Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
SF Bay Area - Gao's Custom Cabinets

Posted by skigyrl177 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 17, 14 at 13:36

I'm in the middle of the hellish process of picking a cabinet manufacturer. I'm hoping that all of everyone's expertise can give me some guidance. I'm working on a good sized kitchen and I'm trying to squeeze every penny I can out of my budget. Here's what I've been quoted for Plywood boxes with Cherry stained shaker doors.

Dynasty: $22K
DeWils: $25K
KitchenCraft: $22K
JStyle (custom shop): $25K
Gao's Group (custom shop): ~$15K (I'm waiting for the final quote to come back on this shop, but it'll be around here)

As you can see, I'm ALL over the place.

I've seen one post about Gao's on here and there are some Yelp reviews. But I'm looking for any more information I can get to set my mind at ease. Would love for anyone with experience with Gao's Group to let me know how it turned out.

Thanks so much!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: SF Bay Area - Gao's Custom Cabinets

Looks like the offer Chinese sourced products and some offerings ordered from other makers boxes and doors. Not at all a true custom shop, just a custom assembly shop. Doesn't look like they actually make anything. No clue about finishing, but in CA, they're not going to be able to offer the toughest factory finish that a factory cabinet can offer. Not even in the same league as something like Dynasty. That would be a complete no brainer.

o

check what hinges and drawer slides they use. I find that it indicates how well it will hold up over the years. Some fancy cabinet hardware from overseas costs hundreds ! I know Blum is a favorite but realize Blum makes a wide range like how a car manufacturer makes a wide range to consumers. I'd check for emissions release data reports just to be on the safe side. especially if the wood is pre finished elsewhere.

o

Thanks for the input. I'm very weary of them just because it's so cheap. I do believe the build their stuff there. They said they order their plywood from Oregon and their doors from some companies that look like they're US based. Then they build, finish and stain everything in the SF factory. I saw the spray booth and stacks of plywood. I don't know. They also said they use Mohawk as a finish for their stained products.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here