Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sail_away

Time to Decide Which Granite Edge

sail_away
11 years ago

So we're going to be scheduling the templating for our kitchen counters, which means it's time to make up our minds on what edge to use. I really like the clean lines of a straight, squared edge, but I don't want to get that because I'm afraid it would chip more easily AND I would worry about children bumping their heads on a square corner of our island.

So now I'm trying to figure out which edge to use. The fabricator offers a total of 6 free edges that provide an almost square edge look---1/4", 3/8", or 1/2" either beveled or rounded. I would prefer the smallest rounded or beveled edge possible so that it will look almost squared off, but I'm willing to accept a larger bevel or rounded edge for the sake of making the granite more durable. As long as it's not a bullnose, I think I prefer the rounded rather than beveled.I want to be sure to minimize the risk of chipping the edge of the counter. What would you recommend?

One other consideration---they round or bevel only the top edge of the granite at N/C. I assume there would be an upcharge if I wanted the bottom edge done, as well (I've seen that identified as an eased edge). I really feel I need to have the bottom edge rounded (or maybe beveled) on the island, again for safety reasons. However, I'd rather not pay extra to have it done on the perimeter countertops. Do you think it would look okay if the edges of the granite on the island was slightly rounded on the top and bottom edge but only on the top on the perimeter?

Comments (4)