Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pictures of under cabinet hoods?

Posted by pseudochef (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 14, 13 at 13:51

If anyone has an undercabinet hood for their cooktop would you mind posting a picture? I think we're going with the under-cabinet hood as opposed to a hood insert with a decorative hood. I would prefer the decorative hood, but it's more costly and my cooktop isn't exactly centered on a wall to make it a large focal piece. I've seen this Broan one which I think looks nice, http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/E64.html . I just have an smooth top electric 30" cooktop so I'm also wondering how many cfm I need so if you could also share that I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Broan Under Cabinet Hood

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pictures of under cabinet hoods?

The one you have selected is attractive without stealing the show. I like it. You should be fine with normal CFM, like 400ish unless you do a lot of frying or cook stinky things often. Or burn things more than normal. :)

This is the one I installed in my last kitchen.

Sleeping:

Deployed:

Bonus feature: if you hit your head on it, it moves instead of making you bleed.

o

Fori, that one is really nice. What brand is it?

o

That one is GE Monogram a few years ago (I think they still make it). It may only come in 36". There are other slideout hoods out there too--one (Imperial maybe?) even had the front paneled with a little strip of cabinet to really hide it. It's been a few years since I was looking at these though. The kitchen we replaced had an old Kenmore slideout and we really liked it. Capture was satisfactory. Lack of cussing from tall clumsy spouse very satisfactory!

o

I had one in my old kitchen that folded back in, and I liked it. My new one is permanent, but I got one with curved corners to avoid puncture wounds. It's a Kobe with 720 CFM max, but I usually run it on one of the first two (out of four) settings. It's 36" over 30" induction cooktop. This is a shot of the hood mid-reno.
uppers and hood photo P4100261.jpg

o

Not the best shot, but here's our 36" Proline 900CFM hood.

This post was edited by willtv on Thu, Mar 14, 13 at 21:47

o

Vent-a-Hood 450 cfm over electric cooktop:

photo IMG_0098.jpg

o

Here's mine, Broan 350 CFM under cabinet. The lights are nice (although one burned out on Day 2), and it does a decent job at removing the cooking effluent. With an electric cooktop, you do not go overboard, unless you really want to.

From February 16, 2013

This post was edited by julieboulangerie on Fri, Mar 15, 13 at 2:15

o

I have a Vent-a-Hood. It is unusual in that it has their 300cfm "Magic Lung" fan yet in the 6" depth hood (in the front). They have 6" hoods but they don't have the "Magic Lung" but something they call a "K" series fan. How my model differs is that it is 6" top to bottom in the front but it is 9" top to bottom in the back to accommodate the "Magic Lung". It is not the most lovely. I will post a picture. My kitchen was laid out by a cabinet shop before I really understood about hoods. So this was my fit, to get a better fan in my limited space. It also didn't hurt that the store where I bought the fan quoted me the wrong price, and ended up selling it to me at cost because their initial offered price was even below that. It was priced in their computer system wrong.

Can you see how the bottom of the hood slopes down in the back? It slopes to the 9" depth. It is model number SLH6-130 Vent-a-Hood, It has halogen bulbsx2, and 2 speeds to the fan. I looked up the number and it may be a special order.
 photo IMG_1591.jpg

This post was edited by enduring on Fri, Mar 15, 13 at 7:39

o

I have a Viking that is 460 cfm and it works fine so the broan with 600 should be good. IMO the biggest reason to go higher would be if you fry or sear much food.

o

This is very encouraging. They all look really nice.

Enduring, does the magic lung do something special?

And Fori, I didn't realize till after your second post that your hood was a slide-out. I didn't even know that existed yet. That's even cooler.

o

Proline 1000 cfm:

Photobucket

o

If you go to the web site it explains it. Mine has the B100 fan in it and is good for electric cook tops. For gas ranges they say more cfm exchanges are needed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vent a Hood site

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here