Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help!!! bluestar range delivered damaged!

Posted by persimmon3 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 20, 13 at 13:40

i am getting close to the end of my kitchen remodel and all the appliances are now installed. this past weekend i thought i'd try out my new bluestar range and i followed the procedure to start the oven which entails a 'burn off' for 1 1/2 hours prior to any use in the oven. while i was doing this, the range sounded like a small airplane taking off and the heat was so bad i could not stand near the range, let alone touch it! to add to my misery, all 6 burners (36" range) are not set right. come to find out that the heat comes from the problem that the door cannot properly close due to a bent bumper in the front!!! i do not have any power burners (i was suppose to have 3), but they are all regular burners with one simmer burner! the place where i purchased it want to have it fixed at my house ... a lot of parts coming from bluestar, but i am angry that i ordered a 'new' range and got a damaged one that now has to go through a repair process. right now i have made my complaint and am waiting to hear back from the salesperson who said he cannot take it back, but would call bluestar to see if they would give me a 5 year warranty! what do you think i should fight for? i am so upset!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help!!! bluestar range delivered damaged!

I think if this bothers you, you really should call up the salesman again, and tell him that this range is damaged and you will not feel comfortable unless they replace it with one that is not damaged. Don't accept "no" from someone who is not authorized to say "yes". Very important saying.

I would also call Bluestar directly. Where are you located? I happen to have an email address of the local sales rep in my area. He was very helpful to me. I'll be happy to pass that along to you if you are on the East Coast.

I don't event think you should have to fight for anything. You paid for a non-damaged product. That is what you want. You could have bought a damaged product at a scratch and dent sale if you wanted to save some money.

o

The store delivered you the wrong range, the wrong range that is both broken and damaged and they say they can't take it back???

I would insist on a new range, factory built to the correct specifications and a 5 year warranty for the trouble of having to go through all this crap.

Or, the store can refund my money. Their choice.

o

The delivery of a range with the wrong burners should get you a new one. The fact that the door is broken does not entitle you to a new range. You accepted the delivery. For all Bluestar knows, you could have damaged the door and want a new range. Not saying thats true, but from their perspective there is nothing that says that isnt the case. If you hadn't received the wrong range in the first place the only way to handle the broken door would be to go through the warranty procedure. I guess its kinda lucky they sent you the wrong range in the first place.

o

Hi persimmon3,

In a gw kitchen thread called "Flawless Bluestar customer service", Buffolotina writes that she had good customer service from a woman named Mandy. Sayde also posted in the same thread that she had a good experience with Mandy. Here's Mandy's contact info; she's still with Bluestar.

mandy lopez 800 449 8691 ext. 2122
mlopez@bluestarcooking.com

Hopefully she will provide you with the backing for replacement; or whatever needs to happen so that you have a working Bluestar that you're happy with and have confidence in.

o

Presuming you made this purchase with a credit card, you can also dispute the payment with them: the store did not deliver what you ordered. The stove was not in new condition AND it was not the correct model that you paid for.

o

thanks for all your support. i contacted my state consumer affairs department and they said to call the headquarters in pennsylvania and talk directly to them. i called and did talk to mandy. she was very nice and helpful and offered to give me a one year warranty. i told her that one-year was not acceptable, that i wanted a new range or, at a minimum, a 5-year warranty. i told her that i contacted my state consumer affairs department and they agreed that this range should be returned since i didn't use it! i told mandy that IF they stood behind their product then a 5-year warranty shouldn't be an issue. she said she'd talk to her bosses and get back to me and so far i haven't heard from her. i feel humiliated ... blabbing to my family and friends on what a great stove/oven i got and now they're saying that i got taken! how embarrassing and how disappointing that this company is not taking care of a customer who spent so much money on a high quality product of theirs! what an education ... kitchen remodel was not bad but this appliance mishap is!

o

All of Bluestar's wall ovens were recalled recently.

I would open a dispute with the credit card company right away. And just return the thing.

o

I'm not sure why you would want a five-year warranty on a stove that isn't the one you wanted in the first place and has already proven to be a lemon, but that, of course is up to you. When I got a lemon Kitchen Aid dishwasher and neither the company nor the appliance store wanted to replace it, I sent letters to the CEOs of both enterprises and got my new dishwasher. So I wouldn't bother with customer service. I'd take it to the top if in fact you still want a Bluestar.

I hope it all turns out well for you. It is so annoying to pay a premium price and then have to fight for your right to a new product.

o

pigeen ... the reason why i want a 5 year warranty is because everyone i talk to (salesperson, repairperson, bluestar rep) says they won't take back the range/oven and so i feel like i'm stuck with it! i'd rather have a new one OR just go get a different range altogether! i feel like they have all the power! i think i'll send letters like you did ... got any suggestions on how to make them do what i want or do i need to threaten to sue them?

o

Did you purchase with a credit card and if so, did you call to dispute the charge? Yes or no?

Did you call back the consumer affairs department and ask if they can help you force a return?

Did you examine the return policy of the store where you bought the range?

o

When a seller delivers "nonconforming tender" (i.e., goods that differ from what the contract specified), you generally have the right to rescind the contract and get your money back. (Check the laws of your state.) Alternatively, you can agree to accept the nonconforming tender and whatever additional compensation you and the seller agree to.

Your easiest course of action is to dispute the credit card charge. If you did not pay with a credit card, you will have to be aggressive in pursuing your rights with the seller.

o

For once, I agree with Marcolo - if you paid by credit card, you have the power. If this is new merchandise, demand that the store replace it - most retailers give you a 30 day window to return incorrect, defective merchandise. Talk to the store owner, not the salesman.

o

So sorry! I feel for you. My appliance store ordered the wrong oven for me. Waited 8 weeks and it was the wrong one. Then they tried to tell me that I had to pay a restocking fee....then asked if I would split it with them....then said they would order the correct oven and keep the wrong one in their store to sell. But if I hadn't argued with them they would have stuck me with it. They even offered $1K if I kept the wrong one.

So you fight for what you want. You paid for a new, undamaged stove with the right burners.

Everything I have ordered I had to sign for BEFORE it was unboxed. I don't think they can say that you signed for it so you are stuck with it. Well, they can say it., but not do much about it. Those delivery drivers of mine wouldn't even let me unbox anything to look at it.

Fight for what you want. Good luck. Peke

o

No need to threaten. Just explain the situation, explain why you feel the company has taken your money but not delivered what was promised, and why you expected more, and what you want them to do. If they make any promises on their website or advertising be sure to include them.

Sometimes the hardest part is finding the CEO's name and address, but it can be done.

Good luck and don't take no for an answer

o

Maybe the local news station's consumer reporter might be interested. Where I live, this would be the lead story on the news.

Have you called the owner of the retail store yet? His salesman surely isn't sharing his screw-up with him. So maybe you need to do so.

Keep on BS too. It doesn't take an act of Congress to get a company to get this fixed. Reiterate that you don't care whose fault it is, but you did not order this range and you want the one you paid for. You say you ordered 3 power burners, I'm assuming you paid extra for that. My 36" came with 2 22k btu burners, 3 15s and 1 simmer. Anything else would have been an extra fee.

Best of Luck.

Bee

o

i am still waiting for a call back from BS (mandy). i am going to talk to american express today to start a dispute. i paid for the marcus samuelsson stove/oven. this version comes with 3 power burners (22,000), 2 (18,000), 1 simmer. what i got was a simmer and 5 regular burners (18,000). a bent frame under the doors so the doors won't close properly, convection fan not screwed in properly and the repairperson said that it's too close to the wall so he needs to make something to prop it out (which mandy at BS said not to let him do!), and screws not screwed into a bar under the grease pan... which is missing altogether! i feel so depleted stating my case over and over and getting no-where! thank you all for your support ... it means a lot to me!

o

I would file a police report right away. American Express will request one.

o

Even ignoring the damage, they shipped you the wrong range! You paid for a more expensive model and that's what you're entitled to. That is what you need to emphasize to everyone. Start the credit card dispute immediately.

I'm confused by oceangirl's comment about a police report. There's nothing to file a poice report about - no crime was committed unless you think the store fraudently and deliberately shipped you the wrong. range.

o

persimmon--

I am sorry for your woes and hope they get straightened out (in your favor) soon.

Please, please post a condensed version of your tale over on the appliances forum because I think a lot of people over there would be interested. I'll be honest; when I purchased anew range in February, similar stories of problems with Bluestar (and their customer service) led me to purchase from a different manufacturer.

o

How disappointing.
The bottom line - the wrong oven - it needs to be swapped for the correct oven.
Reading, PA needs to make good on this oven.
I agree on working with your CC company.
Good luck!

o

I recently had a Bluestar range installed. There is a full page performance checklist the installer is required to verify. This includes appearance, electrical, gas connection, oven door operation, flame adjustment, oven calibration, etc. It sounds like the installer didn't do a proper job. Any problems are supposed to be taken care of during the installation procedure, and the checklist needs to be signed and sent in for warranty purposes.

o

Filing a dispute with American Express and have them reverse the charge is very easy.
Just say:
1. Wrong model than ordered
2. damaged

As others have said, reason 1 is already sufficient. They will ask you to submit a copy of your order that shows that you ordered the model with the stronger burners.

o

It sounds like your dealer screwed up and is now giving you the run-around.
As others have suggested, if you paid by CC file a dispute with your CC company.

This post was edited by willtv on Fri, Mar 22, 13 at 10:37

o

thank you, thank you, thank you. this afternoon my salesperson called and said he'd personally obtain an extended warranty (5 years) for my bluestar but i told him i wanted a new one and that this model was not what i ordered and he said it was. he said i can't differentiate between the power burners because they are so close in power (18,000 and 22,000) and that the repairman couldn't either! i thought this repairperson was experienced with bluestar? it seemed like the salesperson was being sincere... and said the bent oven frame can be fixed, which i am sure it can be ... but still... it came damaged! i am so confused now! am i being too picky? let's say he's right and the power of the burners are correct but it's impossible to detect with the naked eye so i'm mistaken and so is the repairman? is the bent doorframe enough for me to be upset? all i wanted was a new range/oven. was that too much to ask for? ugh!

o

3k diffference burners will be difficult to see the difference visually with the naked eye. The true "tell" will be with the orifices installed . I personally can't imagine them building an special edition model with incorrect orifices, although I suppose it's possible. If so, it's about a 5 minute changeout. Not a big deal at all. It's a tiny little part and a bit of recalibration.

A bent support can also be replaced with no muss and fuss. It too isn't a big deal or time consuming.

All in all, there's a bit of over-reaction in this thread, as well as egging on of that over reaction. Any warranty situation will cover the repair of the items that are at issue, and that is what the warranty states that they will do as the first resort. You shouldn't expect instant replacement, or rush to start all manner of unnecessary accusations with any consumer affairs bureau, or dispute the credit card charge. That is all an extreme over reaction to a simple warranty service issue. And, having recently been a party on the other side of a credit card dispute, (that the consumer lost) you don't want to initiate those proceedings unless you don't receive the warranty service, or unless you cannot be 100% be made whole from that service.

Repair first, then if there are still issues, then it's time to escalate. To go thermonuclear instantly is jumping the gun by a good deal. You have to allow the manufacturer a chance to give you the service that they promise you under the given warranty first!

o

Disagree completely. A brand new top-dollar range that arrives damaged in multiple ways (see 13:51, it's not just the door) and appears to be the wrong range to begin with has to go right out the door. Especially when the dealer and manufacturer provided such an underwhelming response, and the service tech and manufacturer are already arguing with each other over what is to be done. What the OP has is a scratch and dent range at full price.

Persimmon, how did you know the burners were 18K? You need to find out the objective difference between the two burners. Sounds like your dealer put in the wrong order and is trying to flimflam you.

o

The 18K & 22K burners have different burner heads. If the repair person doesn't know the difference I would find a different repair person. Apparently he has no experience with Bluestar ranges.

o

I am standing at my BS right now and comparing the burner heads. The 22k heads have holes on each SIDE of the eight arms of the head and one small hole on the top of each arm. The 15k burner has these holes only othe top of the arms. None on the sides. So, the power burners have many more holes.

o

Why should you have to repair a brand new expensive product? You should certainly "overreact" [!] and get what you paid for -- an undamaged product.

o

It would be very helpful if a BS owner could kindly post a pic of the different burner heads and count the holes.

o

1. Verify what kind of burners you have.
2. If you are sure that you don't have the power burners, dispute the charges with your CC company. Obviously, the company who sold you the range isn't playing nicely if they tell you that you have the power burners when you don't have them.

3. Let the Credit Card company handle this issue.However, you need to be able to show them that the range is the wrong one and that it is damaged.

In the meantime, you can find out how easy it is to exchange the burners and recalibrate the range.
And try to assess how badly the range is damaged and to what extent this may be indicative of any interior damage. e.g. is the noise normal, is the excessive heat normal, or did some of the electronics get messed up, too?

(I had a similar case with a Miele washer that arrived slightly dented, but after the cosmetic fix, I had at least a dozen service calls over the next three years. In the end, I got a new washer, but as you can imagine, it was a huge PITA.)

o

From the BS web page:
At BlueStar we know you have unique tastes and preferences, which is why we offer a completely customizable 6 burner gas range to meet your specific cooking needs. You chose exactly what you want--from number of burners to griddle size, and we'll build the range you dream up - all with restaurant-quality performance.

I don't know about anyone else, but my specific needs would include knowing for sure if the burners I paid for were the ones installed. Your salesperson's assurances that they are probably right as installed, despite what the repair guy might have to say (the one Mandy says not to let do the propping out thing) would not ease my mind on this subject.

Not to be overly picky, but the range I "dream up" wouldn't include:
a bent frame under the doors so the doors won't close properly, convection fan not screwed in properly and the repairperson said that it's too close to the wall so he needs to make something to prop it out (which mandy at BS said not to let him do!), and screws not screwed into a bar under the grease pan... which is missing altogether!

I would definitely expect what mata said on a stove of this purported caliber:
There is a full page performance checklist the installer is required to verify. This includes appearance, electrical, gas connection, oven door operation, flame adjustment, oven calibration, etc. It sounds like the installer didn't do a proper job. Any problems are supposed to be taken care of during the installation procedure, and the checklist needs to be signed and sent in for warranty purposes.

I'm so sorry about this mess, persimmon, but I don't think you're overreacting. Hang in there until it all gets sorted out.

o

Tell the salesman that the difference between a credit card sale that's been revoked due to nonperformance of the seller, and one that hasn't, is almost indistinguishable to the naked eye, too.

o

I think an explanation of the difference in the burners is better than a picture because you have to look closely and it would be hard to see in a photo. Look at each of the "fingers" (I called them arms before, but maybe fingers is more descriptive) on each burner. All the burners have similar holes around the center but the number of holes on the fingers is different. The 15k burner has five holes along the top of each finger. The 22k burner has four holes on each side of the finger and one on top of the finger, for a total of nine. So nine holes versus five holes. Pretty simple.

o

wow! so much good advice! thank you all! i just counted the holes on my 6 burners and this is what they are: one burner at 32 holes, 5 burners with 96 holes. the salesperson said the number of holes doesn't make a difference because the power burners get more gas than the regular burners... so you can't go by the number! assuming he's right, i still have the bent door frame and the convection fan that the repair person said he'll have to jimmy something to prop it away from the wall so it doesn't make so much noise! really??? this isn't the stove/oven that i looked at when i attended two (!!!) BS demonstrations on this product! i'm up in the air about whether to take the 5 year warranty and cross my fingers that the BS repairman fixes the oven... or keep trying to get them to take this back and give me a new one! thanks for all your support.

o

the number of holes doesn't make a difference because the power burners get more gas than the regular burners

OMG I can hardly take it.

The salesman is full of #@!$.

Call Bluestar and ask how many holes each burner has.

Than call Amex and stop the charge IMMEDIATELY and do not buy ANY appliance from this liar.

o

Even if you go the credit card route, and I hope you do, you should also let the CEO know how poorly you were treated, both in terms of the product, and the time you had to waste getting the problem resolved.

o

My high power burners have 96 holes (9 on each of the 8 fingers and 24 around the center) whereas the 15k burner has 64 holes (5 on each of the fingers and 24 around the center). If you have 96, it sounds like you have five 22k burners.

I agree with Marcolo. Your salesperson is, at best, a moron.

o

I second (or maybe forty-second) the idea that you need to dispute this charge with your credit card company. That will make your dealer address this situation. The salesperson is feeding you a load of bull.

You paid what I consider to be an astronomical price for a supposedly top-quality luxury good. You received a damaged unit that is not even what you ordered. Frankly, even if the unit hadn't been damaged, I'd want a new one.

You paid for the modifications to the burners to be done PRIOR to delivery, not after delivery if you happened to notice that they sent the wrong item. If you bought a new car and ordered an upgraded engine, you'd expect the upgraded engine to be IN the car when you drove it off the lot. If it wasn't, you'd bring it back and ask for the car you ordered, not for the car that was mistakenly delivered to be have the engine rebuilt. This is a pre-warranty issue. You have a warranty on what you bought, not what was delivered.

Add on the damage...it's just unacceptable.

o

Do you have a relationship with the Bluestar rep who did the demonstrations? That may be another approach to take. I still have back and forth email exchanges with the guy who ran my demo.

o

There are 15k, 18k, and 22k burners. The 18k and the 22k burners DO HAVE identical heads. The difference lies in the size of the gas orifice that feeds them. The 15k burner is indeed different, as nicely described by NYCBluedevil.

If the salesman was trying to differentiate between the 18k and the 22k, then his description was not inaccurate.

Look at the thread below for more discussion on the 18k/22k burner, including how to upgrade an 18k into a 22k.

(Edited to remove a subjunctive mood where it was not warranted.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Helpful post by Mojavean

This post was edited by Angie_DIY on Fri, Mar 22, 13 at 23:58

o

Once again, your dealer is trying to con you.
If you paid by CC, file a dispute with the CC company.
Tell your dealer to take back, not repair, the range.
Ask Bluestar to direct you to a new dealer.

o

Is the position of the convection fan going to be a problem even if they give you a new range? Will it always be too close to the wall?

o

all great comments. i'll be calling AE tomorrow! i'll let you know how it turns out. thank you all for your ideas and support! i am almost at the end of my remodel. my 'tempered glass sheet' backsplash didn't work out so i'm probably going to put in clear glass tile, then put in the cabinet handles and install the lighting pendants (2) over the island, get chairs for the island. that's it... except for this range/oven problem! thank you again.

o

persimmon3,

Might be worth a letter to the president of Prizer-Painter Stove Works Inc., the company that makes BlueStar Ranges; hIs name is MIchael Trapp.

The factory address is:

Prizer-Painter Stove Works Inc.
600 Arlington St.
Reading, PA 19611-2031

Following company email convention, his email address is likely mtrapp@bluestarcooking.com if you want to try emailing him instead.

If I were you I'd explain the situation to him and ask that BlueStar company support be congruent with his statement in a Business Weekly article “We’re not looking to become the largest gas range manufacturer,” he said “We just want to be the best gas range manufacturer.” The article is linked below.

An article in Reuters includes "BlueStar products are made in the USA - every product is hand-crafted and rigorously tested in Reading, PA".

The Reuters article is found here: http://www.bluestarcooking.com/press-room/313-featured-product-kbbonlinecom-3.

Not veering toward being snarky towards BlueStar, just direct. BlueStar relies heavily on word-of-mouth marketing for sales. Mike Trapp might actually want to know about the issues your having.

Based on the types of statements made in the articles and the five thousand plus price tag on the Marcus Samuelsson, I think you have the right to have the expectations you do.

On a practical tangent, see if you can find out what the manufacturer part numbers are for the 18K and 22K burners are, plus where they are stamped on the respective burners. You might be able to see the numbers pretty readily, and it would be a definitive way of finding out which burners you actually have. Mandy should be able to provide this information, too.

Please keep us posted.

Here is a link that might be useful: BlueStar Range - Business Weekly article

o

If you were to do a thorough search on the appliances forum you would find a number of posters with similar issues with this company and their ranges. Supposedly the oven issues had been fixed. There is an entire thing about having to oil the door hinges as well. There are several posters on Appliances who know this range really well and can (if the question is well phrased) explain exactly what to demand in re the burners etc.

Amex is excellent about disputes. In addition to the call they will need a written explanation of the dispute. I would take photos to include, as well if needed.

o

pentimento: thanks for the information on michael trapp. i emailed him and gave him an account of what happened to me and he replied on march 28 and said he would research my situation! i hope he helps me out! i had no clue who he was or how to find out who the president was! thank you so much. i'll let all of you good people know what happens!

o

Holy cow! What that appliance shop is doing is just wrong. I own a small business and I know how tough it is to make a buck but customer service has to be a top priority. I would give the appliance shop where it was purchased one more chance to make this right, (meaning a whole new stove) or file a claim with the BBB. Many years ago we had a customer who totally misused and abused a piece of equipment that we manufactured. Our warranty didn't cover abuse or misuse so we were not going to replace the item. The customer called the BBB and the BBB contacted us and agreed that what the customer was doing was not right but suggested we settle anyway because it would show up on our listing as an unresolved complaint. With that being said we took care of the issue even though it was a clear case of abuse by the customer. In your case you should definitely get a new range. The dealer should be able to get Blue Star to replace the range without it costing the dealer anything so their reluctance to help you sounds like a case of laziness on their part. They should be advocating for you! Good luck to you on resolving this.

o

I don't think there is an over reaction at all. You ordered a range. They sent you not only the wrong range, but a broken wrong range.

A warranty should not have to be used to repair a brand new, never used range. The point of a warranty is that there is a reasonable expectation for a new product to perform as designed for a minimum period of time without issue. While technically, that would be anywhere from day 1 until the termination of the warranty, I don't think a range that was wrong and broken from the get-go is acceptable.

o

update: today i talked with AE and emailed the president of the bluestar to make sure they both knew i was still 'waiting' to hear from them. AE said they were still in the process of my claim and would keep me informed. the salesman also called and said he was supporting me and wants me to keep him in the loop on what the president is going to do! i just got a call from the VP of bluestar and he seemed to be in agreement with me saying that i should be completely happy with my new range and that what i am telling him doesn't fit the pattern of his customers ... everyone is happy and he totally understands how unhappy i've been. he then said he would get back to his 'team' and they would figure out how to make me happy and he would get back to me tomorrow! hmmm... that doesn't sound like he totally understood me does it?

o

"he would get back to his 'team' and they would figure out how to make me happy "

so maybe you will get a new range, a 5 year warranty and a trip to a tropical island.....that would make me happy.

o

Does he understand what it would take to make you happy? The team's opinion doesn't really matter.

Good luck and don't give up!

o

beekeeperswife: you gave me a good chuckle tonight! thanks to everyone... without your help i wouldn't have gotten this far! again pentimento ... the information on michael trapp's article and his email address was the cherry on top!

o

I have to say that AmEx has stood behind me when I was being horribly treated by a huge appliance store. It was all my fault they said for not buying the in house extended warranty even though the refrigerator was really messed up the first day of delivery. They said I had to take it up with the manufacturer and they washed their hands of the entire situation. How awful to go through that when it was upon delivery that it was obviously not right. It was not two years later it was the first day!!! I think they delivered to me something that had been returned for the same reason. Their attitude was you are SOL lady. I had the presence of mind to have put the entire purchase on my AmEx card sadly anticipating these days every purchase ~something goes wrong. So finally I did call AmEx and told them about it and the next call I got from the store was well hello Mrs. ___ we just want to see when we can bring out your new refrigerator and make you happy. What really makes me mad is that I am not an unreasonable, unhappy person and they cannot make me happy, I just want to get what I paid for and be "satisfied". I do not buy things to make me happy, it's a transaction, not therapy. It should be an honorable exchange of money for service or product and that's it. That is all that is expected from me, not happiness or special treatment just what I paid for and that's it.

o

persimmon3,

Glad I could help!

I want to chat with you a bit more, but before I do I want to add a note to anyone who is having issues with their BlueStar and may decide to contact them. Please get in touch with Mandy in customer service first and not the company president. I included contact information for both of them in previous posts on this thread, but just feel some discernment is needed. Mandy's contact information is:

mandy lopez 800 449 8691 ext. 2122
mlopez@bluestarcooking.com

Again, try her first and give her time to do her job. Please do not contact the company president unless you truly feel your situation is serious and your experience with BlueStar is very unsatisfactory.

Anyway,,,

I'm sending this e-amail to Mr.Trapp. He may have already contacted you with a resolution, but I thought I'd share.

Dear Mr. Trapp,

It’s my understanding that you and your team are making a decision today about how to rectify a situation in which a customer received a BlueStar range that had a damaged door frame and missing parts. You can read about this customer’s full experience on a Gardenweb Kitchen forum thread found here:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg031340447091.html?54

Gardenweb is one of the most visited forums on the Internet and a source for word of mouth recommendations for BlueStar ranges, wall ovens and cook tops. I’m “pentimento” in the forum and authored a couple of posts on the thread I included above.

I truly appreciate your taking the time to help this BlueStar customer. It seems like the quality control/quality assurance that is normally included as part of your manufacturing process was not met in this case. As I’m sure you’re already aware, when the QA/QC process is followed it helps to achieve confidence in your product, both by your team and your customers. Plus following this QA/QC process meets your company obligation.

Could you please (please!) send this customer a new range that's been well inspected and is functional? It would help show her and potential customers that buying a BlueStar range is a good choice.

Of course you recognize that if potential customers are nervous about what they’ll receive it will reflect on your sales. Here’s a thread that includes a post about a BlueStar customer feeling uncertain about their recent purchase and upcoming delivery:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/appl/msg1209550016789.html?3

Could you also add a visible and distinct mark on the 18K and 22K burners so BlueStar consumers can definitively tell which burners have been installed on the range they ordered? As customers are looking over their purchase, it would be great if they could readily confirm that they got the burners they paid for. Confusion about this causes unneeded upset.

I recognize that the majority of the time, the process of BlueStar manufacture through product purchase goes well for everyone, and that by far most of your customers are happy. You’ve done so much to build your company and have helped many people achieve their dream kitchens. See this one for example, ‘Sayde’ on Gardenweb created a gorgeous kitchen that includes a BlueStar range:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0118042910982.html

BlueStar ranges have a lot of great features: the star shaped burners create well distributed heat; the burner options support choices from a very low simmer perfect for making a beurre blanc sauce to an incredible heat that's just right for searing a restaurant style steak; the nice fit and finish; plus the combination of workhorse style and beauty (all those color options!).

Thank you for your continued work towards creating the best gas ranges. I look forward to reading about the resolution of this issue on the Gardenweb kitchen forum.

Sincerely,

(my name)

o

it's a transaction, not therapy

Best line ever!!

o

I've been watching this thread and am hopeing Persimmon3 gets an answer soon and hopefully BS will do the right thing and send the new problem free range with extended warranty for her troubles ASAP.

We were about to order a BS range and have now put off our purchase partially due to this thread. The outcome of the OP's situation and how long it's taken to be resolved is something we will take into consideration as we need to order our appliances. Hopefully BS stands behind their products and we can feel confident ordering one soon. :)

This post was edited by xc60 on Thu, Apr 4, 13 at 16:10

o

FWIW, since we're talking about BS customer service-- just want to say Mandy Lopez is the best. She helped us out with several little things that needed attention. I could not have asked for more gracious and cooperative customer service.

When I was making the decision on a range (Wolf versus Blue Star, back in 2010) I was very nervous about going with Blue Star. But seeing the two ranges at a dealer persuaded me I wanted Blue Star. So I swallowed hard and placed an order. The range had a few things damaged during delivery. The dealer, also very good, plus Mandy, got everything squared away quickly. I love the Blue Star and am so glad I "took a chance" on it. There were comments here about the oven door. Also, FWIW, the problem is fixed. I have a range that was built before the new hinge was cut in to the line. I have never had a problem. I think the problems were all among people who used the oven at very high temps for long periods. I use my oven several times a week but it is "normal" baking and broiling. But, nonetheless, Mandy graciously sent me a complete new door with the new hinge, and a new kick plate. I have it here, just in case I should have a problem.

I loved my range so much that I talked the contractor who did my bathroom (and also does kitchens) into becoming a rep for Blue Star. He has quickly become a Supernova seller and he is a happy man.

Hope things work out well for you. Please do not worry -- I feel sure Blue Star will wind up delighting you in the end.

o

Watching and waiting for a good resolution!

o

Holy cow, this is like a suspense filled novel I can't put down. Please let us know how you made out. It is infuriating to read what you have been through. It is intolerable. If American companies want us to buy from them, they'd better stand behind their products.

o

I haven't read every single post, but as a general rule, I think that forum members should let an OP who has problems with a company or contractor handle the situation and not get involved unless explicitly asked to (maybe that was the case here). Still, I can see that things may spin out of control and put a damper on people posting their experience in the future.

o

Nosoccermom,

I believe you're right and really appreciate your post. Persimmon3 did not explicitly ask that I get involved by communicating with the company. I'm usually much, much better at self-monitoring and boundary recognition, but I definitely lapsed in this case.

Persimmmon3,

My sincerest apologies. Please continue to post. You’ll get support but not inappropriate interjection. I’ve activated my e-mail in case you’d like to send me a message to express any dismay or other thoughts/feelings you may have; that way you can do so privately without having to filter for the gw audience. "Gah! What were you thinking!?" would be appropriate. :)

o

Pentimento - not everyone would admit the lapse. I admire your willingness to "take it on the chin from Persimmon". A similar situation occurred sometime ago when another poster intervened on behalf of the OP wouthout a request. It can be difficult to control our desire to help!

o

Very impressed by your response, pentimento!
My comment was meant as a general advice, perhaps because I'm paranoid.

o

pentimento: i appreciate your help ... in fact i was moved by your willingness to help out a complete stranger! no apologies necessary!
update: i just received my call back from the VP and he said he would send a repairman out to fix all my problems and he was certain that they could make it run perfectly! he would also give me a 1 year warranty added to my 1 year! he wanted to make me happy! if i wanted to return this item then i would have to take it up with the salesman! i was disappointed and said i'd have to think about it!

o

I would take it back. This is why a report needed to filed for passing off the wrong item. I do not see how a technician is going to fix this. On the appliance forum they say that NXR is as good or better than Bluestar.

o

So much for their customer service -- if he wants to make you happy, why doesn't he do the right thing and give you what you paid for -- a brand-new stove that does not need to repaired out of the box.

o

that does not need to BE repaired out of the box.

o

My suggestion is to not settle for anything less than what you were expecting. I have a BS and am happy with it, so I'm not some sort of anti-BS person.

Plain and simple--you want what you ordered. Time to go to the store in person and speak as if you are having trouble hearing. Be loud without shouting, but loud enough for others to "accidentally" overhear you.

The squeaky wheel get the oil, so it's time to get squeakin'

Once this is all done and you have your NEW range, you will love it. Promise.

o

Here is a quote from their website: "Our commitment to precision in form and function is why many top chefs consider BlueStar to be the world's top-performing residential cooking equipment."
I'd use this in my dealings with them (and yes, I'd insist on replacement of the range).

o

Frankly at this point I'd want my money back.

o

I'm reading these and see two distinct issues that probably have different avenues for resolution.

1. You got a range that didn't have the burners that you ordered and paid for. Seems to me this is a "store issue". The question is did they order it wrong? If they did, then they need to take it back and order the right one. Chances are that the manufacturer is telling them they have to eat it for ordering the wrong unit.

2. You got a range that had damage. This sounds like an "installer, shipper or manufacturer issue". Depending on which one, there are multiple paths to resolution....a claim with the shipper/installer or one with the manufacturer.

So you, as the client, get screwed in that folks are most likely pointing fingers at each other to take responsibility.

My suggestion is to focus. Is the problem you paid for more than you got? Then it's the store who has to resolve.

Is it the damage, then the other three have to figure it out.

But you will say (rightly so) that it's both and they need to fix it.

I would argue that the first issue was you got less than you paid for and it's the store's issue. When you talk to them focus on that. Tell them the damage is secondary since it was to a unit you didn't order. No where have I heard that anyone is really discussing this. An extra warranty on something you didn't order isn't a fix.

Just my two cents......

o

You protested the charge with your CC company, right? I'd just wait and let AE handle it.
In the meantime, did you ever establish what the answer to Question 1 is:
Did you get the range with the burners you ordered?
If no, can it be easily upgraded, or does it need to be exchange for a completely different range? It would be easy to find out by calling a store and ask if it's possible to upgrade form lower to higher burners.
With respect to Q. 2:
If a good arrives damaged, do you have the right for a complete replacement, or do you have to let the seller/store fix it?

o

Wow, a whole entire 1 year warranty for all the trouble they've put you through? That must cost them, what, about a hundred bucks? Unbelievable.

GE gave me a free 5-year warranty when our Monogram bottom panel was dented during delivery. And that was just a cosmetic issue! They offered the free warranty to make up for the fact that the panel was back ordered for a few months before they could replace it. We were delighted with how they handled it.

Glad we didn't buy a Blue Star if this is really the level of "service" they provide. I hope they make it right for you in the end.

o

Because of your issue, I will not consider Blue Star for our new range. I have ZERO desire to work with a company--especially one selling a high-end product--that will not provide outstanding customer service.

o

When I bought a steam washer and dryer from Sears, the washer was delivered with a dent on the lower front. Sears said they would offer me a new one, but there were no more of that model available (I bought it on clearance sale). They gave me the choice of returning it or taking an additional 15% off (which I took). There was no question that I had the right to a new, undamaged unit or a full refund if I didn't want to accept their offer of other compensation to keep that unit.

You have the right to receive what you ordered: a new, undamaged unit of the correct model. Anything else is non-conforming tender and you do not have to accept it. I have found AMEX to be very good about reversing charges for damaged merchandise. A furniture dealer who wasn't in any hurry to replace damaged merchandise he delivered to me got his act together quickly after AMEX reversed the charge. After all this, you might just want to take the refund and buy something else, unless you still have your heart set on BS. (I can't believe they thought you would accept a 1-year warranty extension as compensation after you already turned down a 5-year warranty.)

o

AmEx usually gives you an additional warranty anyway. (I think it doubles it; or at least extends things by 1 year.) You might check on that too. I don't think they are giving you anything you didn't already have.

o

Is there any evidence that you have all 18k burners, instead of 3 22k's and 2 18's? As I wrote upstream, they look the same!

o

I am also watching for the final resolution in this case. If it's not resolved with a full refund or a new range delivered, I will not consider a Blue Star range. Period.

If a company won't stand behind their product before it's even fired up and used even ONCE, then why on earth would anybody ever, I mean ever, buy from them???

To whomever is monitoring this thread from Blue Star --- it's time to catch a clue. For real. Do you have any idea how many sales this lack of responsiveness has already and will continue to cost you?

o

I agree, that this is very disappointing and not at all an attempt to make the OP happy. The VP sounds like my bad builder who kept repeating to me after all the mistakes he or his trades made that "He just wanted me to be happy". They seem to think the more they repeat it maybe they can convince you to be happy when they truly fail to give you the product or service you deserve.

Very bad customer service, and with Gardenweb coming up as some of top websites when you do a search for Bluestar this is really going to effect their
business. Even Sears knows to have reps come on here to look for negative experiences and make them right.

o

I live approx 1 hour from the BS factory and would not have one in my home! I have no interest now in even using one in the local store for demo as I was planning on doing. I will be canceling my appt. Poor back up from the manufacturer as far as I can see. Why is BS not assisting by putting some pressure on the dealer? I thought part of being an authorized dealer involved making sure customer service is top notch. Just get a refund and choose another range. I am not going to consider involving myself with this company now.

o

I hope this gets resolved to your satisfaction. I am going to pass this info on to my KD so she can share it with her current and future clients.

o

I, too, hope this gets resolved to your satisfaction.

Also, I thought you should be aware of this post from gardenweb member KENWORTH1 who recently purchased a BS range like yours that has the swing out to the side type of doors. The ranges that were off the line this past fall are such that if you pull up on the doors as you open them they fall off. Please read through his post for the whole story; he had this happen and it caused damage to his tile floor and the range kickplate. I don't want to see this happen to you. It sounds like BlueStar may have corrected this step on the manufacturing line, but it's worth making sure that whether you end up with your current but repaired BlueStar or a brand new one that it does not have this issue.

KENWORTH1 has had to deal with other negative issues around his BlueStar purchase and repair. He's given them a lot of latitude in fixing the problems, probably more than is typical. I wouldn't want what has happened to him to happen to me.

I'm not saying there aren't happy Bluestar owners because there are, but as I continue to research on multiple sites I find enough negative reports that show the disparity between what BlueStar advertises and what they deliver that I have serious and growing concerns. The apparent poor quality assurance worries me. I find I'm much less willing to take a risk on purchasing a range from them.

Here is a link that might be useful: BlueStar problems

This post was edited by pentimento on Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 11:48

o

pentimento: thanks for the link. i'll read what kenworth1 has to say.
update: my dh and i agree that, although the range is a seemingly great one, we won't feel comfortable with them because of their bad customer service. they need to revamp their whole department! i called the VP, this morning and told his voicemail that his offer to fix my stove/oven and give me a 1 year warranty is unacceptable and if he had any questions to please call me. he hasn't called! as you remember, this offer is less than what the salesman offered me at the beginning! wow! just to confirm that the president knows what the VP is saying to me, i'll update him too!
again... thank you all for your support. i'll be updating you as to what happens in the future.

o

so i've emailed the president, michael trapp and he responded quickly:

"Thanks for the emails. I have been consulted throughout the process.

I am very sorry that we have not been afforded the opportunity to satisfy your requirements.

I suggest you go back through the channel with Capital. They will reimburse your purchase and you can buy a brand you are comfortable with.

Thank you very much for your time and patience."

WOW!

o

Wow ... that's pretty amazing that they'd rather just refund your money and lose you as a customer than to give you a range that meets the criteria you ordered and works properly.

Anyway, it sounds like a satisfactory resolution, so I'm happy you have that. I'm just sorry that you've lost weeks of prime cooking time in your kitchen because of it.

I have to say, this has definitely colored my opinion of Bluestar and I'm filing this information away for future appliance-buying.

o

Sounds like they "fired" you. Sometimes companies would rather walk away then continue with the transaction. They might have decided the risk was high that you still might not be satisfied.

Honestly, I might have done the same thing. What started as a need to vent blew up to a huge group rant. People were writing the company, directing them to posts on GW, ranting that based on this they won't consider buying one now. It got out of control because it was public.

I can't afford a Bluestar range. I think the lesson is to give companies time to resolve issues in private first.

Edit: let me add that I understand your side and I do empathize with you.

This post was edited by 1929Spanish on Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 18:44

o

i actually felt bad for possible loss of potential bluestar purchasers from this issue i started! i am blessed that i found out how they are before i started using this stove/oven. now i can go out and purchase from a company that wants to keep their customers satisfied! all a learning experience ... i hope i've helped others here on this site.
thanks again to everyone!!! :)

o

persimmon--

If it will make you feel any better about not wanting to discourage potential customers by your story, I really, really liked the Bluestar and really wanted to buy one when I purchased a range two months ago. But, in the end I didn't have enough faith in the company to buy one. There were just way too many of these types of incidents being reported. And, you also need to take into account that this is a small company. So, they must have quite a large percentage of failure rates if there are so many people with complaints about quality and customer service responses.

o

I am very grateful all this info is public. And I would be so very grateful if GWers wrote letters on my behalf!

Companies would love for us to stay silent. I hope we continue to share our honest experiences!

I have a feeling this company wouldn't have resolved this properly if it had been kept private. I think they would have strung Pers. along, and tried to make her feel grateful for whatever (little) they did. If I buy a high end range, I want an absolutely perfect specimen installed in my home. If anything is going to get bent or scratched, I get the honor of doing it myself!

I think Bluestar blew it.

o

I actually think it is a very good resolution that they are willing to refund your purchase entirely. Good for them!

And persimmon3, good luck and enjoy your new range purchase. :)

o

You have helped others here on this site, so thank you for posting. I know I've learned a lot both through reading and participating. I'm glad to hear about the resolution with Bluestar. I wish you the best as you complete your new kitchen.

o

Still curious - did you ever figure out if you received the correct burners you ordered or not? That point is still ambiguous and I think it makes a big difference in the tone of this thread. It's a much bigger deal if they sent you the wrong range initially as opposed to you receiving the correct range with some damage to it. In any case, I'm glad it has all worked at for you to some extent.

o

I agree with you, Weissman. I re-read this whole thread last night for the express purpose of determining the answer to that question. The OP never answered, despite being asked a couple of times. I totally agree that the answer makes a big difference.

This thread was, in my opinion, quite unfortunate and disappointing. Usually GW is better than this.

o

weissman & nycbluedevil: i asked about the burners and told how many holes i had in the 5 burners that were all the same to the salesman, the VP and the President and none of them gave me a clear answer. the salesman said that although the number of holes were the same the power of the gas going to each was different and, even if i could not see a difference with my naked eye, they were indeed different and they were what i ordered! the VP never really answered my question but veered the conversation in another direction and the president didn't answer at all! i figure that the 5 burners with the exact same number of holes are all the same ... whatever that is! i did get one simmer. the repairman said they were all the same too but the salesman said he was wrong!
update: the salesman is going to pick up the stove when he can find a pellet and a delivery person ... tba! now i start over from square one looking for a new gas range!

o

I would urge you to change your appliance dealer.
He is the root of your problems.

Good Luck.

o

I am another would-be Bluestar buyer (48," all the bells and whistles) who has been following this saga with interest, and we're now seriously re-considering our purchase as a result of how the Bluestar President and VP handled "persimmon."

I first learned about Bluestar here on Gardenweb a year or two back, read profusely, went back and forth to the dealer, and asked more questions here. If it weren't for Gardenweb, I would never have heard of Bluestar.

Why on earth, in this internet-driven day and age, any quality domestic manufacturer of large appliances still thinks it's OK to handle such a situation with anything less than a prompt, courteous and positive response, beats me.

We have a reputable local Bluestar dealer, but still, this has been a cautionary tale, indeed.

o

Oh, this makes me so sad.

I am a Blue Star owner. I love cooking on it. My friends love cooking on it.

With that being said, some of these friends are about to build new houses. They really want Blue Star ranges or range tops. I always thought I'd push my clients to look at Blue Star too.

In all fairness, I'm afraid I have to show this thread to them.

I had a Capital in my last house. It had some issues. But Capital was so responsive to correcting any issues that I really feel that they are more cognizant of the internet and especially Gardenweb. I truly believe they value the customer and know the good that comes from good customer service.

Oh, so why no Capital in this house? Well, for one, the Blue Star is made locally to where I'm located. I liked that. And two, the simmer burner had me at "I had to turn up the burner to melt the chocolate", (that was the rep at the local demo).

I'm wondering, does anyone know if Trevor sells Blue Star now? If so, I'm wondering if he could have helped with this issue.

Bee

o

Why on earth, in this internet-driven day and age, any quality domestic manufacturer of large appliances still thinks it's OK to handle such a situation with anything less than a prompt, courteous and positive response, beats me.

This thread appeared on the Kitchens forum. Some similar threads that were posted to Appliances instead were deleted after the OPs were attacked. There are multiple ways that fans of a product can affect what appears on a Web search.

o

Don't agree the appliance dealer is the root of the problem at all. Looks to me like the manufacturer who cannot deliver an $8K stove or stand behind it.

That said, the dealer can help or hinder. But having been through a similar situation, I can tell you that there absolutely was no way for me to have changed the dealer. The credit was issued to the dealer by the manufacturer. Fortunately it was a big dealer with clout. The dealer then issued the credit to me. Credit, not a refund. I was obliged to purchase from the same dealer as a result. I tried the refund route and they let me know very clearly that it wasn't a refund.

This often gets overlooked in the quest for a bargain but where you buy, who you buy from, and what kind of business they have really can ramp the aggravation quotient up or down should something go wrong. It's very important to pre-shop the dealer as aggressively as the product.

o

Without defending the president of Bluestar, nor criticizing the OP, I think this whole episode might have been better resolved off line, and out of public involvement. At least initially, and then if no resolve was made within a reasonable time ...

This post was edited by ctycdm on Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 9:24

o

I don't know that I agree that this would have been better handled privately. I suspect that the OP would still have a multi-thousand dollar range that had

a bent frame under the doors so the doors won't close properly, convection fan not screwed in properly and the repairperson said that it's too close to the wall so he needs to make something to prop it out (which mandy at BS said not to let him do!), and screws not screwed into a bar under the grease pan... which is missing altogether!

in addition to the ultimate mystery of what burners are actually installed on that range. Blue Star makes very big promises for a "completely customizable 6 burner gas range to meet your specific cooking needs." Gotta say, my specific cooking needs include actually being able to use the range for cooking. At that price point I would expect better from the dealer than delivering a unit with multiple defects followed by his unwillingness to make it right. I would expect a robust back-up from the company to ensure that their quality merchandise was actually quality upon delivery. None of that happened here. The final resolution to refund the OP's purchase price was delivered by an email that bordered on sulky. Not sure the refund would have happened at all without the spotlight. Were I in the market for this sort of range, I would hope the GW community wouldn't keep this kind of pertinent info to themselves for fear of hurting the manufacturer's feelings. It's kind of like being willing to point out that the Emperor has no clothes vs the lackeys that won't say it.

o

Unfortunately, none of these sorts of problems with Blue Star are 'news'. Over the years, I've read too many similar sagas over on the Appliances forum to have given me confidence enough to purchase a Blue Star when I was in the market for a cooker three-four years ago. (Bent frames, oven hinge problems, ignitor problems, too hot oven door, dodgy customer service, etc.) I would have loved to have the fire-power of a BS but there were just too many stories like this one. You'd think that BS would have gotten their act together by now but apparently not. Esp. since options for open burner cookers are even fewer now than when I was shopping.

Ultimately, I went with a Wolf range top and I've been very pleased with it except to say that the 15K burners come up way-short for stir-frying. Has been in service just over a year and have had Zero problems.

o

I completely agree with Suzanne. Great post.

o

I am coming to this thread late, but I want to mention that I saw a Bluestar "Inspired by Marcus" range that Persimmon has, the one with french doors, on display at Abt Appliances (a huge appliances retailer outside of Chicago). Down the aisle, just a little ways away, was the more "standard" Bluestar RNB range with the single oven door.

The Bluestar Marcus range did not feel solid, and up close, did not have the luxurious appearance I had expected for that price. It was interesting to compare the range with the nearby Bluestar RNB. The RNB was the hands-down winner, looked great. Meanwhile, the "Inspired by Marcus" range's french doors were rickety. Also, the racks did not pull out smoothly.

The thing is, there was a Bluestar REP at the store that day! Very knowledgable guy, but he spent a few minutes trying to close the french doors, which wouldn't close, and spluttered about the racks that wouldn't pull out properly (can you say, "awkwaaard"). Opening the doors was not easy either. The funny part was that when the rep moved over to the RNB, his face lit up - you could tell he really loved that machine. I mean, luuved that RNB. Couldn't stop talking about how great it is; when talking about how you could flip the grate for a wok, you'd think he was talking about the winning the lottery or something, he was so enthusiastic. Did not appear to feel that way about the Marcus, though he didn't say anything of course.

My advice, just from this experience with the rep, is that if you want the wonderful features of the Bluestar open 22k burners, exchange your Marcus version for an RNB. You can gussy it up with a cool paint color if you want (I know there are a few GWers who have done that and posted awesome pics). Just MHO.

This post was edited by akchicago on Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 19:01

o

Agree with " ctycdm ".
Had a certain member of this forum not intervened with Bluestar, the outcome might have been different.
Now, lets hope the OP gets a new range so we can all move on.

This post was edited by willtv on Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 21:50

o

The outcome might have been different or it might not have. But the bottom line is that social media is here to stay and what you just saw above is going to be the norm, but on steroids, in the future.

Millenials are growing up in the model of instant online feedback, and a companies like Blue Star had better get good at handling public issues better, because what happened above is just a VERY kind and VERY gentle version of the way they use social media and make near instant decisions on whether a brand is in or out of favor. Millenials arent buying pro appliances (at least not en masse) yet ... but they will be and it's not that far into the future.

o

After reading this post (and wanting to give Bluestar the benefit of the doubt)..... ok, changing my post...

Went to look at a Bluestar range today and was very impressed. I can see how it is not for everybody and why it has its fans and stirs debate.

It appears to be a very well made range and it is surprising the OP had such issues with it.

It is also too bad BS would not take a more CS approach to solving it if in fact that was the case.

But there must be more to the story that we are not hearing.

There doesn't seem to be much that could "go wrong" with the product. Pretty simple and straightforward.

Hope everything worked out for the best.

I think my initial reaction was to hop in and blame Bluestar. That being said, they obviously are making a significant product with good qualities. it seems the dealer didn't do anyone any favors and deserves most of the blame.

Not sure of the whole story but on second thought - there are always two sides to it.

Good luck.

This post was edited by goodguy2k2k on Mon, Apr 15, 13 at 16:33

o

Goodguy, I really enjoyed your post before you edited it. It had a lot of good information, I feel they and everyone still could benefit from. :)

o

I thought it was too preachy so I edited it.

o

Goodguy2k2k - I wrote in my post above that my impression of the Bluestar RNB is that it appears to be much better quality than the Marcus range that the OP has. Though the Marcus range costs more. I was as impressed as you by the RNB. However, the OP is talking about the Marcus model, and my advice was to switch out her Marcus model with all its problems, and get an RNB which has the high btu's that she wants.

o

update: the place where i purchased the bluestar came to pick mine up yesterday. the delivery person put it on a crate and our syrofoam around all corners/top and then wrapped it with plastic several times over then wrapped it again with a strong plastic binding. i wish it had been delivered that way ... maybe it wouldn't have come damaged! it just came in a cardboard box with nothing surrounding it! odd isn't it? i was sad to see it leave because i really wanted a blue star. this weekend there's a demo for the new wolf ranges so i'll go look at these. every salesperson i have talked to recently have said the same thing: if you want good customer service then go with the wolf! one salesperson told me that they don't carry bluestar because of the company's 'bad' CS ... and i didn't tell him about my experience!
goodguy2k2k: if you have any specific questions i'd be more than happy to answer them. i think i have been very open in telling every detail on my blue star issue and not holding anything back. i wanted a blue star and would have purchased another IF the president and his VP were nicer about the situation but they weren't. there is no way i can purchase from a company who doesn't care about their customers.

o

goodguy2k2k - what part of the story do you suspect we don't have? Are you implying that persimmon holds some responsibility for having received a damaged range?

I'm interested to hear that you don't think much could go wrong with it. What makes you think that?

Honestly I think you would have to have strong nerves to order a Bluestar based on this story and the others floating around.

persimmon - I hope you find an alternative range that you are much happier with and that it is perfect and you never need to find out how the customer service is! : )

o

i will explain since it appears this is an emotional subject with the possibility of people reading more into things than are really there.

Firstly, if I were Bluestar Management, I would have extended her warranty, repaired the range, provided some compensation, taken ownership of the issue and apologized. As I said in my post "it is too bad Bluestar did not take a more CS approach..."

I also said " there must be more to the story that we are not hearing..." which means we have not heard Bluestars side of the issue and we never will. Therefore, as much as I support Persimmon and feel bad for what she experienced, how can I get on here and rail on Bluestar when I can't know all the details?

For example, who installed the range? Was the range tested at install? Was the Bluestar installation checklist filled out? As far as I understand, the installer is supposed to complete the burn-in process before leaving ... Why didn't the installer notice the loud sound then? Maybe the situation was; whoever installed could not test as the kitchen was not yet complete? I just don't know.

I am not in anyway saying these things did not happen or that Persimmion is not 100% justified in being completely frustrated - she is. Perhaps the installer wasn't qualified. perhaps the installer was not familiar with Bluestar. All I am saying is I can never know everything that occurred, how the damage occurred, so how can I crucify Bluestar and conversely, how can I defend them? - I can't.

I think it is easy to get on here and jump on the bandwagon and either defend or crucify without knowing all the facts.

I can imagine all the issues Bluestar has to decipher like the questions I asked above. While I think they should go overboard in compensation as it is the "right thing to do" when you product messes up - I also do not know the issues the company is facing. It is not a $2 big mac and you are giving one free to compensate the customer. It is a big, heavy item, that takes people, trucks, time and a whole lot of money to diagnose, repair or return. I can understand them not wanting to send a return truck the instant an issue occurs.

That being said, BS management needs to read a book on customer service as they could have handled much better. But faced with the obvious emotion of this forum over the issue, they probably just opted to cut their losses and return the item. Can you imagine BS coming on here and trying to explain themselves. It wouldn't work and they can't so they probably did what they thought she wanted. I mean geez, they had non involved parties sending the President emails ... it was obviously spiraling out of control for them.

But I will never have the full story as only one side gets to get on forums and tell their side.

I am counting on you guys to remind me of that next time I am posting my displeasure with some manufacturer....lol.

Persimmion, I am glad you got some resolution and it is too bad you had to go through this in the first place. Best wishes in your search for a new favorite range. I will be incredibly jealous if you end up with a Wolf. Best wishes.

This post was edited by goodguy2k2k on Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 23:32

o

goodguy2k2k - I really liked the post you deleted with the do's and don't's of customer service and how satisfied customers ultimately cause more cash to flow to the company. It was really thought provoking and spurred a fair amount of discussion here at my house.

One thing I thought you missed was an extension of how a satisfied customer tells, say, 10 people and one of them buys, etc. Of the 9 who don't buy Product X, any of those 9 are likely to tell others that they've heard nothing but good about Product X, so a third party then buys because the original customer told someone who told someone. An example would be silgranit sinks - I don't want one, but if someone was looking for an alternative to stainless steel, I would certainly offer that lots of people find silgranit to die for.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here