Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nobasil

Underside of overhanging countertop question

We recently had our countertops (Cambria quartz) installed and overall are quite happy with them. One thing I wasn't completely expecting is that the underside of the overhangs is unfinished/unpolished (one of the overhangs is a bar seating area that overhangs as far as 18 inches). Furthermore there's a huge Cambria name, made in the USA, US flag etc showing on the underside. It's only visible when sitting on the floor/bending over (we have a 2 year old so we do that). Is this normal? Or should it have been finished/polished? I did ask the kitchen person who was going to check with the fabricator to see if something could be done. Ideally it wouldn't look that way, but isn't a big deal. I'm just wondering if anyone knows if this is standard? or a goof up?
Thanks!

Comments (26)

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

Normally the underside remains unfinished.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

basilno:

The top could be pulled and polished, but it's gonna cost you. It could have been polished at the fabricator's, but you would have had to let him know ahead of time and it still would have been an extra.

You could buy a polisher and some three-step diamonds and do it yourself for $300.00 or so.

• ck_squared
    10 years ago

We had an 18 inch overhang on our bar in our old kitchen with Cambria countertops. The underside was not polished. I don't recall a big sticker but if you can't see it without sitting on the floor, it wouldn't phase me.

• fishymom
    10 years ago

I asked the fabricators to have the underside of my overhang polished when they came to template. It is not as polished as the surface, but it is definitely smooth.

• poohpup
    10 years ago

My granite is leathered and the underside of my bar overhang is honed. They also honed the small overhang around my main cabinets. I can't imagine them having left such a large overhang unfinished without at least asking if you wanted it done.

• wags848
    10 years ago

I have a slab of soapstone on hold for my island & got quotes from 3 fabricators last week. I was going to go with the lowest bid until I asked about polishing the underside of our 10.5" overhang. He said they will do 6", but it's $150 to do the extra. I am using the fabricator who is not charging for the underside polish; when taking this (and no upcharge for 3/8" double rounded edge) into account, his bid was then the lowest.

The fabricator told me most people don't ask about the underside polishing. Glad I did; the man at the slab WH advised me to ask this question. They should have told you about this, especially with a large overhang. It's a must for our soapstone; quite rough underside & concerned re legs getting scratched sitting at the island.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

I think it really depends on the stone. Sounds like for some the slab is smooth enough to not cause any issues. Any part of my granite that I can feel underneath on the island is smooth enough. I also have mesh on it most of it (not to the edges). I opened a top drawer and felt under in the middle of the granite. Very smooth even with the mesh.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

In all fairness to fabricators, leaving overhangs unfinished is standard industry practice. The only exception to this would be if the customer had a sunken living room and you could see the underside of the overhang while seated on the sofa. I have finished bottoms for this reason and charged accordingly.

• Nobasil (z4 New England)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone that's helpful information. We've decided it isn't a particularly big deal, I think it just took me by surprise. (It feels smooth enough- not polished, but not rough- I just found it strange to see this huge brand logo in a somewhat visible place- it's not a sticker, it's printed right onto the quartz.)

• PRO
    Green Granite & Countertops
    4 years ago

I know this thread is many years old, but Cambria does now offer a "Double Polished" version of their slabs. It must be special ordered and costs slightly more than just the top being polished.

• April
    3 years ago

Want should unfinished look like? I just discovered our under hang is particle board of some sort. Shouldn’t it have been the same quartz material on the bottom as on top? Please help me understand so I either fix it or know what not to do next time. Thank you.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

Picture please. Particle board has no business being used as cantilever support.

• April
    3 years ago

Hi thanks for asking. I don’t know what this is but it doesn’t feel strong. Reminds of particle board stuff but I appreciate your insights.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

That isn't particleboard, it is Oriented Strand Board (OSB). It makes great roofing underlayment, but countertop cantilever support, not so much. Cabinet grade plywood at a minimum, but I'm not that fond of that either. Steel or aluminum square tube please.

• April
    3 years ago

Thank you for clarifying what I’m looking at. Have you seen this before? Should it have this unfinished look? Is there a way to make it look nicer or can you offer suggestion? I’d appreciate your thoughts on this.

• pittsburrito
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Here is an example of what an overhang underside might look like, when done correctly:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qMiPWTfjeb5wY4iN9
    Metal, not wood.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

" Have you seen this before?" Yes. "Should it have this unfinished look?" No. "Is there a way to make it look nicer or can you offer suggestion?" Seal and paint it.

• April
    3 years ago

Thank you. I appreciate your insight. Warmest

• April
    3 years ago

Thank you @pittsburrito

• HU-708496333
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Same problem...

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

HU:

Do you have a sunken living room or some other way for people other than your housecleaner to see this writing? Soak a rag in acetone and have at it please.

• carrierebekah
    last year

@Joseph Corlett, LLC what would you use to seal the underside of quartz?

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    last year

Quartz doesn’t get sealed, unless you mean quartzite…

• carrierebekah
    last year

@HALLETT & Co. @Joseph Corlett, LLC suggested in order to hide an unsightly underside of a quartz counter overhang (in my case i have storage cabinets underneath and I can see what looks like several large orange rust stains) to seal and paint it. since it is not the finished top, but rough and unfinished do you need the sealer he recommended to get any paint to adhere?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

You wouldn't want to apply Tenax Quartz Toner before painting the underside of engineered stone.