Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rebeccamomof123

Gray or white subway tile with this granite?

rebeccamomof123
11 years ago

The granite is called White Ice here in New England. The photo doesn't do it justice - it's a creamy background with cookies and cream and mocha colored movement/undertones. The tile looks more green than grey in the photo for some reason, but it's called graystone and is definitely in the "graige" family.

My cabinets will be Shaker white dove by Kraftmaid. Which do you like better? I'll post the other picture in the next comment field because I don't know how to post multiple photos.

Thanks for your help!

Comments (13)

• rebeccamomof123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And here it is with a creamy white subway that matches my cabinets...

Did I mention I need to decide today or tomorrow since my cabinets go in on 3/13 and the tile takes 10 days to special order.

• cathy725
    11 years ago

Do you have a sample of your cabinet to compare the tile with? I like the white in the 2nd photo which just pops.

I'm trying to figure out backsplash too. Reno doesn't start until the 22nd, but I want to have at least an idea by then!

• ellendi
    11 years ago

The white looks too stark next to the granite. Hard to judge on my monitor but if the gray matches the tones in the granite, I would go with that.
    Your eyes will go from the white to the gray which will then blend with the multi gray and cream in the counter.

• kiko_gw
    11 years ago

Looking on my phone, I'd say I like the first one. But seeing your cabinet color too would be best. I need to make a similar decision too for our kitchen.

• rebeccamomof123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Unfortunately I don't have a cabinet door sample. wish I did. It's KraftMaid's Dove White, which is more creamy than gray because Kraftmaid Canvas is their more grayish white. Here is a picture of it - but that's not my kitchen or granite. I think with my granite, I could go either way.

Cathy - I'm so excited to hear you have a date for the reno to start! Ours has gone surprisingly quickly! I actually was not ready to start making decisions on this stuff, but things are moving so fast that I have to get the tile order in this week in order to keep up with my GC. In the first week, they gutted the kitchen completely, got the plumbing and electrical all set up and installed the heat source for my toe-kick heaters. Yesterday, they laid the hardwood (in ONE day!) and today they are starting to drywall. He says by the end of the week hell be painting already.

• done_again_2
    11 years ago

I agree that the white is too stark compared to the granite. The first tile looks better to me. I don't see a lot of actual white in the granite but it could be the quality of the picture on my monitor.

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

Ask Kraftmaid for a sample. Shenandoah sent me a free (extra) drawer front, (the smallest drawer I had). I carried it everywhere I went to match things. I could not have picked out anything without it.

• williamsem
    11 years ago

Between those two, the first one. The white is such a contrast it makes the granite look kinda dingy, where the first one blends with it better.

Sounds like we have some more reveals coming soon! I've almost settled on a tile, though my demo doesn't start until 4/29. Hope things go smoothly for you!

• ginny20
    11 years ago

I like the gray better, based on what the picture looks like on my screen.

• annac54
    11 years ago

I kind of like the gray better, but there's always a chance the color looks better/worse because of the monitor.

Any reason you can't wait till the countertop is in and then see which one you like better? Many people wait months/years before picking a backsplash.

Very pretty granite. Please post pictures when you can.

• sanjuangirl
    11 years ago

The gray looks gorgeous with it. Your eye just blends it perfectly. I think the Dove White look great with it!

• function_first
    11 years ago

Another vote for the gray -- looks like it matches some of the medium tones in the granite's pattern.

• lolauren
    11 years ago

I vote for the white, but I wouldn't like the darkness of the gray personally. I like things bright and light, not... gloomy. To each their own. :)