Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tbo123

simply White

tbo123
10 years ago

Hi all.

I've been going nuts with paint colors but decided on BM Simply White mainly because I can't make a decision and folks around here seem to like it.

However, I noticed a post in this thread here:
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg04152223305.html?44
that breezy girl says there is no yellow in the Simply white formula. Well, as you can see from the attached formula pic, there is yellow. And, I see yellow.

What I am wondering is if BM changed their formula over the years and all the raving about Simply white a couple years ago and for that matter 'white dove' is a mute point.
I like the pics I've seen of Simply white kitchens but my samples just seem yellow in comparison.

(I also see White dove as creamy/yellow, not grayish as some have mentioned)

Does anyone have a can of SW in their garage say over a year old they can check to see the formula?

Thanks

This post was edited by tbo123 on Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 14:43

Comments (10)

• windycitylindy
    10 years ago

Simply White (OC-117) from 2012:
    OY 0x .2500
    GY 0x 1.000

Clearly there's a difference in how they're mixing it compared to what you have, but that OY in mine does stand for Yellow Oxide. It may be that the underlying constitutents haven't changed but that they're mixed in a different way now. I'd ask BM about that if you're concerned.

It looks creamy/yellowish on the side of the can, but my cabinets read as very white. In fact, sitting here looking at the can and glancing across the room at my cabinets, I wouldn't think they're the same color, but they absolutely are.

• tuxedord2
    10 years ago

Mine is a few months old. Varies tremendously in different light. In darker light, it matches to my cloud white chip so it seems to have a yellow undertone to it. In brighter light, it's a brighter white and even looks more on the "cool" side. So regardless of the formula you really do have to see it in your light.

• chispa
    10 years ago

Ok, had to go out to the garage. I used Simply White for all my trim/doors 2 years ago and my son's room this past year. Here are the labels ...

2/25/2011
    Simply White
    W333 - 1X (Gallon)
    Regal Semi-gloss
    Y3 0x 1.0000
    S2 0x 6.0000

9/17/2013
    Simply White (2143-70)
    522 - 1X (Gallon)
    Aura Matte
    Y3 0x 1.5000
    W1 3x 29.0000
    S2 0x 4.5000

• tbo123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys.
    Hmm. It just occurred to me that the type of paint base, IE: Advance, Impervo, would probably make a difference for the formula. But I do see lots of yellow in these formulas.

I think subconsciously I'm trying to find formica white (what's there now:)

Thanks

• Bunny
    10 years ago

I think lesmobo is spot on. My paint choice came down to Cloud White or Simply White. There is yellow in both of them, which I wanted for a creamy white. I chose CW, but there is VERY little difference between them. SW is slightly cooler and brighter, but I only came up with that as a way to describe the difference. I found Dove White to be a bit dingy looking in my kitchen.

I know that Breezy says there's no yellow in her SW, but perhaps in her kitchen it's undetectable.

• tbo123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes Lesmobo is spot on. As the SW is mostly white everywhere except my kitchen. LOL..

• robynstamps
    10 years ago

I'm using Dove White in my kitchen. I have my sample door sitting here and it does not read creamy white at all. We were going to use Swiss Coffee but when we put the two side by side we could see that the SC read creamy yellow. The DW looked vibrant and cool. My kitchen will be grays and whites. Good luck with your choice!

Here is a pic of the Dove White next to Steel Wool BM.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

I had so much trouble deciding between so many whites but then narrowed it down to BM Cloud White, BM Dove White and BM Simply White. Each one looked different as I moved it around the kitchen as I was going to pain my cabinets. I am still unsure what I am doing. Two neighbors had a contractor doing their kitchens and floors and he stopped by today unannounced saying he was almost done the jobs and wanted to know if he could give me a quote. He is going to get back to me on Monday. It is my tax season so I really need to get my work done and not be obsessing on my kitchen again but I like what I see in the other two Condo's. My place is a townhouse so my home is bigger but he did a wonderful job. He does tiles, floors and kitchens. I need to find out who did the neighbor's recessed lights as he did a great job and the one who did mine did a terrible job. I need recessed lights in my home office.

I liked the BM Cloud White best in my kitchen's lighting but I did not have the recessed lights back then when I was trying to decide. I really would be happy with any of these three whites.

• Sasha Grey
    8 years ago

Is there a difference in Simply White OC-117 vs Simply White 2143-70?