Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
staceyneil

Would you buy a range hood on eBay?

Stacey Collins
15 years ago

Here's a SS hood with baffles and supposedly a 900 CFM motor, for less than $450. I so badly want it to be a decent buy!!!!!!

What do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/30-UNDER-CABINET-BAFFLE-S-S-KITCHEN-RANGE-HOOD-VENT_W0QQitemZ380107522892QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRanges_Cooking_Appliances?hash=item380107522892&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Things that make me go, "uh-oh":

900 CFM but only 3.5 somes max. Sounds too quiet to be true.

6" duct. For 900 CFM shouldn't that be at lease 7"

????

Comments (21)

• smilingjudy
    15 years ago

Hmmmm...I would be suspicious of a brand I could ONLY find on ebay. Yes, that should be at least a 7" duct for 900 cfm. But soooo cheap! They have good feedback. Might be worth the gamble.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Am I the only one who can't get most of that page to show? I tried with IE and with Firefox.

I bought my oven on Ebay, but it was a well-known brand purchased with full warranty from an established brick and mortar store and authorized dealer, with thousands of feedback comments. I would want a brand I knew and that I knew something about their warranty service. This one has good feedback, but most say things like 'fast delivery.'...A few comments on quality, but is that only by looking at it or using it? Just glancing through, I don't see much about the hood performance, or how good they are about dealing with problems. That's the problem, though, they are feedback on the transaction, not as much on the product itself.

• kitchenredo2
    15 years ago

I was wondering about these as a well.

The company that manufactures them is Kitchen Vent. I called the ebay seller (626-780-6995). He said they are manufactured in Taiwan. I am going to do more research - I too like the price! I will post what I find out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Vent

• Fori
    15 years ago

Someone here with a great DIY Ikea kitchen whose name escapes me has one of the eBay hoods, although I'm not sure which brand. I think it was satisfactory. Anyone remember who it was?

• boxerpups
    15 years ago

Sounds like a wonderful deal.

We have bought many things on E-bay. Our most expensive was a $6000 mountain bike. (I stressed about this but my husband wanted the bike) We have never had a problem, but we are super careful.

If you do buy from E-bay be sure to check out the feed back percent 100% and how long they have been an E-bay member. You can also read the reviews of other people who have purchased items from the seller.

Be sure to buy from someone who offers you a full refund return policy. That way if you don't like it you are not stuck with it. You can ship it back after receiving credit on your account.

Good luck

• qs777
    15 years ago

We bought from euro-kitchens a few years ago and I believe they were on e-bay at the time which was where I found them. We got a 36" glass/steel wall-mounted model rated at 900 cfm for around $400. We decided to take the risk since we couldn't afford a $1300 one so we could conceivably replace this one a few years down the road if necessary. I don't remember the somes but ours is fairly quiet on the 1st and 2nd settings we use most often. We also have tall ceilings/very open concept so ours is probably louder than it would be with lower ceilings. HTH

• msgreatdeals
    15 years ago

I have been selling on eBay for 10 years and have almost 7,000 feedbacks. Running a 100% positive feedback at the present time. (jeans4you). Always check the sellers feedback and pay with a credit card or Paypal. Plenty of buyer protection between Paypal and your charge card......it's called a CHARGEBACK.

• shelayne
    15 years ago

We bought our range hood on eBay. My hubby has been installing it this week. So far, so good. I have bought almost everything online, including a lot of things off of eBay.

I looked at the hoods from Kitchen Vent as well, but decided on a different one, as they did not have "buy it now" as an option when I was looking. If they did, I probably would have bought from them. They were very good about responding to my questions.

Always use Paypal or a CC, and you are covered.

• justnotmartha
    15 years ago

Shelayne, could I ask who you bought from?

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks folks! (Sorry I double posted this. It wasn't showing up earlier, several hours after the original post, for some reason!)

I used to be an eBau seller so I'm pretty good about checking feedback and paying with Paypal... just worried about the quality!

I have been bugging every local place for months for scratch-and-dents, and religiously checking craigslist for floor models and stuff, and the best deal I have found so far is $900 for a $1200 VentaHood... which is still $300 more than my budget can take. I guess I am inclined to take a chance on this one, unless someone tells me it's a piece of cr*p....

Thanks!

• jbrodie
    15 years ago

I didn't view the link... Is this hood just the decorative part or does it include the actual vent? If it includes the vent I'd be very careful! A bad vent could potentially cause a house fire if stuff built up in there and it wasn't working properly. It would make me nervous to go with a brand I couldn't research at all. With most things I'm all about Ebay, but with this I'd be concerned about safety. You can find hoods that are less expensive than vent-a-hoods that are trusted brands. I'd maybe go in that direction. Just my two cents!

• shelayne
    15 years ago

JustnotMartha,

The seller is enjenjen.

I cannot remember the particulars of the hood, but it has 830(?) CFMs. I did see the *exact* same model on a different site when I was doing research, and for the life of me I cannot remember the name. It was oversold on that site, and I believe they come from either Taiwan or Japan.

The instructions were atrocious, however. Hubby and I had lots of giggles over them. He would pull out this little booklet with the one page and say, "Well, let's just see what it says on my very thorough handy-dandy instruction sheet." He's an HVAC guy, so no worries.

If I wasn't in the middle of painting (just waiting for hubby to finish something, so came here--natch) I would try to find the company that I *believe* manufactures our hood. I do remember the model number was the exact same, just the letters and numbers were reversed. And YES, the price was much better on eBay.

• faucetman886
    15 years ago

I bought a chimney styled Broan 900CFM stainless steel range hood on Ebay 2 years ago, brand new in the box for $300 + freight. It was everything that it promised to be and more, we could not be happier.
    As with anything on Ebay make sure you read the ad carefully and ask ANY questions before bidding. The major thing to watch for is unfair freight charges so make sure you know the exact amount before you bid.

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, if it was a known brand like Broan, and a model I could research, I would feel better. But it's not... it's just this company's brand. Here's some of the pics and specs (this one looks a little different than the one I saw yesterday, 720 cfm:

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• justnotmartha
    15 years ago

I looked at this one, but decided on another and ordered it last night. For one I liked the shape better, and for two the feedback for the seller actually listed satisfied buyers of that product (and several other range hoods). For the price I figure it's worth a shot, and if it doesn't work I can handle replacing it. Ebay has a 10% off coupon right now, so with shipping it was $303.10!!

Here is a link that might be useful: the one I got

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks justnotmartha-
    I looked at that one, too! Right now i think I want the extra air capture area that the other one has, for steam, etc. If I had room I would get an even taller one with a huge air capture area, but I need that storage space in my tiny kitchen!

Anyway- let me know how you like this one when it arrives. It's a great price and if you like it I would definitely consider! Maybe the fan is powerful enough to just suck it all up even w/o air capture zone...

• Fori
    15 years ago

10% off coupon? oboy. :)

I'm looking forwards to your review!

• chris2009
    15 years ago

what did you think of the Euro-Kitchen / Cavalier brand, for those who bought them?

• jkpita
    15 years ago

justnotmartha:

I would like to hear your review as well. My concern about that one is the lights- it says 2x 3 watt LED.

Please let us know if the lighting is adequate on the cooking surface. Thanks!

• justnotmartha
    15 years ago

I certainly will - it should be here Wednesday . . . though it may be a while longer before it's up. I plan to at least wire it in long enough to check it out (haven't mentioned that part to hubs yet) so I should hopefully have a review soon.
    I have lighting directly above the range already so I wasn't too concerned with the light from this. We'll see . . . I'm antsy!

• kitchenredo2
    15 years ago

I looked into the KStar hoods (the ones on Ebay). I was interested in the K1012A (3503D) 36" model. I checked out the website for the seller. I noticed they listed that the hood was both TUV certified and UL listed.

I went to the TUV website and searched on the certification number and it did not come up.

I searched on the UL number and it listed a number of hoods that were certified, but the one I am interested was not.

I like the price point, but I am wary of a hood where I can not verify that it has the certifications listed by the manufacturer.

TUV website: http://www.tuvdotcom.com/pi/web/index.xml?LanguageChanged=en-us&strUrlId=&strUserId=

Company Website: http://www.kstarus.com/index.php

UL Online Certification Directory Website: http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/template/LISEXT/1FRAME/index.html

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!