Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1920s bungalow kitchen remodel in progress

Posted by kinei (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 5, 14 at 13:44

First off, thank you gardenweb community for all the information and knowledge posted on this forum. Without this site we would have been lost. This has been so far a long process 9 months or so in the works. Extension/full gut. We cannot wait until it is complete in 2-3 weeks.

Cabinets are custom made, inset modified shaker style
BM simply white and nobhill sage. Upper cabinets will have glass doors to match the grid pattern on the windows.

Counters will be white macaubas quartzite

Progress pictures (I don't have any good shots of the kitchen before any demo, it is on my dslr and I have not had a chance to go through them).

Kitchen in the background. View from the living/family room. Living/dining/kitchen will all be opened up to one room.
 photo 2013-11-19174142_zpse8bae189.jpg

photo 2013-11-19174131_zps53a34cc6.jpg

lathe and plaster down
 photo 2013-11-22164133_zpse359436f.jpg

kitchen floor being leveled
 photo 2013-11-26184512_zpsad8badfb.jpg

photo 2013-11-28105018_zpsf0dbf3ae.jpg

painted
 photo 2014-01-18103237_zpsa3a76aae.jpg

Plumbing and floor going in
 photo 2014-01-27165018_zpse44f592a.jpg

Cabs going in
 photo 2014-02-20194038_zps8d42fb49.jpg

Island drawer stack
 photo 2014-02-26194000_zps31ba4f5c.jpg

Built in (open shelving at sides with TV area center top)
 photo 2014-02-26211954_zps3036adbe.jpg

Crown in
 photo 2014-02-28072517_zpsb3134c28.jpg

This post was edited by kinei on Wed, Mar 5, 14 at 13:45

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1920s bungalow kitchen remodel in progress

Looking good! Just curious- what are the dimensions of your kitchen? Look forward to more photos!

o

Thanks, the kitchen is only 12' wide (15' long) so the isles are a little tight. Its fine for us but I still do wish it was a foot wider.

o

Is it my monitor or are the insides of your uppers painted sage like the island??? I LOVE IT!!!

o

Mine is 12'x17.5, with doorways similar to yours so I was pleased to see your layout (what I would like to do in mine). I too, wish for another foot but hopefully you will forget about that wish once the kitchen is finished and in use!

o

And... (sorry!) your built-ins bought you more space as well, right? I never thought of doing that. How deep are they? Was it a challenging project or straightforward?
Thanks!

o

dcward89, yes it is painted the same as the island color. The shelving inside will be painted the same as well. We were a little apprehensive about the color but it worked out really well.

redjulie, anything will be better than what I had before. We can't have everything I guess.

o

redjulie, The built in was necessary for space as we do not have a separate pantry area. That wall is a load bearing wall, the contractor needed to place a header in order to do that 7 foot wide opening. The framing took the contractor a couple of days (3 guys). We ate into our daughters bedroom behind the wall for it. The depth of the built-in is 12".

o

I love the colors and your kitchen. Cant wait to see it finished.

o

Thanks for sharing that info.

o

LOVE LOVE LOVE the green!!!

o

Thanks rockybird and beautybutdebtfree. We kind of went with a green theme for the house. The walls are grey with a hint of green. Only shows the green in the right light. The stained concrete on the new part is a deeper green with amber and walnut.

o

Beautiful, I just can't wait to see the final project!

o

Looks lovely!
I think it was really wise to do the built-ins! I think you might always have wished that you'd done it -- and you were so right!

What exactly is a "modified Shaker?"
There's Shakier, Cottage, then other door style names. Because with modifications, they're no longer Shaker. So... A close-up?!?

They look beautiful.

o

Your space is looking fabulous! I particularly love the island and back of cabinets color. Your cabinets look really fantastic and the space seems so open now. I can't wait to see the finished product.

o

Thanks threegraces. Us too, we have the quartzite going in today.

CEFreeman, the cabinest just have a 1/4 round trim added. I am not sure what to call it, This was done to match our existing doors in the house (and old built-in). If you look at the island picture you can see the little bit or trim on the drawers.

Our house had a built-in separating the dining room and kitchen. That built in has been the inspiration behind a lot of the house. It had glass uppers with that prairie style grid pattern. We did all the windows in the house to have the same grid pattern. It is also what we are doing on the glass uppers in the kitchen.

Pricklypearcactus, we could not believe how different it looked ourselves when the drywall was in.

This post was edited by kinei on Thu, Mar 6, 14 at 11:57

o

It's just amazing the workmanship put into this era's homes.
Do you happen to know if yours is a Sear's Kit Home?
C.

o

After looking it up I am pretty sure it is not a Sear's home.
We do know that the stucco on the house as not always been there. I am unsure when it was done though.

Here is a picture of the house when the new coat of stucco was being floated on the house.

photo 2014-01-27165141_zps9f4cc4e6.jpg

o

Beautiful kitchen, I just love the color. Looks sweet and original.

o

I am loving this kitchen. I especially like how you painted the inside of the cabinets a contrasting color. I cannot wait to see the finished kitchen.

o

This is definitely on its way to being a very beautiful, soothing space--love the cabinetry and colors! And that built-in--what a great use of space.

o

Oh, what a gorgeous home! I LOVE the lines of it and those A&C windows are a wonderful touch!

Sooooooo pretty.
Your kitchen will be the icing on the cake. :)

o

@robotropolis, belleva, bakerjen
Thanks, our countertops went on yesterday. We were both a little apprehensive after they went on. We think the colors looked better before the countertops went on.

@CEFreeman, we are going for a classic mixed with some modern elements. We are doing a flush mounted stainless apron sink instead of a porcelain apron. Also will have stainless behind the range but 2x8 subway on the rest of the back splash.

Here is a picture from yesterday
 photo 2014-03-06194552_zps003ba67b.jpg

o

Oh, how lovely.
I am feeling a twinge of house envy, which is very unusual for me. :)
Can't wait for final product!

o

Very nice. Love the green!

o

"...we think the colors looked better before they went on..."

Countertop shock? The colors, the counters, the cabinets are all perfect!

o

I adore the color of your walls.

I am so glad that you preserved some elements of the original layout in the windows and upper cabinets. Those details count so much in the attractiveness of those homes.

The counter does seem to emphasize the "mintyness" of your green, but it is fine. You will get to like it soon I bet.

o

That's so pretty with the green inside the cabs. I think the counters look wonderful in there! Very nice!

o

It looks like the kitchen is coming together awesome, but I am in love with the exterior! What a pretty house.

o

@CEFreeman, funny I get that often on this site.

@1929spanish and deedles, all the positive comments on the green is definitely reassuring.

@lesmobo, yes I think I read about that on here before. haha

@raee, thanks we tried. We also are doing octagonal glass knobs on all our door knobs in the house. Octagonal glass knobs on all our cabinets as well.

@smallhouse, thanks that front porch is new as well. It was dry rotted though so we had to redo it. We decided to tile it with a Brazilian slate.

o

Today's progress
 photo 2014-03-07175547_zps99fbbcbb.jpg

photo 2014-03-07172745_zps85f90c41.jpg

photo 2014-03-07153704_zpsa1f60e18.jpg

This post was edited by kinei on Wed, Mar 19, 14 at 13:54

o

I love it! The green is so calming! What a great idea for the interiors!
Keep those pictures coming!
Those uppers are amazing!

o

Thanks, we were extremely happy with the upper doors. The contractor will be doing the backsplash on Monday. The cabinet maker well be coming by on Wednesday to do the final touch ups.

o

Looking great! Can't wait tonsee the finished product!

o

Looking great! Can't wait to see the finished product!

o

Thanks Blackhamois, here is a picture of some of the backsplash going in. Bottom is grouted, top is not.

photo 2014-03-12195020_zps1fa89644.jpg

This post was edited by kinei on Wed, Mar 19, 14 at 13:51

o

I love those craftsman glass doors. If/when I reno, I am copying them (I've already saved them to my "dream" file).
Please keep posting pics, so we can follow the progress too (and I can steal more ideas, lol).

o

I love those craftsman glass doors. If/when I reno, I am copying them (I've already saved them to my "dream" file).
Please keep posting pics, so we can follow the progress too (and I can steal more ideas, lol).

o

Thanks canuckplayer.

Here is a picture of the built in. We have some usb plugs for a charging station on the center area below the tv. The shelves are adjustable plus or minus one inch right now. If we anted to adjust them more in the future we could always drill more holes.
 photo 2014-03-18212059_zpsce6bd7b9.jpg

o

Some of your photos in this thread are not available.

o

Sorry I accidentally deleted some photos. They should be up now.

o

Shaping up to be a fantastic kitchen. Can't wait to see finished product. I love the painted interiors. Great idea!

o

Looking through this thread again brought to mind the first house that I can remember living in. It was a "dutch colonial" build not sure when, but very likely before 1925 since an adjacent, later neighborhood was built in 1929. My family lived there in the late 50's. Anyway, I remember that it had a lot of built ins -- bookshelves, cupboards, china cabinet, blanket chests; the shelves were painted like yours -- white with an interior color

o

Mags438, thanks. We are getting excited. We are almost finished.

Raee, that is very interesting. Glad what we chose may actually fit in well with that era.

Updated pictures
Microwave hide away
 photo 2014-03-21074906_zps11e8efe7.jpg

photo 2014-03-21074928_zps3fa576cc.jpg

Dishwasher, a 9/16" gap was needed per fisher paykel. It matches the stack of drawers to the right.
 photo 2014-03-21075231_zps36a961ef.jpg

photo 2014-03-21075239_zps17b2ee2c.jpg

This post was edited by kinei on Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 16:50

o

Beautiful kitchen! I love the knobs and all the details.

o

I missed this one...how?! Absolutely beautiful & love how you've kept the feel of the house consistent. The colors are so soothing & the knobs are perfect. I can't wait to see the finals. Thanks for the progress pictures...fun!

o

I'm confused, where are the controls for the DW? Cool knobs and green cabinets though!

o

Wow! Beautiful kitchen. Love your tv nook. Enjoy!

o

I love your new kitchen! I have spent countless hours on this site anonymously celebrating everyone's successes and agonizing over the disappointments. So glad that you have a great success!

My husband and I are going to pick out a slab of sea pearl today for our remodel. The bones of our kitchen are fine so we are just repainting cabinets, replacing the hideous formica, and finally installing the BS range that has been sitting in the garage since November!

Anyway, I love your knobs and would like to know where you got them or the name of the manufacturer. I can almost hear the gasps---what? glass knobs with sea pearl?/?--- but I am a little eccentric (everyone family needs an eccentric and I embrace that role!!!) I think I might give them a try!

I just noticed your faucet-what is it?

o

Thanks emily325, bicyclegirl, and dillyny.

schicksal the controls are on the inside top of the drawers. There is also a remote to pause the cycle.

Loyalandtrue, the knobs believe it or not are from ebay. They come straight from china. I ordered one, liked the quality so I ordered a ton more. here is a link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/16pcs-Octagonal-Knob-Clear-Cabinet-Drawer-Crystal-Glass-Handle-30mm-New-/251155937143?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a7a0f7777

The faucets are from costco. Sometimes they sales on the faucet and the price drops 50 dollars. So far we really like it and it seems like a very good value..

http://www.costco.com/Hansgrohe-Metro%E2%84%A2-HighArc-Kitchen-Faucet-with-2-function-Pull-out-Sprayhead.product.11675569.html

This post was edited by kinei on Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 12:36

o

This is looking marvellous! Thanks for the updates, cannot wait to see the finished product.

o

How gorgeous! That kitchen is heaven. I'm excited for you :)

o

Thank you so much for the information. I will be ordering the knobs. We don't have Costco where I Iive, but I will look on their website for the faucet.

Peace and joy to you and yours in your beautiful home!

o

This is shaping up very nicely; it's going to be a knockout when you're all done! Can't wait to see more pics...

o

How about an update and pics of how your gorgeous kitchen is coming along?....please?!

o

Everything, is pretty much complete. However, I need to take some pictures once we have things a bit more presentable. I worked on a trash pull out yesterday. We've been having an issue finding a trash pull out that would fit the space. One with the apron sink we don't have much height to work with. 2 With a center disposal there was no way two of the same trash cans would fit. There was nothing out of the box that I could install that would fit the space well. This is what I came up with.
 photo 2014-07-15071802_zps3e89b9c9.jpg

Tight fit
 photo 2014-07-15071814_zpsb07a9748.jpg

doors closed
 photo 2014-07-15071625_zps9f5fdd69.jpg

o

Great solution! We also had a tight trash pullout situation and ended up with an out of the box solution but yours looks much nicer.

Happy to see updates on this beautiful and personal kitchen.

o

Very lovely kitchen. I love the color, wish I was brave.

o

Can't wait for the reveal! And love your pull-out solution. That is one of my own mid-term projects.

o

I love the trash pullout too.

We'll be customizing our pullout too. I bought bins from two different brands to get the best dimensions to maximize our space.

o

Thanks Mags438.

@robotropolis, greenhaven, feisty68
What did you do or what are you planning on doing? I still need to finish the box by removing the pencil marks and putting a coat of poly on it. But who knows when that will happen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here