Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvhorses_gw

Backsplash ? for mom2reese

luvhorses
15 years ago

Fabulous kitchen, BTW! Please give specifics about your backsplash; it's gorgeous!

Comments (15)

• mom2reese
    15 years ago

Thank you!

It's recycled glass tile from Lunada Bay. The tile is called Sumi-e, and I got it in the Ohara Natural color in 1x2 brick.

It comes in lots of other gorgeous colors as will as in a matte finish ("silk").

Here is a link that might be useful: Various colors of Sumi-E tile

• luvhorses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Many thanks!! I'll check it out!

• sweetd313
    15 years ago

I'll second that luvhorses! The backsplash is great, and I'm ordering a sample. I'm also bumping because I saw more questions in the orginal post about mom2reese's backsplash!

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Love the BS....since you've answered what it is here...don't bother answering me on the "Design Elements" thread.

• mom2reese
    15 years ago

Thanks, everyone! I'm so glad people like it because there's a lot of it in my kitchen, LOL.

I bet I'm probably the only one on this board that chose their backsplash first and then picked their countertop material to match it, LOL.

I had originally ordered that tile in a different color (Hida Natural), but after months of waiting for it and then finding out that Lunada Bay was having trouble sourcing the material to make it, I went with one of the colors they had in stock.

As I mentioned in my Design Elements post, I wanted something a little imperfect to balance out some of the very contemporary/modern elements of the kitchen. This tile did the trick without looking out of place. I also love its chameleon like quality. There are several different shades/colors in it that allow it to go with many different countertop materials (hence my 10+ trips to 6 different stone yards to find the perfect granite, LOL).

• mom2reese
    15 years ago

oh, btw - I ordered mine from Walker Zanger (my builder gets a discount). If you have a WZ near you, they have them on display.

• sweetd313
    15 years ago

Just received my samples from mosaicsource..GORGEOUS!!! I think my backsplash search may be over. They definitely have a handmade quality to them, I have the Ohara Natural 1*2, and the large brick Ohara Natural, the hida 1*2, the Atami and the Sendai 1*2. I can see why mom2reese liked the Hida, it's very pretty, and a lighter color than the Ohara. The atami has some green to it, and the Sendai is more blue. I'm leaning towards the Ohara Natural. All VERY pretty.
    Mom2reese- Your cabinet color is the same as mine, if I hadn't seen your backsplash, I would think that the Ohara would be too dark. Do you wish you had a lighter color?
    I also noticed that the mosaicsource place is having a sale this weekend. I wonder if could find the tiles cheaper somewhere else?

d.

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

mom2reese... I think buying the backsplash first is quite reasonable! Who here has ever bought a pair of shoes they fell in love with and then worked an outfit around them?!

• mom2reese
    15 years ago

sweetd - yay!

I wouldn't say I wish I had gone with a lighter color because I love the end result so much, but I do sometimes wonder if the lighter Hida would have been more fabulous, LOL. I kept the walls, trim, and island light, so I think it helps balance out the darkness of the tile.

What's funny is that Ohara was not even on my radar. When I was at the tile store, I was trying to decide between Hida and Sendai. When they couldn't source Hida, Lunada Bay said that Ohara was the closest in coloring to Hida, but darker.

I'll ask my KD to see if she thinks I would have been better served with a lighter color.

re: price - that is a great price on mosaicsource. When I was looking last summer online, the cheapest I found was $31/sheet. The mosaicsource price is just a $1 more than what my builder paid (I saw the invoice). Shipping might be pricey - those suckers are heavy.

• mom2reese
    15 years ago

I emailed my KD and this is what she said:

"I actually think the Ohara worked out magnificently in your kitchen. That said, the other poster who is considering Ohara because they have cabinets with the same wood, should not automatically choose Ohara. I think the most important factors are: color of wood, color of painted walls, color of counters, and amount and quality of natural light in the room. If you put a "design board" together of all the elements then the right tile choice will probably just jump out at you.

In your case, it was correct - even necessary - to choose the tile immediately after choosing the cabinetry. That one wall defines the character of your kitchen AND your living room, and is the showcase. Although tile should be a careful selection in most kitchens (since everyone always ends up looking at tile anytime you stand at a counter), normally it would not be a decision prior to counters. So, not knowing anything about sweetd's kitchen, I would say that a design board of wood, counter, paint material examined in the actual kitchen -- will reveal the correct glass color choice.

e.g., In my own kitchen, I had narrowed down to four VERY similar reds, for my hutch. I put the elements all together (tile, stain, soapstone) -- and there was just no question as to which red was the right red. It was freakin' obvious LOL."

As a side note, I have NO direct natural light in my kitchen, but the adjacent family room has three large windows and the back door is full glass.

HTH!

• sweetd313
    15 years ago

Wow! Mom2Reese! You're awesome! Thanks for getting this information from your designer! I hadn't even thought of creating a design board! I am constantly surprised, and amazed, by the kindness of the posters on this forum! Thanks again!
    d.

• mom2reese
    15 years ago

You're welcome!

She also said that tile choice comes before paint choice since that's easily changed out.

• sweetd313
    15 years ago

Mom2reese- One question- Is the tile on your backsplash tiled over drywall or cement board? My installer seems to think it needs to be tiled over cement board...
    Thanks again!

• mom2reese
    15 years ago

sweetd - hopefully it's on cement board. I was 8.5 months pregnant during the install of the glass, and we weren't living in the house. That whole time was kind of fuzzy for me, LOL.

In any case, Lunada Bay said that the tile (and any glass tile) should be installed on cement board because drywall can pull moisture from the thinset, causing the tile to pop off. It may or may not cause problems, but a stitch in time and all that...

Maybe Bill has some thougths on this?

• sweetd313
    15 years ago

Thanks Mom2Reese! Bummer- that's the same information that I found. I just had the drywall re-installed after some electrical work was needed! Too funny! I love that tile, so I might have to bite the bullet, and remove the drywall again, and install the cementboard.

8.5 months pregnant AND a kitchen remodel! wow! You're a trooper! : )