Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momof8591_gw

Help with floor plan.

momof8591
11 years ago

I am just in the planning stages of my addition the I am waiting on the guy that I want to build .I am on a budget and think the more I know what I want the better it will be for him to estimate accurately. Any Ideas or criticism is appreciated.Thanks.
1The bar is 24 " drawer bases with a 18" dropped over hang. Is the bar in too big of space? Is the bar too long?Will it look funny.(I need wall support at both ends I think.)I have two china cabinets that was my Grams that I need to put somewhere I could use them in here.I can take out the closet A but what would I do with the area. Would setting at the bar make you think you were staring at a wall ?I want a big bar/island .Any Ideas?
2 Is the kitchen pantry area odd or workable ? (The refrigerator being placed like I have it to support the beam that runs thru the house .)
3 In the office and bathroom /mud room area am I wide enough? Would two extra feet of width make a big difference?
4 Is the dining room table in too large of area??
Thanks.

Comments (5)

• annkh_nd
    11 years ago

What does the existing kitchen look like? To me your plan looks long, skinny, and chopped up, and doesn't flow very well (but I'm in no way an expert). So what you're adding is the bedroom and office space, plus dining room? I don't see a closet in the new bedroom. Where does the door at the bottom of the office go outside?

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

Additions can be so difficult. You don't want it to look 'tacked on' but you also have to work with the existing layout.

Do you have a drawing of the current layout of your home? I would post it...along with your proposed changes, on the Remodeling forum and/or Building a Home forum.

Those people can be very direct, so be prepared for some of the criticisms to seem a little harsh...but it's difficult to convey a smile, squeeze of the hand and 'it just not going to work' in writing. They all mean well and just disregard anything that sounds a bit abrupt and focus on the helpful comments. Hope that helps :)

• momof8591
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well as the saying goes you cant make a silk purse out of a sows ear.This house has no resale value (or would a nice house is is in too rural of location,but it is our home that is our forever home.
    I was trying too improve upon it by not tearing out the kitchen that I put cabinets in 3 years along the west and south wall. The area to the east is a bedroom now and I was in the plan making a storage area with a walk in pantry is this too odd?.I know it will never be perfect.The big problem is the walls that I have to stay for access to the area that has the water heater ect. Maybe I just need to leave it a bedroom and find a solution someplace other than this.
    Yes, the door goes outside in the office area
    I haven't put a closet in the bed room yet.
    The drawing shows all the house except a bedroom and a bathroom to the west of the livingroom area.I cant build any but out to the east.

• momof8591
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Is this more workable?I removed part of the wall and took a pantry area and put the tall pullouts in the old closet area..Will that long of Island look odd? Thanks for any input.

• momof8591
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Is this more workable?I removed part of the wall and took a pantry area and put the tall pullouts in the old closet area..Will that long of Island look odd? Thanks for any input.