Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cottonpenny_gw

Stacked cabinets in one part of kitchen

cottonpenny
12 years ago

Cost to do stacked cabs (18" on top of 30") in my kitchen looks to be about $3500 above the cost of getting 42" cabs and running the trim to the ceiling. I do love the stacked look, but that's a lot of money.

Would it look odd if I only did the stacked on one wall? Thinking of my clean up sink wall, which is just 4 cabs so would be substantially less (though not sure exactly how much less).

Comments (6)

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

I know I am not answering your question, but have you considered getting 42" cabs (one box), but put two doors on them? That is what we did; way less than true stacked cab. There is a fixed shelf at the spot where the doors meet.

• cottonpenny
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Angie - do you have photos? Our KD said that would look funny because the cabinets above the fridge and the ovens would not be the same height as the upper door on these, KWIM? That's why I was thinking of doing this on our clean up sink wall only - so the oven and fridge wouldn't be right next to it...

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

Sorry, I thought your concern was about money. No photos available yet, although I am getting close. In my case, the fridge is on its own wall, surrounded by some pantry cabinets. And you are right, the border between lower and higher cabs are not the same on this wall as the rest of the kitchen. In my case, that does not matter, because they are not adjacent. It looks just fine.

I think your plan of doing them only on one wall also sounds fine.

• cottonpenny
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sounds great, Angie! I look forward to seeing your photos...

It is about $$$ - doing it on a smaller section of cabinets + the "faux stacked" with the 2 doors on one cabinet will save money. If I had all the money in the world, I'd just do the real stacked...

• CEFreeman
    12 years ago

Cottonpenny, so make them the same as the other cabinets.

I have 2, 42" cabs.
    I put a horizontal mullion of 3" (because face frames are 1.5" wide) in them in line with the top of the 30" cabinets, and where the bottom of a cabinet on top of them would be.
    Then I put doors on them.
    They look exactly the same as the other cabinets.
    And they look exactly like the stacked cabinets they now are.

I can also use them as separate cabinets, because of the shelf which I fixed as the bottom/top of the cabinet.

This isn't as tough as they're all making it sound.
    A little imagination helps.

Christine

• lascatx
    12 years ago

I would carry them all to the ceiling, and if they are all the same style and finish, I would do the same treatment on them all. If you do one wall or area stacked, it should have other features that are also different -- finish, door style, glass or no glass -- something to define it differently or it probably will look like a near miss.