Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitchendetective

Seeking black or dark gray porcelain floor tile

kitchendetective
13 years ago

I'm looking for examples of porcelain floor tile for a small condo kitchen (approx. 150 square feet). I'd like a black, off-black, charcoal gray, or deep gray, slightly mottled or limestone look. It needs to be strong and easily moppable (sorry if that's a neologism). Any suggestions? And any grout suggestions to go with it? Many thanks.

Comments (16)

• brickton
    13 years ago

We just bought Daltile Slate in Asian Black and I love it. It's not laid down yet, but it's a great mottled gray and black (really dark dark gray, not fully black). We bought it in the 12 x 18 and I can not wait to have it installed!

This is a fairly good representation of the color. Some of the online pics make it look kind of meh and a little too blue so we made sure to order a sample before ordering the whole shebang.

• steff_1
    13 years ago

As I read your post, Daltile was the first place I thought of. Then I read Brickton's post and smiled. Daltile is a great resource for the tile you describe.

• melissastar
    13 years ago

Ditto on Daltile. Take a look at the Concrete Connection collection as well. I recently used the black 13 X 13 tiles in a powder room and I like it very much. It's a matte looking mottled black with hints of taupey-brown in it.

• xand83
    13 years ago

USCT Orion Negro polished. Very strong. Installed in October and no problems yet. Easy to clean and very shiny!

Here is a link that might be useful: Orion Negro HD page

• cfire
    13 years ago

We used Florida Tile's 'Soul' glazed porcelain tile in 'Body Black'. It is gorgeous. I have read on other forums that there are sometimes issues w/this maker's consistency, but that was not an issue in our case. If you've never had a black floor before, one thing you should know going in is that it shows everything -- hair, dust, basically anything lighter than black, plus water spots.

We used Florida tile's 'Soul' in a dark gray color 'Passion Antracite' in a hall bathroom and it is gorgeous as well. Doesn't show stuff as easily, either.

Here is a link that might be useful: Florida Tile 'Soul'

• rococogurl
    13 years ago

Ann Sacks porcelain tile. Really lovely and the grays and browns are super.

• sjmitch
    13 years ago

Here is a picture of Lea Ceramiche glazed stoneware tiles in "ash" colour. We used them in our front entry way and are very happy with them. This picture is from the manufacturer.

• sjmitch
    13 years ago

I seem to be somewhat challenged today. My pictures are not cooperating with uploading.

• rmaxharrj
    13 years ago

We recently put an American Olean porcelain tile that I love in our powder room. It's called Siena Springs - we chose the Riverbed color, which is a blueish charcoal with some earth-tone mottling. They also have a deeper black called Cavern and a mossier brown called Boulder. Many sizes and not too expensive (~$5sf for the 13x13) size. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: American Olean Siena Springs

• willtv
    13 years ago

Here's a link to ask4roca.com. They have a porcelain tile called Natural Stone Black. It is jet black with a textured, glossy finish so it should be easy to mop.
    When I did my kitchen I sent away for a sample but decided it was too black for me.

They also carry some very dark gray slate which I went with.

They're very nice to deal with. Ask them to ship you a sample.

Here is a link that might be useful: ask4roca.com

• kitchendetective
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I will find samples of all of these. Thanks for the suggestions!

• cfire
    13 years ago

Hey kitchendetective...

Realized I forgot to respond to the second part of your request re grout. We had the tiles placed close together for a thin grout line and used a dark grout to match the tiles. Hope that's helpful. Also, if your installer doesn't take the time to seal the grout, make sure you do.

• MCMesprit
    13 years ago

We installed recently a Concrete Connection gray porcelain tile in 12x20 bricks. The gray is a medium tone that complements well our SS appliances and stone. The tile is lightly textured and easy to clean. The same sample board also had a darker gray and the tile comes in a variety of sizes. If you're interested, I can find out the name of the tile.

• hoffmalr_gw
    13 years ago

Actually it was TEC AccuColor premium sanded grout in Light Pewter. We were going to go with platinum in a different brand but the tile store was out.

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

Here's the tile we used in our MB:

The tile is Atlas Concorde (AKDO) Glow in Cosmos 12x24. We used TEC XT grout in Raven (unsanded).