Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schicksal_gw

Paint Question - Shade of White?

schicksal
10 years ago

This one may be a dumb or trivial question - I'm trying to decide what shade of white to paint the walls in the kitchen. Let me describe it...

Cabinets will be walnut with bookmatched veneer and the countertops will be white quartz. The flooring is white oak with a bleached finish. I'm trying to figure out the wall color and there are countless shades of white and near white. Maybe it would be best to pull a shade of white from the countertop sample? Thanks in advance...

Comments (4)

• tbo123
    10 years ago

no one else has the exact same light as you do. A decision on color should be based on your lighting as colors look different under different lighting.

I would think that with walnut cabs, you would want something a little less stark than white on the walls. That said, what the paint manufacturers call white is quite a spectrum that to me aren't white.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 years ago

Your counter would be a good starting point. With so many shades of white, and not knowing just what effect you are looking for, and how colors will look in your light and to your eye, it is impossible to suggest a shade.

Many here will tell you what color they used, and how they perceive the undertone (ie gray, yellow, pink and so forth) but it just comes down to what looks good to you in your space.

So go out and grab a bunch of white color chips for anywhere you can get them. Most brands have a brochure of "whites and lights" plus more colors on strips. Don't limit yourself to just one brand (if you want to use Ben Moore paint, well, they can match the color from any other brand, if you find one that is perfect). Cut the whites from the brochure or from the rest of the strip. Then start looking at them in the room with the counter, floor and cabinets. Putting a stack of typing paper underneath may help bring out the undertones. Be sure to look at them not just flat on a table but also upright as if they are on the wall. Look at them in the light that you will have when finished (like LED or CFL) Sort them into yes, no, and maybe. Don't take too long over each chip. You will start to see a trend in what shades you like with the other elements; some will seem dirty, or dull, or too bright, or too blue/yellow/green/pink/grey. Some will just feel good.

Narrow it down to 4-5 that make you feel good when you look at the with the other elements, and get samples of those.

• schicksal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok thanks. A lot of what I've been seeing in Atomic Ranch and Houzz are on the "very" end of the white scale when people have cabinets similar to what we are getting so I think we'll start there. To me the pictures look close to what I see on the ceiling.

I used to think that picking paint colors were easy but I was always going to move within the next year or so anyway. Now all of a sudden it's hard to do since we're staying here.

• greenhaven
    10 years ago

Paint colors are one of the hardest things for me. I can never do it on my own. Okay, seldom.

Me, I would probably aim for something a little grayer, but raee is absolutely right about taking the color home and seeing it in your light on your walls. Even from the store to the house can be a drastic difference in suitability.