Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilikepie20

Kitchen layout help

Megan Lopez
11 years ago

Hi all,

I'm a first time poster, but have been referencing this forum for a while for our whole-house remodel and it is so helpful!

Anyway, I have a problem with our kitchen layout and am hoping you can help. I was hoping to put a wall oven/micro combo on the wall to the left of the sink at the very edge of the counter. Our kitchen designer is saying that it will make you feel closed off while at the sink, and I'm wondering what you think. The other option is to have a range in the existing cook top location with either a drawer micro on the island, or a regular micro.....well, somewhere, haven't decided where yet. Any ideas? TIA!!

Comments (7)

• Megan Lopez
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think I should mention that we have 2 small children and use the microwave daily, and oven at least once a week (mostly we use the cook top). My preference is to have a wall oven because I don't want to bend down, but my hubby isn't too interested in feeling closed in.

• cnherrick
    11 years ago

My kitchen remodel looks almost precisely like yours (scary!) and my double wall-oven is going where you are thinking of putting yours (without a microwave), so I don't see the "closed off" as a problem. Our microwave will be a large counter-top and will sit in a cabinet surface somewhere, which means losing counter surface but gives us the ability to move it around without deconstruction.

Believe me, with an over in the wall, you will never miss that bending down. Why not put the microwave built into a vent hood?

• herbflavor
    11 years ago

..probably do something with pantry area...insert microwave at about 52-54 in up from floor in a niche and you'll have pantry above and below. Separate cooktop vs range is personal preference. I'd skooch island sink over so it's across from fridge....you can certainly put below counter oven in island....but range is fine too.Why is the corridor between island and window run half the depth of island and fridge aisle? I'd fix that/ which means a smaller island it appears, so the whole thing should be looked at a little closer and make sure you get all the storage you need..which might mean a range so you can get as many drawers in island as poss. Maybe a rectangular island is better,running top to bottom in your sketch.But if you are planning people mostly pass around the right side of island and leave the cook alone at window area,okay then,.but really push the island sink over,or center it.

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

Avoid putting the mw above the cook top.

• Megan Lopez
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions.
    cnherrick - we are kitchen buddies! Not a huge fan of putting microwave above the cook top. I'm always afraid i'm going to lean over and catch myself on fire! :) I'm glad to know you don't think the oven will make you feel closed in.

herbflavor-I totally agree that the kitchen sink should be moved over! I didn't even consider that, but i will want to prep stuff from the fridge. It is more useful over there. The island shape, yes...I'm still thinking about that. The shape is left over from a previous design where the pantry was a walk in and had a full size swinging door to contend with. The architect wants the island to line up with the wall to the right (not seen), but I agree it looks a little funny. I have to figure out what to do with that.

Any other opinions about the wall oven to the left of the kitchen sink making you feel closed off?

Thank you again!

• robo (z6a)
    11 years ago

To me it's not the tall cabinet blocking the sink per se but the tall cabinet SO CLOSE to the sink. You won't have very much elbow room to the left of the sink after you get an oven in there.

For something you use so infrequently...I can see your KD's point. But I've never had back trouble, I bet I'd change my mind in a hurry if I did.

• Megan Lopez
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We have room to move that window over a bit. What distance between the oven and sink would be acceptable do you think?

I just saw a kitchen reveal that had a narrow pantry 90 degrees to the fridge. Maybe moving the fridge over into the existing pantry area will allow me to have a wall oven over there. Shoot, I'll keep playing............