Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tpthaler_gw

Custom IKEA Kitchen with custom Scherrs Walnut fronts!

tpthaler
13 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I am just about finished with my kitchen remodel, and I have lots of valuable information to share. I did everything from scratch, myself, and made the project more difficult than it needed to be. But in the end, the results are great. And I am glad IKEA discontinued the original fronts I was going to use. Having Scherrs build them was a pleasure and gave me the ability to have most my appliances be built in. It's going to take me a few months to detail all that I learned, but I'll start you out with a teaser video to my pet project inside the bigger kitchen remodel project.

Here is a link that might be useful: Modern IKEA kitchen remodel complete with retractable island controlled by iPhone!

Comments (28)

• melissastar
    13 years ago

OMG...that is SO cool!

• Mimou-GW
    13 years ago

Omg! Are you kidding me? Let's see the island details! The kitchen looks fun.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    13 years ago

Wow, that is amazing. I'd love something like that, only I'm on slab. :(

• brianadarnell
    13 years ago

That is awesome and possibly a first!!! VERY COOL! I thought it was pretty cool that my iphone could control my new receiver and the computer from elsewhere, but I've got nothing on you!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    13 years ago

Incidentally, I hope you post this over at ikeafans, too.

• homey_bird
    13 years ago

Hi tpthaler,

Congratulations and this turned out a fantastic job! Walnut looks awesome as does the retracting island.

Can you please post more pictures of your kitchens here? Also would love to look at the built in appliances, and hear about how Scherr's worked to integrate them. In the youtube video, I can already see drawer dishwashers (looking great!) -- would love to see other parts of the kitchen as well.

Also, would love to hear stories of whether/how you tweaked the ikea cabs, if any.

Would be a great fantastic source of inspiration for ikea kitchen designers.

Thanks in advance!!

• Sherri Stein
    13 years ago

So awesome! I can't wait to see part 2!!!!! I'm in the process of designing my kitchen. I was going to try to use custom - but it's not going to happen. So, Ikea it is. I can't wait to hear and see how you upgraded and integrated.

• boylanite2
    13 years ago

holy crap batman.....that is awesome! Looks good too..

• jakabedy
    13 years ago

That is fabulous -- engineer in the house! Can't wait to see the rest - the walnut doors are beautiful.

• liriodendron
    13 years ago

Maybe some pics here, not just a link to video on UTube for those of us with bandwidth issues and shaky internet connections? Pretty please?

L

• shelayne
    13 years ago

YOWZA!

That is HOT!

I did one of those cartoon triple-take head things. Seriously.

• honorbiltkit
    13 years ago

Beautiful kitchen. Way cool mechanics. The possible adaptations make my head spin. O brave new world.

• judithsara
    13 years ago

Lirio- regular pictures wouldnt do it justice

Tpt- I am sooo impressed! The only think I could say (after WOW) was 'I want that"
    I sent the link to my GC - that ought to freak him out :)
    Wish my house could have a feature like that.

The cabinets are beautiful too!
    I cant wait until you post the rest of the project!

• ironcook
    13 years ago

that is pretty amazing! what made you think about/want to do that?!

please do share the whole kitchen. it looks great! :)

• wizardnm
    13 years ago

OMG....too cool. I wish I had one!

Great kitchen, wanna see it all!!!!!

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Ohhhh! You are such a tease!!! That is soooo cool! Your cabs are beautiful! You're obviously a very detail-oriented person and your kitchen has certainly reaped the benefits. I'll be anxiously watching for more pics!!

• ideagirl2
    13 years ago

That is frickin' AWESOME. God I love engineers!
    Beautiful cabinets too.

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

First I was mesmerized by the walnut slab which I adore. But that is too much. I didn't see dish drawers or anything else when that island started going up. The whole thing is too amazing. Just beyond fantastic and beyond words. Huge congrats.... and this is from a fellow IKEA and Scherrs slab front kitchen owner/creator. Mine is QS oak and still a work in progress. I gotta hurry up and hit the enter button so I can watch it again!

• marcolo
    13 years ago

OK. I'll be that guy.

You are walking on your countertops, right?

• User
    13 years ago

Neat - but what's the point ???

The space looks a bit weird with out something is that center space.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Wow! I was so impressed with my cubby idea in my soon to be revealed kitchen. Think I'll slink back down to my bsmt lair. You win.

Seriously, I am going to send this to my gc and "see if it is not too late to do this" in my kitchen. If he has a heart attack, do I still owe the last payment?

I'd love to see the serious pix of your kitchen as well. I am sure I will love those as much as the great big toy! It is a very pretty kitchen from what I could see of the video ;)

• doggonegardener
    13 years ago

I'm with Marcolo...I don't want to walk on my counters. I don't want my DOGS walking on my counters. It's bad enough that I can't manage to keep my damn cat off my counter. He goes where he pleases. (My old cats did not violate this rule but the new cat is black and was sent by Satan). While it's cool and mechanical and stealthy and all, it icks me out.

• shelayne
    13 years ago

(My old cats did not violate this rule but the new cat is black and was sent by Satan).

doggonegardener--doggone it! You made me spew water on that one. I found that doggone hilarious!

Thanks for the huge giggle!

• momtofour
    13 years ago

Haha! That's veerrryy cool! I can't wait to show that to my sons who like to show off their iPhone apps! I love the cabinet fronts, too. What made you think of building a retractable island? What sort of storage is there? Do heavy items go in there, or does it need to be kept relatively light? I guess what I'm asking is what is the weight limit on the lift? Also, what's below the kitchen and what does the island look like down below? Can we have a photo of that?

Too cool.

• jenny1963
    13 years ago

very cool, but...why?

• homey_bird
    13 years ago

Why? Just because (s)he can!!

I think we've gotta give credit for the originality and engineering here!!

• tpthaler
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the nice comments, I plan on adding more video/pictures in early April (I'll post over at IKEA Fans as well). You can see some more pics over at Design Milk for the time being: http://design-milk.com/a-motorized-kitchen-island/

• michoumonster
    12 years ago

tpthaler, i just saw this while searching for scherr's info. your kitchen is too cool!! btw, can you tell me if you got your walnut fronts prefinished from scherrs or did you do that yourself?
    thanks!