Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeanneart93003

Need photos of hoods for vintage stove

jeanneart93003
12 years ago

Greetings--

Looking for photos of range hoods with Vintage stoves. I am remodeling a kitchen with a reconditioned O'Keefe & Merritt stove. I like to mix up styles and was thinking of using a modern stainless and glass Euro-style hood. Of course the hoods are very rpciey...so am just exploring options and would love to see what you have done....

The stove will look much like the one pictured here in yellow http://www.antiqueappliancecompany.com/OKeefeMerrittModel535YellowPorcelain1954.html

Kind of hood I was thinking of..http://zephyronline.com/products/essentials_europa/milano-g_wall

Thanks

Comments (21)

• melissastar
    12 years ago

Not a fan of that combo. The OK&M stove is a beauty. I'd love to see one of those Modernaire barrel hoods over it. The conventional way of treating them, I suppose, but still pretty rare in the general spectrum of kitchens.

• gregincal
    12 years ago

I also don't feel they really go together. Modern is fine, but I don't really find much in common between the two and I think the combination would be jarring. The Milano S would be a better choice, since it at least has the curved metal that kind of mirrors the handles on the range doors.

• marcolo
    12 years ago

Oh god no. Not that hood.

The "classic" hood to pair with a vintage stove is the Vent-A-Hood "Classic."

Or the VAH Model A.
    {{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Vent a Hood

• dianalo
    12 years ago

We went for stainless over our Chambers but went for a very functional look. It could be considered modern but it is not very fashion forward. We have our stove in the island so needed the chimney style. I wanted the venthood to look ok with the stove but not compete...

Here is a link that might be useful: Rangemaster by Broan

• zeebee
    12 years ago

Frank talk here: I don't think that combination is working. I'm all in favor of mixing vintage and modern, but the range-hood combination is not the place to mix. Range and cabinets, range and lighting, range and kitchen table/chairs can have tension, but not the range and hood. If they don't speak to each other, it's just discordant noise in that area of the kitchen. Individually, I see a beautiful classic range and a sleek uber-contemporary hood; together, I see jarring and ugly.

I'd go simple barrel style in the same lovely soft yellow as the range, then get your modern on elsewhere in the kitchen. See linky for the barrel style.

Here is a link that might be useful: This is Marthavila's barrel hood, right?

• farmgirlinky
    12 years ago

Well, our range is not technically vintage but the Aga design hasn't changed much in 80 years. The hood had to be made to order because of challenges with the Aga vent pipe (into the existing chimney flue) and the fact that the hood could only be vented through one particular bay between joists in our old house, out to the back. Hence the asymmetry. But Rangecraft made it all fit!
    Lynn

{{!gwi}}

• marthavila
    12 years ago

Lynn, I'm still drooling.

• Circus Peanut
    12 years ago

Love your yellow! My 1949 OKM is white with yellow knobs, but I love the reverse too. You'll love the stove.

I went the budget route and made my own hood out of tiled plywood -- I had originally used a more modern wall hood that didn't really match well at all. This one seems to fit just right and the insert is higher quality than what we could afford as a "finished" hood package.

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

A few ideas...

• farmgirlinky
    12 years ago

I think that particular Zephyr hood doesn't speak to the O'Keefe and Merritt range, for what my opinion is worth.
    Lynn

• jeanneart93003
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks all for the photos and opinions. Glad you like the stove. The yellow is a bold choice, but I love it! Your photos gave me all new ideas.

Would still love more photos if you have them.

• jeanneart93003
    Original Author
    12 years ago

More retro hoods

Here is a link that might be useful: Custom range hoods with scallops

• farmhousebound
    12 years ago

When I first saw the barrel hood by Modernaire, I knew it was the only one to go over "Baby", our Chambers stove :)

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

I didn't use a hood with my O'Keefe and Merritt- I used a microwave. Not as pretty as some hoods, but I like it there.
    Renee

• farmgirlinky
    12 years ago

hosenemesis, what a fantastic space! I love the windows and French doors, and the garden beyond. Do you live in Eden?
    Lynn

• tomuch2chus
    12 years ago

Just a quick hijack...

Renee, I'm thrilled to see you sharing your space in "kitchens"!
    Serious talent you have, and very generous as well.

psst...check out her garden in GW's California section. She has succeeded in recreating Eden (in spite of the hose).

• deedles
    12 years ago

Oh. my.

These stoves in this thread are so gorgeous ! Circus! Is that your kitchen? I thought I'd seen pics of your kitchen and I don't remember it looking like that! That hood is awesome. Farmhouse... CHAMBERS IMPERIAL. ! What a beauty.

The AGA, the... oh.

Well, OP your lovely O'keefe certainly needs something beautiful up there. I have a mint green Chambers and I've kinda given up on the vintage-y range hood for both space and cost reasons (and because I like to change my mind about 40 times a day) but here is a pic of something similar to what I'm going to do but with an insert fan...

Here is another one that I thought was nifty... is that an Ok&M stove?

• PRO
    kayla's korner
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

need help! this 1940s model oven/range is 63 inches tall 47 wide and with the pullout burners it is 37 inches. it pulls out so far, what kind of vent hood can i buy?if a vent hood was directly over it,it would stick out2.5 feet from the back wall. even if we make our own,same
    thing. any great ideas. we are in the middle of remodeling and painting. i love the double ovens and storage underneath. dont want to give it up!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    8 years ago

A photo of the range would help, also of the space, if available.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    8 years ago

I used just a plain stainless hood from Vent-A-Hood over my O'Keefe & Merritt. Since the stove is 38" wide and rather deep, it is a bit of a problem. If I'm cooking something that MUST be vented, I cook on the rear burner.

With a stove such as you describe, a custom hood with a Vent-A-Hood motor/baffle apparatus would be best, but it would also be VERY costly.

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz