Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Counter overhang for seating along wall, versus island

Posted by Donya2 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 14, 13 at 14:03

Hello - I'm just starting a kitchen reno but needing to work with existing cabinets. Along one wall, to the right of a window/sink area, I will have four upper cabinets that total 69 inches. Unfortunately, my base cabinets to the right of the window/sink are only 63 inches (I'm reusing existing cabinets from the opposite wall and can't order new as the stain/model has changed). I'm wondering about possible options to even this up... putting a 10 inch or so counter extension with a little stool tucked under? Of course, you see this a lot on islands but I'm worried this will look a little strange along a wall. Extending the counter to match up with uppers but then building some shelves along the edge of the end base cabinet? I would love some ideas and pictures, or words of caution. Thank you!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Counter overhang for seating along wall, versus island

I actually like the idea of extending the end of the counter and putting shelves underneath. I think visually it would extend the base cabinets. The shelves would be a nice way to store cookbooks or really pretty/exotic dishes. I just don't think 6" would be enough for books but may be okay for smaller special dishes. I'm sure someone else will have better input.

o
RE: Counter overhang for seating along wall, versus island

I like the idea of tucking a stool in there, too, especially if there is no other stool in the kitchen. It's always nice to be able to grab one and sit down. If your house is like ours, a stool gets a lot of action from our littles, and I'd love a dedicated place to tuck one away when it isn't in use. Depending on the style, a step stool that doubles with seating could go there and then be pulled out for reaching into the top shelves of pesky uppers (I'm kinda short.)

Is this in a good spot for a trash can? It would be so much less expensive to put a can under there in the opening than buying a trash pullout cupboard.

Here is a picture of book cubbies under a peninsula somewhat like you describe. It's in the comments section, the author is "Mid Mod Mom" http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/414525/list/Show-Us-Your-Kitchen-

Here is a link that might be useful: Retro step stool chairs

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here