Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leaf29_gw

Glass backsplash (not glass tile) Questions - thanks!

leaf29
15 years ago

We want to use tempered glass for backsplash. Not tiles - but sheets of glass. I have 4 questions.

1) How much of a pain is it to keep clean? Do you end up seeing every little spot?

2) Does glass reflect too much light or glare?

3) 2) Does anyone have a tempered glass backsplash behind a stove? Any thoughts on its durability with heat? (DH _loves_ those high BTU burners)

4) How do you attach clear glass to a wall? Most of the clips I've seen are for mirrors, and the screw would show through the glass (not quite the clean look we are going for...). Of course there are those plastics clips that held up the mirrors in the house I grew up in, but I'd love to find something else. I know that cool clips exist, but the only ones I've found on the internet are $30 (inc shipping) for a set of 4. Since (I need 7 sets, that'll come out to be more expensive than the glass was.)

Thanks so much!!

Comments (16)

• palimpsest
    15 years ago

I have an entire backsplash that is one sheet of glass. It is painted the wall color on the back, not clear. Clear will cast shadows on the wall behind. It is Starfire glass (ultra clear so it does not give the wall color a green cast.)

It goes behind the stove and sink, it has not been a problem.

It will reflect the bulbs of the undercounter lighting from certain low angles. Not when you are in the kitchen.

I used a regular piece of glass only behind the range in a client's house and it looks green, compared to the real wallcolor. She is messy, but it only looks dirty when its really dirty.

Mine is held in place by close fit and clear caulk, the client's is held in by two mirror clips that tuck in the space next to the underside of the rangehood,since it is Only behind the stove.

• krissd
    15 years ago

mindstorm- I just checked out your photos. The glass backsplash is phenomenal. I am jealous. Leaf29-good luck.

• debbie_2008
    15 years ago

I've never heard of this. Mindstorm its beautiful!

• leaf29
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank You!!!

Palimpsest - your description of how to do this is perfect!

Mindstorm - what a gorgeous kitchen!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

(sorry for the delay in responding - I ended up having to travel unexpectedly...)

• kitchenredo2
    15 years ago

What a great look! I love it.

Palimpsest and Mindstorm - Where did you get your glass? I am guessing Home Depot isn't going to be the best source.

Thanks!

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

Am curious as to how an installer deals with outlets/light switches, wall irregularities.

Am also wondering about cost.

There is another thread with glass backsplash discussion of a cracked one. Comment?

Am dealing with two lengths of abt 10 feet under cabinet, but with range area in one and a window in another. And a number of outlets and switch plates.

• PRO
    Wolverine Glass Products
    8 years ago

Wolverine Glass Products, Inc supplies Krystal Kolours, it looks great when used as a back splash. We can cut out areas for light switches/outlets. We do not install. WolverineGlassProducts.com

• fwcor
    8 years ago

Google "back painted glass" and your city and you should get some options. At least where I am (DC metro area) the prices varied wildly. All of my outlets are under cabinet, but i understand the glass folks simply cut out the outlets and polish the edges, just as the edges at the end of a counter run are polished to a smooth finish. My glass has little tiny notches cut out for the wire for the under cab plugs. Best of luck.

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

fwcor, who did your backpainted glass?

• mollyshumom
    7 years ago

Fwcor, we are in Annapolis and searching for someone with experience to fabricate and install a back painted glass backsplash in our kitchen. Who did yours?

• Noshir Dubash
    6 years ago

I am looking for a company to to this, however it is hard in phoenix. I found one company which charges 100sq feet. Now, I found another ones in the US for 25-35 square feet. I will be getting a quote pretty soon.

• nosoccermom
    6 years ago

You can buy tempered glass online, incl. cut-outs.

• Herman Ong
    6 years ago

may you elaborate where can i buy it?

• mollyshumom
    6 years ago

We are in Annapolis, MD and contacted local glass companies for quotes. We chose Bel Pre Glassworks, Inc., in Rockville, MD 20850, 301-948-6003 A representative came to our house and measured. When one of the panels delivered was a little off, they redid it. My advice is to choose a local company with experience with this type of product & installation that will stand behind their product if it is not exactly right.

• dtdoff
    3 years ago

Does the wall behind the glass have to be smooth. I’ve removed old tiles and plastered the holes but it’s not smooth.

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living