Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marcolo_gw

WARNING: Visual Comfort Lighting

marcolo
13 years ago

I tried to update my old thread on the topic, but the forum won't bump it.

So, to sum up, let me quote myself:

I know a lot of you use Visual Comfort lights, especially those going for a Christopher Peacock look. Visual Comfort makes most of the pieces you see on Circa lighting.

I want to warn you that if you're going to buy a Visual Comfort light, be prepared. I have a houseful of VC lighting, and have experienced problem after problem with the quality control.

- Two sconces arrived with bent candles. My electricians were only partly successful in straightening them.

- Two sconces arrived with badly mismatched shades--much darker than the others

- A large percentage of shades arrived with weird blotches all over them

- Two sconces were manufactured with bolts that protruded to different lengths on the back; my electricians had to saw them evenly to install the fixtures upright

- The clover-shaped ceiling fixture glass cracked immediately upon installation. The electrician ordered another, with all the part numbers etc. correct, and after a long delay VC sent the wrong glass entirely. They are taking their sweet leisurely time sending a new one. I'm talking months.

Today--to top it off--the reason why I'm writing this post: One of the shades on the fretwork sconces over my fireplace suddenly wrinkled badly. It looks like ____!! Not only is the correct bulb installed, but it's on a dimmer and virtually never operates at full power.

Worst of all, VC has been very unresponsive to my lighting store and everything takes FOREVER. Literally MONTHS have gone by waiting for them to replace shades and the cracked glass. The woman at my lighting store leaves messages, and no one returns her call for days, or sometimes ever.

Here's what I wrote today on the other thread--the one that didn't bump:

The nightmare continues.

As you can see from the thread above, I first received my defective VC shades last year--two of the supposedly "matching" shades are a dark, grotty color, completely different from the other shades. I have waited four months for replacements.

Today--March 16-- I got an email from the lighting store.

VC has just changed the inventory report to show that the replacement shades now have "no date" on them. No plans to make more. No concern about owing customers replacements. La la la. We're too important, we're "artists." Who are you? We're going to go wank ourselves now.

Coincidentally, a designer showed me a VC table lamp that might look good in my living room. LOL! Sorry, I only plan to live here about 20 years, it won't arrive by then.

Buyer beware. There are other good brands out there. Do you want to hold up a completed kitchen reno waiting for your light fixtures until next year? Or worse--forever?

Comments (35)

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

Geez Marcolo! What a mess. Somehow I missed the other thread so I appreciate this warning. Hope you finally get everything fixed soon.

• Circus Peanut
    13 years ago

I have to confess that I really enjoy Marcolo's grumpy rants. ...is that wrong?

For a great lighting company with whom I've had stellar experiences, check out Schoolhouse Electric out of Portland, Oregon.

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

uuoohhhhh! How about a headlamp? All my DB's have those. You might need to wear some special "cut gloves" on your hands though, JIC.

• marcolo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I don't care what it is, as long as it doesn't come from Visual Comfort.

Excuse me, I'm busy planning something that involves a road trip to New York State, a large dog, five pounds of refried beans, and two extra-strength plastic garbage bags.

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

After you're done on that coast, drive my way. I know a fireplace installer than needs your kind of company.

• marcolo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Maybe I should start a business. I can start small with one dog, then eventually work up to a full-building termite tent and a cement mixer.

• warmfridge
    13 years ago

Sorry to hear you're having continued problems, Marcolo. I had the opposite experience with VC. My fixtures arrived promptly, were easy to install per my electricians, and are looking gorgeous 6 months later.

• marcolo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm glad you were lucky, warmfridge. My lighting store is now steering people away from VC, and not only because of my experience.

• marthavila
    13 years ago

Marcolo, will your trip to New York state include any time in New York City? We could have another NYC TKO get together -- this time with you as the honored guest, you know! (Hint, hint)

• marcolo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sounds great, marthavila! But I think the Mount Vernon PD will probably remand me to a jail in Westchester. ;-)

• marthavila
    13 years ago

Well, the Mount Vernon PD is always welcome to join us, ya know! But, ok. I get it and won't push. (Of course, that doesn't necessarily stop others from weighing in on the details of your trip itinerary). lol Whatever you do, hope you have a wonderful time in our great state!

• sweetandrew
    12 years ago

Yikes...I just ok'd our designer to order 2 pendants from Visual Comfort (the yoke pendants in polished nickel -- anyone have 'em?) and am in the process of picking out 2 VC sconces for our kitchen as well. I live in a city with a Circa Lighting store (it is my understanding that Circa Lighting = Visual Comfort) and was really impressed with the quality of the fixtures in person and had a good customer service experience in the store. But now I'm worried about bad customer service from HQ...

• laxfanmom
    12 years ago

i also had a bad experience with VC. I placed my first order with them at the beginning of January. Was notified 2 weeks later that those pendants wouldn't be produced until late May. Okay, I don't want to wait. I picked different pendants. Was told they were in stock. Went back 2 months later to inquire about them and they say they will not be produced until May??? I say, but I could've had my first choice if I wanted to wait until May! Anyway, decide not to change back to the first. Went into the store last week to have them check on them ("they're coming soon, right?") and VC says they will now be produced sometime in July!!! I say, NO WAY, cancel the order, I will find something else! Somehow, think miracle, they say we will find some and ship them to you now. And they DID IT!!! But, if they could have done that why didn't they do it 3 months ago???

in the end I have my pendants and they are beautiful (although they arrived absolutely filthy and I had to wash all the glass as my electrician wouldn't touch them). Would I order from them again? Probably not.

• aliris19
    12 years ago

Circuspeanut - I'll join you in the peanut gallery; I love reading this stuff. Misery really enjoys a good hearty chuckling sort of company.

• marcolo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am still waiting for my mismatched shades to be replaced. Some are off-white, some are dirty light beige, like a newspaper that has sat in the sun. VC simply changed the delivery to "no date." Don't want to bother. I've informed the lighting store that we will be filing in small claims. Of course we will need all the shades to match, so this will prove quite pricey to the retailer or VC. I would report them to BBB, but no one looks at or believes their ratings anyway.

Circa Lighting is a retailer, that's all. They have nothing to do with VC AFAIK other than getting product from them.

• warmfridge
    12 years ago

Marcolo,
    I would go ahead with the BBB. They may be able to help you resolve the problem. And I always look at BBB info about unknown companies...I'm sure others do as well.

• kitchennovice44
    12 years ago

File with the BBB AND the Attorney General's office - they're based in NY, right? Based upon my experience, the BBB is drastically different state to state in terms of effectiveness. I filed a BBB report in NY and had great success with a very stubborn company trying to rip me off. The BBB there filed it promptly and kept the dialogue going between me and company. I also reported to NY AG - and they were wonderful. Opened a claim right away...it's a very consumer-friendly state overall.

Now if you have a problem with a company in FLA...just hang it up! It's the wild west out here for consumers. You're out of luck. This state's BBB and AG are the WORST. I had a problem with a couple of firms...BBB won't respond, you never see your reports filed...and they don't reply back to any emails. AG won't do a thing either...just send you a form letter telling you to report it to fed agencies. They basically bail out on consumers completely. It's amazing how diff the experience is state to state.

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

I know where you can buy a used cement mixer...probably anyway.

• ruskin2
    8 years ago

Don't even think about ordering from these people. They string you along as if they will "make it right" but months pass and they only give you lip service. I have a very expensive light that on which the diffuser DOES NOT FIT.

• LE
    8 years ago

Whoa! I was just considering whether or not I wanted to drop the $$$ on a table lamp that I thought was very beautiful in the photo. But I have a low tolerance for bad customer support, so that could tip the balance...

• daisychain Zn3b
    8 years ago

Oh, great. I just ordered 4 grand worth of lights from VC

• romy718
    8 years ago

i bought 2 sets of sconces, 2 pendants & a chandelier from VC. No issues & everything was in perfect condition.

• Iowacommute
    8 years ago

Since a couple of people have already bumped this up...I miss Marcolo.

• cluelessincolorado
    8 years ago

Me too iowacommute, I keep hoping...

• PRO
    Lindsay MacRae Interiors, LLC
    8 years ago

What is the deal? This is supposed to be a reputable brand. I see VC fixtures in so many designer show houses. I love the style of their fixtures but I am fed up!! I just had problems with three orders in a row. I ordered E.F. Chapman lamps that would not stand up on their own, a Barbara Barry lamp that was missing a halo, and now buffet lamps that have a malfunctioning switch. I cannot keep specifying these lamps if they aren't going to arrive in good condition.

• weezel
    8 years ago

I thought I'd take a quick look see on VC....oh my goodness I'd be livid to pay that much and not have perfection!!!

• A
    8 years ago

Bad. I am sitting next to 2 boxes packed for return to Visual Comfort. One is a terrible floor lamp that burned out two bulbs in less than an hour and was so flimsy that I was scared to move it. The second is a chandelier that is not as adjustable as it was made out to be and when I called to ask to buy additional parts to extend it myself I was not treated well.

• Donna Burns
    7 years ago

May 2016. Have an E F Chapman quartz chandelier in polished chrome that is several thousand dollars installed for about a month. It's turning like a cheap piece of jewelry. I will contact the company this week. Not looking forward to it. Don't have time for it. I'm a designer that goes through a lighting company to order. Visual Comfort is not designer friendly in Tennessee. I have to go through 2 hoops to get this sitution rectified. That is a hardship for this one woman show...and I'm such the cheerleader for the company. I also have Thomas O'Brien pendant lights in brass that I waited 6 months for. They were completely worth it. You'll walk into the home they are in in twenty years and think they were just installed. They are of high quality and timeless.

• cender
    7 years ago

Thank you very much to all of you who have taken the time to comment on Visual Comfort. I love the styles of their fixtures but have no tolerance for poor quality or inadequate customer service. I have 6 different fixtures on my spec. list for a custom home. YIKES, you all saved my A.. and probably kept me out of jail. HaHa. If you are interested in fine craftsmanship in lighting fixtures, and don't mind spending the big bucks (which is definitely a VC requirement) try Fine Art Lamps. Gorgeous.

• pdsjls
    5 years ago

Recently installed a pair of wall mounted bedside lamps with mismatched shades. One of the shades was a very light cream and the other very yellow, must have been a different dye lot. I was told that I could try ordering another pair, but there was no guarantee that I would get a matching pair. They suggested going to a lamp shade store and having them covered. The shades are paper, so not too expensive, but it is very disappointing & frustrating that they aren't more detail orientated.

• M. Tvedten
    5 years ago

TERRIBLE. They are no help when you need them to assist with the quality control or have questions.

Warning also for using Foundray Lighting in NYC. Useless and very frustrating!

dont order from either of these companies. I spent an hour and a half trying to get an extension for a pendant light, complete nightmare!

• fullerdentistrymidlothianiajpckae
    5 years ago

I have a similarly frustrating experience with Visual Comfort. I ordered the Arabelle flush mount fixture last spring through a local design company in Richmond, VA, called Williams Sherrill. It finally arrived mid summer WITHOUT the glass diffuser. After multiple attempts through Williams Sherrill who appears to have thrown up their hands in defeat, I tried to contact the company directly. They refuse to talk to me because I'm just the customer, not in "the trade". Best answer I can get from owner of Williams Sherrill is it will(maybe) be here in December. "They have none in stock and must have another made in China". Really?

• gigi1993
    5 years ago

This and another thread just saved me a couple thousand dollars. Was ready to order several Visual Comfort fixtures - not now! Thanks all.

• Jojo L
    4 years ago

I have had a light on order for 6 months. Continual "push out" emails month after MONTH!