Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pseudochef

Pictures of under cabinet hoods?

pseudochef
11 years ago

If anyone has an undercabinet hood for their cooktop would you mind posting a picture? I think we're going with the under-cabinet hood as opposed to a hood insert with a decorative hood. I would prefer the decorative hood, but it's more costly and my cooktop isn't exactly centered on a wall to make it a large focal piece. I've seen this Broan one which I think looks nice, http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/E64.html . I just have an smooth top electric 30" cooktop so I'm also wondering how many cfm I need so if you could also share that I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Broan Under Cabinet Hood

Comments (12)

• pseudochef
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Fori, that one is really nice. What brand is it?

• Fori
    11 years ago

That one is GE Monogram a few years ago (I think they still make it). It may only come in 36". There are other slideout hoods out there too--one (Imperial maybe?) even had the front paneled with a little strip of cabinet to really hide it. It's been a few years since I was looking at these though. The kitchen we replaced had an old Kenmore slideout and we really liked it. Capture was satisfactory. Lack of cussing from tall clumsy spouse very satisfactory!

• ginny20
    11 years ago

I had one in my old kitchen that folded back in, and I liked it. My new one is permanent, but I got one with curved corners to avoid puncture wounds. It's a Kobe with 720 CFM max, but I usually run it on one of the first two (out of four) settings. It's 36" over 30" induction cooktop. This is a shot of the hood mid-reno.

• willtv
    11 years ago

Not the best shot, but here's our 36" Proline 900CFM hood.

This post was edited by willtv on Thu, Mar 14, 13 at 21:47

• leela4
    11 years ago

Vent-a-Hood 450 cfm over electric cooktop:

• julieboulangerie
    11 years ago

Here's mine, Broan 350 CFM under cabinet. The lights are nice (although one burned out on Day 2), and it does a decent job at removing the cooking effluent. With an electric cooktop, you do not go overboard, unless you really want to.

From February 16, 2013

This post was edited by julieboulangerie on Fri, Mar 15, 13 at 2:15

• enduring
    11 years ago

I have a Vent-a-Hood. It is unusual in that it has their 300cfm "Magic Lung" fan yet in the 6" depth hood (in the front). They have 6" hoods but they don't have the "Magic Lung" but something they call a "K" series fan. How my model differs is that it is 6" top to bottom in the front but it is 9" top to bottom in the back to accommodate the "Magic Lung". It is not the most lovely. I will post a picture. My kitchen was laid out by a cabinet shop before I really understood about hoods. So this was my fit, to get a better fan in my limited space. It also didn't hurt that the store where I bought the fan quoted me the wrong price, and ended up selling it to me at cost because their initial offered price was even below that. It was priced in their computer system wrong.

Can you see how the bottom of the hood slopes down in the back? It slopes to the 9" depth. It is model number SLH6-130 Vent-a-Hood, It has halogen bulbsx2, and 2 speeds to the fan. I looked up the number and it may be a special order.

This post was edited by enduring on Fri, Mar 15, 13 at 7:39

• User
    11 years ago

I have a Viking that is 460 cfm and it works fine so the broan with 600 should be good. IMO the biggest reason to go higher would be if you fry or sear much food.

This post was edited by athomeinva on Thu, Jan 29, 15 at 18:58

• pseudochef
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is very encouraging. They all look really nice.

Enduring, does the magic lung do something special?

And Fori, I didn't realize till after your second post that your hood was a slide-out. I didn't even know that existed yet. That's even cooler.

• fouramblues
    11 years ago

Proline 1000 cfm:

• enduring
    11 years ago

If you go to the web site it explains it. Mine has the B100 fan in it and is good for electric cook tops. For gas ranges they say more cfm exchanges are needed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vent a Hood site

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES