Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katmu_gw

Help with adjusting layout of this kitchen & laundry plan

katmu
10 years ago

Hello kitchen forum-

I have another thread on this plan on the building a home forum but I thought I would post here asking for help with the kitchen and laundry room, as these are the rooms I most want to change. I am a soon-to-be empty nester so the vast majority of the time it is going to be just me. I'm not a gourmet cook, but I do like to cook and typically host both Thanksgiving and Christmas plus family dinners with my sons. For appliances, I want a french door refrigerator (around 22SF), 30" gas range with range hood, dishwasher, and microwave.

Here is what I would like to change about the kitchen and laundry area from how they are currently arranged.:

1) I feel that the refrigerator and range are too close together. I was thinking that given the size of the kitchen, a peninsula layout might be better?

2) I would convert the folding counter in the mudroom into a locker/bench type cabinet. Another member had suggested on the other thread maybe moving the door into the kitchen to get more space there, and going with a smaller coat closet.

3) Pantry - I would really like to have a pantry closet and preferably a walk-in. I need to build a three-car garage (development requirement) so if I need to I could bump out the laundry room either forward into the garage or on the exterior wall.

Thank you in advance.

Here is a link that might be useful: House Plan

Comments (5)

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

I would consider connecting the mudroom and the foyer. I've seen this idea used before, I think this idea is shown in Susan Susanka(sp?) book "the not so big house".

By removing the doorway from the mudroom to the kitchen you would lengthen the wall where the range is giving you more room between the fridge and range.

I'm sure there are others you will offer other ideas.

• juliekcmo
    10 years ago

I will probably get flamed for saying so, but I would also consider where you will have TVs and computers, and then make sure you are happy with your sight lines for cooking and prep and snacking for both. Reality is that I have my laptop out on my kitchen table at all times except when we sit down to eat dinner; then it pops into a drawer. I read the morning paper online, etc.
    So if your TV is going over the FP then I would take that into consideration when orientating your island and table. If somewhere else, then I would want to be able to see it from the kitchen readily.

Also since you don't seem to need the third garage for vehicle storage, I might consider making 1 of the garage bays an offshoot of the mud room functions. I know you will need a fire door as drawn, but you might want to add a secondary fridge for beer and pop and water, shelving for Costco items ,coolers, travel gear, etc. And I have my W/D in the kitchen. You need to have doors to close it off as it can be noisy. I would consider that before removing walls or doors to make it more open. It would be neat to have a "butlers pantry" type of laundry set up with your space.

• katmu
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good questions Julie. I was planning to put the TV in the built-in to the left of the fireplace. For computers, it's a little more complicated as I work in IT and I'm on-call basically 24/7. I would probably have a dedicated office space in BR #2 and another connection in the dining room.

For the garage, I live in Minnesota so even though the garage will be insulated (not heated though) I could store some things there- paper towels, coolers, etc but it's not the best idea during the coldest months. My lot is a walkout so I will have a full walkout basement so that's always an option for a 2nd fridge or freezer too as that space would be heated even before I finish it off all that way.

• canuckplayer
    10 years ago

Since the house isn't built yet, can you add 24" to the whole right wall. I don't know what the costs may be, but maybe not too much. Then, you should have sufficient space between the range and fridge, plus a little extra storage. It'll expand the mudroom and dinette too.

I wouldn't remove the door from the mudroom to the kitchen, as this is so convenient when carrying groceries.
    Do you need a full closet in the mudroom, or could you get by with hooks? If you feel you don't need the folding counter, make the whole space pantry/storage. And, as mentioned, put the larger items in the basement.

This post was edited by canuckplayer on Mon, Mar 17, 14 at 21:53

• bpath
    10 years ago

"For the garage, I live in Minnesota so even though the garage will be (not heated though)" Could you heat it, and pitch it out the door? When I visit my folks even for a few hours, my car is so happy to melt off the frozen gunk in their heated-to-40-degrees garage! They have a drain, but your municipal code may not allow it.