Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
misawachick5

Anyone use general finishes antique walnut gel stain?

misawachick5
11 years ago

I've seen lots of posts about gel stain in java. Has anyone out there used the antique walnut gel stain color? If so would you please post before and after pics?

I'm wondering if it might be an option for us to get away from the orange in our existing cabinetry. We're thinking they're maple. Home is 14 years old. Thanks so much!

Comments (16)

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

Same question here. I used Java, but DH thinks it's too dark.

• Homeblessings
    11 years ago

I'd like to see pics too. I'm thinking of doing the trim in our kitchen and family room (which is a reddish oak color) with it. I was planning on painting it, but my husband would prefer to stain it.

I've used the GF java on our bathroom cabinets and on our stair railing, and really like working with it. The java would be too dark for the trim in our home though. It looks black to me unless the sun is directly hitting it.

• Deedee800
    11 years ago

Starting with it today for bath. Keeping my fingers crossed.

• Deedee800
    11 years ago

After 1 coat of gel stain. I was a bit intimidated because of the raised panel doors but if I do multiple light coats, I think it will work. Beauty part about it is, skipping the stripping. Wash the wood, let it dry and lightly sand first. I've refinished 2 kitchens stripping cabinets down and all before so if this works, I may do the other two baths!

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

You can go "darker" with gel stain easily ... my original tests were with Georgian Cherry, which was too red, so we added Java to the mix.

If you use a medium true brown, lightly applied instead of the Java painted on in thick coats, you will shift the color away from the reddish maple to a browner color.

• Homeblessings
    11 years ago

How are you applying the gel stain? I found if I used a cheap little craft store paint brush to do the inside parts of the panel it worked better then using a foam brush or sock method, which tended to get globs of stain that were hard to spread out.

I did the crevices first with the small brush, and then the rest with either sock or foam brush. This was with the Java color.

Thanks for trying the walnut stain, and then posting your results. I think it is looking better already. Please continue to post after each coat. It would be so helpful!

• misawachick5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OOH yes, please keep us posted! It's looking good !

• misawachick5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OOH yes, please keep us posted! It's looking good !

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Hi Deedee,
    any updates on the GF Antique Walnut?

• pebscat78
    9 years ago

Bump .... Would love to see photos of the antique walnut gel stain if you have them

• Bunny
    9 years ago

My attempt using GF gel stain was not a success. I'm not sure what went wrong, but the second coat was a disaster. I'm willing to take the blame. I ended up starting over with another GF product, their oil stain.

However, I gotta say that Brown Mahogany gel stain is the most gorgeous color. It doesn't look red (I guess that's why they call it "brown"). It's not too dark. Over golden oak it had a beautiful craftsman look.

• navi_jen
    9 years ago

Linelle...can you share some pictures? I found a gorgeous oak butlers pantry (early 1900s) for a relative steal but the finish seems a bit too orange (the arch salvage place says it's pickeled). I love craftsmen would love to know how you've battled the orange!!!

Thanks..

• mistyvonne
    9 years ago

this post needs more pictures!!!

once we move I am going to attempt to gel stain my standing piano...

just not sure what colour to use

• Bunny
    9 years ago

navi_jen, sorry for the late reply, as I just found this thread again.

I'm sorry to say I didn't take a picture of the Brown Mahogany. When the second coat went bad (basically randomly lifted off portions of the first coat, exposing the original stain), I was too mad to take photos. I wish I had, because it would have been more useful trying to figure out what went wrong.

The attached photo is one of my favorites in Houzz. My desk wasn't quarter-sawn oak, but the color from the Brown Mahogany was reminiscent of this wood.

I regret applying the first coat with a sock, even though everyone raves about it. I think it went on too thick and there were definitely streaks from the sock's ribs. Maybe I didn't wipe it off well enough or wait long enough between coats. Anyway, by the time I came up for air, I had stripped and sanded the desk down to bare wood. I called General Finishes and a nice man told me that since I was at bare wood, he would stain it the conventional way. That's what he would do. So I did and I'm a happy camper. However, the color isn't as nice as the gel stain Brown Mahogany. It's a mid brown, but definitely not java.

Here is a link that might be useful: [color similar to GF brown mahogany[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/master-suite-bath-traditional-bathroom-seattle-phvw-vp~302707)

• dmtimeshare
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Adding the next coat of gel stain before the previous one is COMPLETELY dry results in partial removing of the previous coat. The thicker the coat, the longer the necessary drying time between coats. A thick coat can easily take 48 hours or more. Humidity slows drying time, too.

Best results come from thin, multiple coats, thorough drying, & a superfine, light sanding between coats. Good luck & happy staining! :)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH