Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kinei

1920s bungalow kitchen remodel in progress

kinei
10 years ago

First off, thank you gardenweb community for all the information and knowledge posted on this forum. Without this site we would have been lost. This has been so far a long process 9 months or so in the works. Extension/full gut. We cannot wait until it is complete in 2-3 weeks.

Cabinets are custom made, inset modified shaker style
BM simply white and nobhill sage. Upper cabinets will have glass doors to match the grid pattern on the windows.

Counters will be white macaubas quartzite

Progress pictures (I don't have any good shots of the kitchen before any demo, it is on my dslr and I have not had a chance to go through them).

Kitchen in the background. View from the living/family room. Living/dining/kitchen will all be opened up to one room.

lathe and plaster down

kitchen floor being leveled

painted

Plumbing and floor going in

Cabs going in

Island drawer stack

Built in (open shelving at sides with TV area center top)

Crown in

This post was edited by kinei on Wed, Mar 5, 14 at 13:45

Comments (60)

• kinei
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks rockybird and beautybutdebtfree. We kind of went with a green theme for the house. The walls are grey with a hint of green. Only shows the green in the right light. The stained concrete on the new part is a deeper green with amber and walnut.

• threegraces
    10 years ago

Beautiful, I just can't wait to see the final project!

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

Looks lovely!
    I think it was really wise to do the built-ins! I think you might always have wished that you'd done it -- and you were so right!

What exactly is a "modified Shaker?"
    There's Shakier, Cottage, then other door style names. Because with modifications, they're no longer Shaker. So... A close-up?!?

They look beautiful.

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

Your space is looking fabulous! I particularly love the island and back of cabinets color. Your cabinets look really fantastic and the space seems so open now. I can't wait to see the finished product.

• kinei
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks threegraces. Us too, we have the quartzite going in today.

CEFreeman, the cabinest just have a 1/4 round trim added. I am not sure what to call it, This was done to match our existing doors in the house (and old built-in). If you look at the island picture you can see the little bit or trim on the drawers.

Our house had a built-in separating the dining room and kitchen. That built in has been the inspiration behind a lot of the house. It had glass uppers with that prairie style grid pattern. We did all the windows in the house to have the same grid pattern. It is also what we are doing on the glass uppers in the kitchen.

Pricklypearcactus, we could not believe how different it looked ourselves when the drywall was in.

This post was edited by kinei on Thu, Mar 6, 14 at 11:57

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

It's just amazing the workmanship put into this era's homes.
    Do you happen to know if yours is a Sear's Kit Home?
    C.

• kinei
    Original Author
    10 years ago

After looking it up I am pretty sure it is not a Sear's home.
    We do know that the stucco on the house as not always been there. I am unsure when it was done though.

Here is a picture of the house when the new coat of stucco was being floated on the house.

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

Beautiful kitchen, I just love the color. Looks sweet and original.

• stealthecrumbs
    10 years ago

I am loving this kitchen. I especially like how you painted the inside of the cabinets a contrasting color. I cannot wait to see the finished kitchen.

• nmjen
    10 years ago

This is definitely on its way to being a very beautiful, soothing space--love the cabinetry and colors! And that built-in--what a great use of space.

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

Oh, what a gorgeous home! I LOVE the lines of it and those A&C windows are a wonderful touch!

Sooooooo pretty.
    Your kitchen will be the icing on the cake. :)

• kinei
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@robotropolis, belleva, bakerjen
    Thanks, our countertops went on yesterday. We were both a little apprehensive after they went on. We think the colors looked better before the countertops went on.

@CEFreeman, we are going for a classic mixed with some modern elements. We are doing a flush mounted stainless apron sink instead of a porcelain apron. Also will have stainless behind the range but 2x8 subway on the rest of the back splash.

Here is a picture from yesterday

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

Oh, how lovely.
    I am feeling a twinge of house envy, which is very unusual for me. :)
    Can't wait for final product!

• 1929Spanish
    10 years ago

Very nice. Love the green!

• tuxedord2
    10 years ago

"...we think the colors looked better before they went on..."

Countertop shock? The colors, the counters, the cabinets are all perfect!

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 years ago

I adore the color of your walls.

I am so glad that you preserved some elements of the original layout in the windows and upper cabinets. Those details count so much in the attractiveness of those homes.

The counter does seem to emphasize the "mintyness" of your green, but it is fine. You will get to like it soon I bet.

• deedles
    10 years ago

That's so pretty with the green inside the cabs. I think the counters look wonderful in there! Very nice!

• infinitylounge
    10 years ago

It looks like the kitchen is coming together awesome, but I am in love with the exterior! What a pretty house.

• kinei
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@CEFreeman, funny I get that often on this site.

@1929spanish and deedles, all the positive comments on the green is definitely reassuring.

@lesmobo, yes I think I read about that on here before. haha

@raee, thanks we tried. We also are doing octagonal glass knobs on all our door knobs in the house. Octagonal glass knobs on all our cabinets as well.

@smallhouse, thanks that front porch is new as well. It was dry rotted though so we had to redo it. We decided to tile it with a Brazilian slate.

• kinei
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Today's progress

This post was edited by kinei on Wed, Mar 19, 14 at 13:54

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

I love it! The green is so calming! What a great idea for the interiors!
    Keep those pictures coming!
    Those uppers are amazing!

• kinei
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, we were extremely happy with the upper doors. The contractor will be doing the backsplash on Monday. The cabinet maker well be coming by on Wednesday to do the final touch ups.

• blackchamois
    10 years ago

Looking great! Can't wait tonsee the finished product!

• blackchamois
    10 years ago

Looking great! Can't wait to see the finished product!

• kinei
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Blackhamois, here is a picture of some of the backsplash going in. Bottom is grouted, top is not.

This post was edited by kinei on Wed, Mar 19, 14 at 13:51

• canuckplayer
    10 years ago

I love those craftsman glass doors. If/when I reno, I am copying them (I've already saved them to my "dream" file).
    Please keep posting pics, so we can follow the progress too (and I can steal more ideas, lol).

• canuckplayer
    10 years ago

I love those craftsman glass doors. If/when I reno, I am copying them (I've already saved them to my "dream" file).
    Please keep posting pics, so we can follow the progress too (and I can steal more ideas, lol).

• kinei
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks canuckplayer.

Here is a picture of the built in. We have some usb plugs for a charging station on the center area below the tv. The shelves are adjustable plus or minus one inch right now. If we anted to adjust them more in the future we could always drill more holes.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Some of your photos in this thread are not available.

• kinei
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry I accidentally deleted some photos. They should be up now.

• Mags438
    10 years ago

Shaping up to be a fantastic kitchen. Can't wait to see finished product. I love the painted interiors. Great idea!

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 years ago

Looking through this thread again brought to mind the first house that I can remember living in. It was a "dutch colonial" build not sure when, but very likely before 1925 since an adjacent, later neighborhood was built in 1929. My family lived there in the late 50's. Anyway, I remember that it had a lot of built ins -- bookshelves, cupboards, china cabinet, blanket chests; the shelves were painted like yours -- white with an interior color

• kinei
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mags438, thanks. We are getting excited. We are almost finished.

Raee, that is very interesting. Glad what we chose may actually fit in well with that era.

Updated pictures
    Microwave hide away

Dishwasher, a 9/16" gap was needed per fisher paykel. It matches the stack of drawers to the right.

This post was edited by kinei on Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 16:50

• Emily Saba
    10 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! I love the knobs and all the details.

• bicyclegirl1
    10 years ago

I missed this one...how?! Absolutely beautiful & love how you've kept the feel of the house consistent. The colors are so soothing & the knobs are perfect. I can't wait to see the finals. Thanks for the progress pictures...fun!

• schicksal
    10 years ago

I'm confused, where are the controls for the DW? Cool knobs and green cabinets though!

• dilly_ny
    10 years ago

Wow! Beautiful kitchen. Love your tv nook. Enjoy!

• loyalandtrue
    10 years ago

I love your new kitchen! I have spent countless hours on this site anonymously celebrating everyone's successes and agonizing over the disappointments. So glad that you have a great success!

My husband and I are going to pick out a slab of sea pearl today for our remodel. The bones of our kitchen are fine so we are just repainting cabinets, replacing the hideous formica, and finally installing the BS range that has been sitting in the garage since November!

Anyway, I love your knobs and would like to know where you got them or the name of the manufacturer. I can almost hear the gasps---what? glass knobs with sea pearl?/?--- but I am a little eccentric (everyone family needs an eccentric and I embrace that role!!!) I think I might give them a try!

I just noticed your faucet-what is it?

• kinei
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks emily325, bicyclegirl, and dillyny.

schicksal the controls are on the inside top of the drawers. There is also a remote to pause the cycle.

Loyalandtrue, the knobs believe it or not are from ebay. They come straight from china. I ordered one, liked the quality so I ordered a ton more. here is a link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/16pcs-Octagonal-Knob-Clear-Cabinet-Drawer-Crystal-Glass-Handle-30mm-New-/251155937143?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0amp;hash=item3a7a0f7777

The faucets are from costco. Sometimes they sales on the faucet and the price drops 50 dollars. So far we really like it and it seems like a very good value..

http://www.costco.com/Hansgrohe-Metro%E2%84%A2-HighArc-Kitchen-Faucet-with-2-function-Pull-out-Sprayhead.product.11675569.html

This post was edited by kinei on Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 12:36

• greenhaven
    10 years ago

This is looking marvellous! Thanks for the updates, cannot wait to see the finished product.

• feisty68
    10 years ago

How gorgeous! That kitchen is heaven. I'm excited for you :)

• loyalandtrue
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for the information. I will be ordering the knobs. We don't have Costco where I Iive, but I will look on their website for the faucet.

Peace and joy to you and yours in your beautiful home!

• KBSpider
    10 years ago

This is shaping up very nicely; it's going to be a knockout when you're all done! Can't wait to see more pics...

• peegee
    9 years ago

How about an update and pics of how your gorgeous kitchen is coming along?....please?!

• kinei
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Everything, is pretty much complete. However, I need to take some pictures once we have things a bit more presentable. I worked on a trash pull out yesterday. We've been having an issue finding a trash pull out that would fit the space. One with the apron sink we don't have much height to work with. 2 With a center disposal there was no way two of the same trash cans would fit. There was nothing out of the box that I could install that would fit the space well. This is what I came up with.

Tight fit

doors closed

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

Great solution! We also had a tight trash pullout situation and ended up with an out of the box solution but yours looks much nicer.

Happy to see updates on this beautiful and personal kitchen.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Very lovely kitchen. I love the color, wish I was brave.

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

Can't wait for the reveal! And love your pull-out solution. That is one of my own mid-term projects.

• feisty68
    9 years ago

I love the trash pullout too.

We'll be customizing our pullout too. I bought bins from two different brands to get the best dimensions to maximize our space.

• kinei
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Mags438.

@robotropolis, greenhaven, feisty68
    What did you do or what are you planning on doing? I still need to finish the box by removing the pencil marks and putting a coat of poly on it. But who knows when that will happen.