxer

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

Not glamorous but functional. These are 7 for $20 at Target. Has lid like old-fashioned canning jar with silicon removable ring. Can be put into dishwasher. Additionally, I'm finding them at resale shops which adds to the collection. Now that DH has need for multiple flours with gluten-free diet and he uses them himself frequently (sloppy), I'm keeping some inside my baking drawer--I tighten the lid, then put whole canister under the faucet to remove clinging flour before storing them.

I'm fighting any chance of bugs in my cabs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Target web page / white tight-lid canisters

• rocketmomkd
    12 years ago

So much canister inspiration! And once my kitchen is done, I'll finally have a little extra counter space to display some beautiful canisters of my own. Dh just asked what I'm going to do with my time once all the kitchen choices are done. Now I can tell him...

• joyce_6333
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Boxer: Thanks for all the pictures!

Melissa: Wow, now that's a bunch of canisters. How do you tell what's in each one?

Florantha: I like those! Wonder how much they hold? you know, my MIL always kept her flour and sugar in a drawer. The drawers had metal liners, but didn't have any type of cover. And I never remember her having bugs. Or a least she never mentioned them. Maybe she was just lucky?

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

Joyce, ought to say that many of mine lack the little spoons, but the ceramic spoon-holding triangle protrudes from them--who cares? Price is right and these are minimal in their intrusion into the decor.

• joyce_6333
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions. I took the advice to get canisters that seal, and found these at TJMaxx (not Sears, that's the only place I could find a link to them to show you). Got two of them @ $12 each. They aren't white, but will hold flour and sugar. They look great and are large enough that they hold more than a 5lb bag with room to spare.

Here is a link that might be useful: OGGI jumbo canister

• SugarCookies
    12 years ago

Joyce - I like those jumbo ones. I have a TJMaxx right by me. I'll have to see if they have any more. Thanks for sharing those.

• Rudebekia
    12 years ago

Fun thread! Mine are from Marshalls--ridiculously cheap!
    {{!gwi}}